iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2022 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2021, 09:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutterboy

Daburner, sorry you suffered bad, but I'm happy you are over the worst of it. I have had it twice, once pretty bad and the other time very mild. You will be tired for a couple of weeks but each day will get a little better. Best of luck.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Magicman

I finished the trailer load of 19 logs today but he knocked down more trees after I left the job site this afternoon that I will saw tomorrow before folding the sawmill up and finally going home.  move_it
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

cutterboy

Still sawing ash. That six foot log on the mill started out as a nine foot log but was bent on the end so I cut two 16" rounds off it. The last two logs are on the deck and in the background the slab rack has slabs cut to length ready to move to the barn.

cutterboy

That six foot ash log really gave me some nice lumber.

I got 13 boards out of that log and 10 of them were completely clear. I don't see that very often.
Now the next log is on the mill but I won't be able to get to it till Monday.

The last log is waiting it's turn and looks really good. That will be a nice way to end the ash sawing.

Happy sawing.....Cutter 

Magicman

You can bet your Ash dat is purdy stuff !!!  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on October 07, 2022, 09:01:40 PMbut he knocked down more trees after I left the job site this afternoon that I will saw tomorrow before folding the sawmill up and finally going home.
Yes he did and I finally finished bucking logs and sawing at ~3:30 yesterday afternoon.  I loaded er up and got home with the sawmill at 8:30 last night.

No more sawing for me until mid November.  R&R is calling.  :)

Magicman

I did have a bit of fun with some of the logs:

What do you do with the "holey" logs?

I made holey 12X12's.

This Oak log was very odd.  The other end of this log was normal.

A closeup showing what appeared to be a totally different species e/w bark.  What??  Me suspects that da logger was playing games and rammed a sapling into the hollow log and chainsawed it off.  I'll have to admit that he made me look.  ::)

Here was a log that became a 12X12 with absolutely beautiful wood.

But the bark could not keep a secret.

And neither could the end grain.  My thoughts immediately went to WDH.  :'(

Andries

Quote from: Magicman on October 09, 2022, 04:31:47 PM. . .  My thoughts immediately went to WDH.  :'( 
This post would've been right up his alley.
 I'm guessing that his reply would've contained an abundance of multi-syllabications and 'closed tyloses in the parenchyma'. . . and he'd be correct 99.9% of the time. He was unique.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

doc henderson

with holy logs you pray!  yes the saw marks appear to have different orientation.  an no I am not speaking Woke.   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

ERC 10 +,  2 x 4 x 8 feet.  full dimension.  then 20 + ERC 1 x 6 x 8 full dimension.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Wlmedley

Cut up this hickory today.Thought it would be harder to cut than it was.Did have some stress.Kept turning and it turned out pretty good.First hickory I have ever had on my mill.Don't know what I'll use it for.Cut a couple 1/2" thick boards.Might make my grandson a sled and put thin pieces on runners.

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Magicman

Quote from: Wlmedley on October 09, 2022, 05:53:51 PMCut a couple 1/2" thick boards.Might make my grandson a sled and put thin pieces on runners.
Or propellers for his airplane!!  :D

btulloh

I'm going to add the following in remembrance of a famous member who would no doubt reply to a hickoy post with:

smiley_devil smiley_devil smiley_devil smiley_devil smiley_devil

HM126

Wlmedley

If it twists up very bad I'll cut it into firewood.You don't know until you try :laugh:
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

doc henderson

so, 160 bf for his order.  206 including some real rough stuff extra.
he may not want the extra, and I can find uses for it anyway, even the rough stuff works in potting benches ect.

OlJarhead

Slabbing up some old world wood this week.  Black Walnut, Maple and Black Locust all of which came from the oldest homestead in the area.  The house was built in the 1890's which for out west is pretty old ;)  And the back half of the house was actually built in the 1860's and moved to add to the newer house and make it bigger.  Much of the wood was dead standing and obviously branches however the customer is a woodworker with the right tools to resaw and finish so most of what he had me milling was 2 1/8", 3 1/8" and 4/4.  I think the big stuff he plans to resaw on his big bandsaw mill.

I will say the Black Locust was DRY and HARD HARD HARD!  I was having serious trouble with it and 10* bands which is all I have in stock (30 bands out for resharp are 4* and 7* (747's and 7's) which leaves me with some 4's ready to go to resharp and a bunch of 10*s :(  So ya, I was changing bands often which only helped a LITTLE....sheesh Locust gets like rock!  Best I could do was get it down narrower in width which helped.  at 13" the saw was almost stalling in the cut at super slow speed!  Choppy in parts but got it flat that way...wow

2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

tule peak timber

Pushing the limits this morning

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Resonator

Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Old Greenhorn

What did you do, hand carve the maximum size log that WM says will fit on that mill just to prove a point? :D :D :D :D

Holy COW!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Tom King

At least it wasn't just big on one end.

tule peak timber

No we slaked the other side off on the same mill. Note the mill has an extension as this is also a long log. I prize the crappy deteriorated jacket wood for box beam building. 
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Bruno of NH

Another load of big pine logs and 10 cords of black locust logs hit the mill yard today

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Brad_bb

So I picked up these today. Found them on Facebook marketplace yesterday.  They are urban trees, therefore guaranteed to have metal in the butt logs. The 2 butt logs are 24" and 20" Inside the bark respectively x 12', but they have a thicker than average sapwood. I did pay $1000.  I had to haul a skid steer and bring another guy with me, which probably cost me another $450.   I've been out of Walnut Logs for a while and I need one of the butt logs for something I'm making.  I would've preferred to pay less, but I've had a hard time getting any lately.
The trees are on fire here this week in Indiana – beautiful.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

doc henderson

we had a few fires in the past few years, and people are trying to move walnut logs, trees damaged by fire.  you do not know what you will get.  and everyone thinks they are worth 10K.  i have never paid more than 100 bucks for a walnut log,  so I think you did well.  It is usually a friend of a friend or relative, and are helping them out.  Local markets, not much commercial logging here in the mountains of Kansas.   :) :) :)

Thank You Sponsors!