iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A new OLD whats-it ?

Started by isawlogs, January 20, 2007, 02:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

Ya , its a whats-it , aint nothing in my galery to help with this one . Its old , can you tell me what it is and how old it could be ....

It is not Jeff's Christmas gift ..... ;D

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

mike_van

Thats what my F350's frame looked like before POR 15.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Ernie_Edwards

Since it is not the coal Jeff got as a gift could it be petrified Wood?

If it is you could figure its age by counting the rings and multiply by a million or so.

leweee

that's not grandpa's axe head is it Marcel. ???
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

SwampDonkey

Does it have a metallic luster Marcel?  I can't tell. I can't tell really, but I'm thinking it's some kind of fossilized creatures from along the mud flats of the St Lawrence.  I'd have no clue to age, millions at least.  Are they near some grottoes? ;D

Here's some fossils in limestone, actually picked it up in the middle of a tree plantation. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Texas Ranger

Looks like something I gave Jeff a few years back, of bovine extraction.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

Maybe it's a chunk of bark off a pine tree. Or he was cave exploring and chipped off some old mummified bat guano. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

Mumyfied , petrified , fossilized ,  :P  it does have to do with a tropical forest  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Was you far enough up north to get to those old petrified cypress logs and stumps. I've seen pictures of those and it's amazing. Looks like a log laying on bare cobble and not a green spear of grass or anything in site. ;D You can tell it's been cold up there for awhile, and must have happened in a short time span.

Tom

I know what Swamp Donkey's is.  It's a simulation of some ancient seashells imbedded in apparent  sedimentary material to form a rock of conglomerate that was bought in a Canadian owned tourist trap by a Canadian tourist, on vacation in Florida, and taken home where she showed it to her logger husband who thew it away.

There's probably the remnants of a tag on the back that said "Made in Canada".

isawlogs' is a rusty hunk of metal. :)

beenthere

So SD is suggesting there were once trees up north, where it is now cold and barren?  Hmmm? If that is true, wonder what caused dat global warming and subsequent cooling?   :o :o :o
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Furby

Wasn't global warming.
Was shifting tectonic plates.
At one time that part of the continent was in a warmer climate. ;)

isawlogs

Beenthere

Link to a tropical forest

Furby the well informed  :P :P :P

Marcel

Tom

Tom the...................... ???

isawlogs

Tom ......   I aint going there , 
Marcel ... the wise one..... sometimes ...

Marcel

Mooseherder

Is it piece of fossilized Ocean Reef? :P

If not, maybe some botched Brownie recipe that broke apart while you were eatin' with a glass of raw chocolate milk and fell in the crack of your easy chair. ;D

Tom

I figured at first that it was rusted metal, but, how does that have anything to do with a fossilized forest?

Is it fossilized leaves from the forest floor?

SwampDonkey

There was some plate movement , but I'm sure they didn't move that far north. Here's an excerpt from the document. ;D

'Such a forest is therefore evidence that the Eocene polar climate was much warmer than today and that the trees were able to tolerate a polar sunlight regime of continuous summer sunlight followed by months of winter darkness.'

It wasn't tropical, it was a temperate rain forest, like the Pacific NW.

From the document:

'Wide growth rings in the fossil wood, in addition to evidence from associated sediments and vertebrate faunas, indicate favourable growing conditions in a mild, cool/warm temperate climate with high rainfall.'

;)

Furby

Ianab

Combination of both I'd suggest.
They find fossils like that in Antarctica that were laid down when it was around it's current location. Apparantly it was kept warmer by different ocean currents even though it had no sun for part of the year. The Earth has been a lot warmer AND a lot colder in the past. Where those fossilised forest where found has probably been temperate rain forest AND a glacier, several times over.
We can find fosillised shells like Marcels picture in many places here, some are 1,000 ft above sea level now, but they were on the beach or an estury some time in the past. You can still see the sand dune patterns in the river banks out at my old farm.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

I believe the greatest shift was east <-> west Furby, not so much north ^ south during the period of the fossils. ;)  Those trees occurred after the Cretaceous period, which was closer to the present day situation. The major shift at Cretaceous to present day was the breaking apart of NA from Europe and Antarctica from Australia according to your maps. ;)

isawlogs

Tom .
  It has every thing to do with a fossilized forest , it is a part of it .  ;) This peice is 42million years old ( carbon tested dated )

It is on Ellessmere Island in the arctic , I dont know much about Global Warming ... but if there was a tropical forest there once .....  Who are we to think there could not be another .  ???

Marcel

Furby

Actually Donk, look again.
There was a rotation going on.
The area may not have been to the equator, but was much further South.

SwampDonkey

Yes there was some movement, but not that significant. And your talking about a period of millions of years in between the Cretaceous and Now. And it's a lot of conjecture as to when it moved and how much since it's been millions of years. But, one thing is for sure, those fossils are real concrete evidence that trees grew there and they have been carbon dated for age. We also know that a tree's life is just a drop in the bucket compared to the movement of the plates on the earth. ;D

Furby

Yes we do.
Most of us know the flaws in carbon dating as well, so...........

Thank You Sponsors!