iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2022 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2021, 09:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I finished sawing my present job today.....but I didn't.  ::)

Yes I finished the customer's cut list sawing a total of 13,451 bf in 7 days.

Today I broke my last week's daily sawing record with this 3,060 bf of 12' 2X4's & 2X6's shown above.  ;D

I finished the cut list but he still has more logs and this is not nearly all of them.  The sawmill will stay while PatD and I make the Project trip and we will resume sawing when I get back home.

I need a break because the last two jobs has totaled 34,599 bf in 19 days sawing.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nebraska

Working today and on  call for the rest of  the weekend. It was a beautiful evening, I haven't done any milling for a few weeks supper wasn't quit ready so I snuck down to the mill and opened up an Elm log that has been laying around. Just thought it was almost as  pretty as Walnut.
The bark inclusions, carpenter ant remodeling and little bit of rot/spat give it character.  Just wasa pretty evening out and I got a chance enjoy the outdoors and the sunshine and dink  around with my mill. 

Walnut Beast

Awesome wood and awesome evening 👍

Southside

Quote from: burdman_22 on April 01, 2022, 11:18:05 PMThis little guy was hiding in my sweet gum. Anyone have idea what it turns into?   

I am shocked @Magicman didn't answer your questions.  For him it turns into lunch...:D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

redbeard

Slabbed up a interesting big leaf maple for a customer, sometimes these pretzel type logs can be hassle clamping them. This one went real well and blocking and clamps stayed solid. The lower trunk of tree was loaded with figure they made beautiful slabs ( no pics ) of those.
Apparently occording too customer a tree blew over and rested on this limb and the limb grew around it and back into the tree.
Widest area of these slabs maxed out the Hud-Son 60 at 56"

This Road Runner piece showed up on the second cut .
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Walnut Beast

Looks pretty awesome!! Always some cool stuff. Glad to see you posting 👍👍

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Southside on April 02, 2022, 11:24:47 PM
Quote from: burdman_22 on April 01, 2022, 11:18:05 PMThis little guy was hiding in my sweet gum. Anyone have idea what it turns into?    

I am shocked @Magicman didn't answer your questions.  For him it turns into lunch...:D
Magicman find that picture of what you do with them 😂

Magicman

Quote from: redbeard on April 03, 2022, 01:29:47 AMSlabbed up a interesting big leaf maple for a customer
As usual, you saw some crazy amazing stuff Jeff.  Your customer had to be very plea$ed.  :)

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Quote from: Walnut Beast on April 03, 2022, 02:21:02 AM
Quote from: Southside on April 02, 2022, 11:24:47 PM

I am shocked @Magicman didn't answer your questions.  For him it turns into lunch...:D
Magicman find that picture of what you do with them 😂

Different grub/beetle.  The one that burdman pictured is a nasty dude.   steve_smiley

firefighter ontheside

Does it taste like chicken Magicman?

When I sawed red elm for the first time, I too thought it rivaled walnut for beauty.  It was so pretty freshly sawn.  The red elm I put in my floor did not look as pretty as when fresh sawn.  Perhaps it was because I used waterbased finish and not oil.  My planer was not happy planing it either.  Maybe it would do better now that I have helical head.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Nebraska

Yeah I wish I could bottle that color up and keep it. Tung oil seems to come as close as anything.  

Brad_bb

Working on the last of my Osage logs.  Only about 10 left(which are more or less fairly straight).  Here's the last one I cut.  I know some of you might not call it a log... but I do manage ones like this, wider than the mill,  on my LT15go.  The trick to doing these is to get the first flat face so it can then reference on the mill cross bars.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Walnut Beast

Love the pictures!! You are getting me jacked to get into my Osage!! 

Peter Drouin

Load after load, Timber frame almost done.  8)

Giving a bid for one more today. :P
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Resonator

Must have been fun loading beams in that side rail trailer.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

jb616

Quote from: Magicman on March 31, 2022, 08:35:04 PM
I may have broken a daily sawing record for me today sawing framing lumber.   :o

2688 bf of 16 foot 2X6's and probably a dozen 2X4's.  Just me and a 60's customer and a 70's tailgunner.  The two college student "stackers" came just as I was leaving at 4:30.  

We plan to saw tomorrow and Saturday which will put me in a "git-a-long" getting ready for our Project trip.  Due to family commitments we can not leave until next Thursday which will put us there at noon-ish Friday
Lynn, are you sure that you are slowing down? I swear I'm getting tired just LOOKING at your pictures  8).  

Magicman

Quote from: jb616 on April 04, 2022, 11:39:15 AMLynn, are you sure that you are slowing down?
smiley_old_guy I can't allow those 20 something year old tailgunners to see my weakness.   

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Magicman on April 04, 2022, 01:40:31 PM
Quote from: jb616 on April 04, 2022, 11:39:15 AMsmiley_old_guy I can't allow those 20 something year old tailgunners to see my weakness.  
I really don't think you have one. None that they will see anyway.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SawyerTed

I had a college professor who was known to have said, "Students are made to suffer." when he presented the heavy writing assignments to our class and our class grumbled about the amount of work.  He just laughed and we did the work or not.  I did it and yes I suffered, but I did it. :D 

So I can imagine Magicman's adaptation to my professors statement, "Tailgunners are made to work."  :D  If they are working hard to keep up, they can't see what they sawyer is doing for the sweat in their eyes. :D :D
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WV Sawmiller

My total sawing today consisted of resawing a customer's one 8' long X 16" Wide X 5" thick pine 1 side LE into a 3" thick mantel and a 2" shelf board for a guy I met at the flea market yesterday. It was dry, soft wood and just one cut and I told him no charge and just send me some business in the future. 

I don't want it to become habit forming but every once in a while I try to do something nice for someone. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 04, 2022, 08:36:59 PMI don't want it to become habit forming but every once in a while I try to do something nice for someone. :D
Hmmm.  You may want to try that with Old Greenhorn  :D.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: WDH on April 05, 2022, 08:06:51 AM
Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 04, 2022, 08:36:59 PMI don't want it to become habit forming but every once in a while I try to do something nice for someone. :D
Hmmm.  You are any to try that with Old Greenhorn  :D.  
Well, I don't know what you meant to say there Danny, but I think I agree with you. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WDH

I love and HATE autocorrect.  I went back and put in what I originally typed before the Autocorrect Angel/Demon kicked in. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Resonator on April 04, 2022, 10:20:05 AM
Must have been fun loading beams in that side rail trailer.

You can see the green banding on the load. I set units, with the 1044  straps on dunages. 
;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Southside

Same here - sling load a lot of customers trailers with sides / fenders / small children / welded to them.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!