iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2022 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2021, 09:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpassardi

FireFighter, Those are all good points. Do you shoot for 6" x 10" or so?
Do you advertise them on Marketplace or?
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

firefighter ontheside

I kind of let the log tell me what mantel I can get out of it.  I try to keep a similar ratio of height to width, so something like 6x10, 5x8, 4x7, etc.  Some bigger logs, I will take a few live edge slabs off the top and bottom and then a mantel out of the middle.  When I first started sawing I would saw around the pith and then give that to mom and dad for firewood.  I figured out I was throwing money away.  I mostly sell them on FB marketplace and occasionally craigslist.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

bigblockyeti

Certainly seems like there would be less competition, certainly zero from the big box stores, not that their shrink wrapped $27/bdft knotty pine would be considered any kind of competition in the first place.  Offering bigger stuff sure seems to make sense.  Since I don't have a kiln and I'm still sitting on a few cherry and walnut logs, that might be perfect.  I'm pretty sure we're far enough away from each other we wouldn't be competing for the same customers.

Southside

Do you sanitize them before selling?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Walnut Beast

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on December 20, 2022, 01:45:57 PM
I've decided I really need to mill more mantels.  I can sell mantels for the same price or more per bf and don't have to kiln dry them.  Just stack them for a year or two and then sell them.  Sometimes I will run them thru the planer to make them look a little more appealing.  I did 3 walnut mantels and my first cherry one this morning.   Also, I can use logs that otherwise are kind of small for making lumber.  I like these walnut ones where the bark comes off very easily and I can scrape what's left with a drawknife.  People like the look that they have with the dark cambium layer still on there.

Tell us how it works out when you get in a lawsuit. It's been talked about here on the forum of some of the problems not properly kiln & sanitizing. Just remember they may or may not have a case. But be prepared to spend dollars defending. 

firefighter ontheside

I do not sanitize them, but I do treat them with solubor.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

beenthere

Not sure what a lawsuit would be about. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Walnut Beast

Not sure about it Beenthere ? It's been talked about here on the form about the possibility of bugs and other issues in somebody's house. But maybe I was reading things wrong and it's just fine to do that 😂

barbender

WB, maybe you didn't mean to come off that way, but you sounded pretty sure of things the way you worded your post🤷‍♂️
Too many irons in the fire

230Dforme

Good afternoon
We have a beautiful home, I just saw a bug
Will call the lawyer in the morning 😁

Andries

Sometimes it's difficult to get the right tone in an eMail or posting.
But, hafta say, my world really brightened up when 230Deforme let us know that he can connect with a bug-eating lawyer. Good news ! ! 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Walnut Beast

Quote from: barbender on December 21, 2022, 02:02:40 PM
WB, maybe you didn't mean to come off that way, but you sounded pretty sure of things the way you worded your post🤷‍♂️
I guess there is nothing wrong with selling wood that is not kiln dried, properly kiln dried or sterilized and absolutely nothing to worry about morally or liability wise. I've heard and read several stories here of problems and potential problems from several that run a pretty good business on this subject. 

Magicman

The above is twice that you have made references about what you have read here on the FF raising concerns about quality issues and now about morality and liability.  I would like to see links to these conversations.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old Greenhorn

I don't have a dog in this fight, really. But I think this may be one of the threads he is talking about. I know there is another, but I can't find it. I seem to be having some internet issues tonight.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=110567.msg1733633#msg1733633

popcorn_smiley
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

I guess I would say you have to be clear with a client.  I am a hobby guy, but let strangers make a "donation" to cover costs if they want wood.  given my profession, I know about the worry we have about legal stuff.  I cannot do my job if that was all I thought about.  I try to make the buyer aware and what needs to be done to dry and finish the wood.  I guess with them paying they could assign liability.  I would worry most about the newish city guy or the know it all.  I made beams for a husband of a lady I work with.  they have gone through a divorce.  I cut pine beams.  and told him how to sticker and dry them.  One has an almost 90° twist over 16 feet.  He told me and wondered if he could put it on the frame machine at his body shop.  I said, I do not think so but if you still want to put a beam in, I will make another.  He is nice, but like me, he kind of thought he knew it all. :D  He just put them on the floor in his basement.  He admitted he was surprised even though I told him.  We are good.  no lawsuit.  I think if you are commercial, you may have some risk, but i think yellow hammer has delt with this, and the bugs are introduced after drying.  If not sterilized, then do not tell them it is, and if they get bugs, it is on them.  anyone can sue anyone else for anything.  ER docs get sued on average 2.8 times in their career.  I have been sued twice and both were thrown out.  I guess I still have 0.8 lawsuits to go!   :o :o :o :D :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

fluidpowerpro

My sawing contract states that I make no guarantees as to the suitably of the lumber in its end use.

We can't control where a board will end up. It may even be repurposed multiple times during its lifetime. 
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Magicman on December 21, 2022, 08:25:32 PM
The above is twice that you have made references about what you have read here on the FF raising concerns about quality issues and now about morality and liability.  I would like to see links to these conversations.
These guys are experts in my eyes and I
value their information. If your selling to
the public then issues could absolutely
happen. These are just a few examples. I want to make it clear I'm no expert but I think I have a pretty good handle on things. And I can tell you I've learned a tremendous amount from here and many resources. And most all of the people I respect and value their information here all say the same thing if your selling to the public there is a right way and wrong way. These are just a few examples and I've seen many more.  

Walnut Beast

I'm all for everyone doing what they want and making money. But in these crazy times anything can happen. And if you have never been in a lawsuit you don't have any idea how much it could cost you. I know! I had a realtor misrepresent on a easement. And when you are served papers you have to defend. Let's just say it was thousands! 

fluidpowerpro

My feeling is that as long as I don't mislead the customer and say something is kiln dried or sterilized when it's not, I should be ok. I'm not saying I purposely wouldn't warn someone of the risks involved, because I do. 
If after that they choose to use the lumber in an unsuitable application, that's their choice. 
If someone buys standard lumber from a lumber yard and uses it where they should have used green treated, and then it rots, thats their fault, not the lumber yard. 
Wood is a building material, just like steel or concrete. When someone buys any of these materials and builds something, they have assumed the design responsibility. Proper material selection is part of the design.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Magicman

Thank you WB. 

Being that the Forestry Forum is read daily by hundreds/(thousands) of members & guests, it is always better to provide examples/links rather than just make a statement about what you have read.  :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

firefighter ontheside

I'm not going to argue about this.  It would be easy enough for me to bring mantels that are otherwise ready to sell into the kiln when it is time to sanitize, so I will begin doing that.  I believe there to be almost zero risk of introducing termites into a home with my mantels.  There would be signs of termites in a mantel that has been sitting and drying for a year or more.  We have subterranean termites here and they have to have tubes back to the dirt.  I guess the main risk would be PPB.  I'm not sure what that risk is.  Can a home be infested by PPB by a few getting in in a piece of wood?  I appreciate helpful advice, but I do not appreciate my morals being questioned.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Walnut Beast

Firefighter I wasn't directly pointing you out.  I was just meaning in general anybody knowing enough information on the form here and many resources that there are standard ways and not so standard ways. That's all. I'm no expert but I do know walnut heartwood is not very susceptible to insect damage like many other species.

Magicman

When sharing information I would much rather see a link rather than a screenshot.  That way I can read the conversation leading up to the reply and also the replies that followed.  Heck, I might even want to reply myself.  ;D

It's all about sharing information and learning.  

Bill, you have nothing to be concerned about termites.

tule peak timber

Making a cube from a walnut root today

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

doc henderson

will it transform into a table base?
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!