iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I almost kidnapped him

Started by dail_h, July 06, 2003, 03:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dail_h

Yesterday I went over to Denton N. C. to the annual "Southeast Old Threshers Reunion",old tractors ,steam engines,sawmill ,ect,ect,ect.While walking through the vendors section,I saw some red cedar porch swings,so I stoped to take a look.There was this young kid therenand I got to talking to him.Boy it was meat,he has to be the most polite ,curtous ,well articuklate young man I've met in a long time.He had made the swings,and jewelry boxes himself.They were spectacular. I asked him if he had sold any swings?He said that he had sold out the day before,and stayed up until 3 oclock in the morning making more.We talked some more about wood,and woodworking,I finally left when a real customer came up.Several times during the day I found myself back at his booth,just talking and visiting.Honest to goodness he was the nicest kid.I think I'da brought him home,but I don't think wife would'a let me keep him.Kids like him give you hope for the future.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Fla._Deadheader

Yep, There's still some around. Just gotta find 'em. No pics? :(

That's one of the shows my Dad used to go to.  I believe the owner is-was an older guy that bought a bunch of Coal Mines, and when the govt. let up, he made a fortune. Always drove Cadillac's ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

shopteacher

Those kids are still around, cept the're never the ones you hear about.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Furby

It takes someone to speak up and tell everyone else about him. Around here the local news stations are in such competion that they love to here about storys like that. ;)

dail_h

I got his card,when I get this cedar I got here on the yard sawed gonna make him a real deal.gotta have one of them swings,and maybe one of them jewelry boxes for wife with something special in it
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Tom

Ah yes.  There are still things happening on occasion that let you know that all is alright in the world yet. :)

Frank_Pender

Yep, it is a pleasure.  We had one of my past students stop by the farm this afternoon with friend of his from the local  communiuty college.  He had been here before some time ago and wondered if he could share the farm with his friend.  I gave them a Gator to drive around and turned them lose.  It was getting near supper time and the wife asked them to break bread with us and they could also knaw on a corn cob or two.   It sure was a fine visit.  Yep, there is hope.  Some of us just have to take the time to speak up with them and listen to their story.   They are mor on top of things than we realize, sometimes.  

I wish you the best on the swing outcome.  If you could share a picture, that would be very graceous of you.  
Frank Pender

Bud Man

Yep, Yep, all what ya'll said is true bout there being good ones out there !  The old expression about doing something good and people telling 3 folks and doing something bad and people telling 10 folks needs to be switched up a bit !  I go out of my way to promote the good ones and firmly believe the Cream Still Rises To The Top.  I just bout quit watching the news cause of there habits of putting the crap at the top.  Thanks Dail H .for the post  ;)  If'n I was In N. Car, I'd probably buy one from him too !
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Patty

That is a real nice story dail_h. Yep to what you all said...there are plenty of great kids out there...we old folks just need to stop and take the time to listen more often. And then offer a helping hand when we can  ;)

Patty
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Den Socling

I like working for the forest products industry because so many businesses are family run. Almost all of my customers are companies with the whole family working around the mill. And they are good people. This morning, I had to go and fix a kiln controller for one of these companies. The "Dad" had a heart attack and died in the woods a couple years ago. The business fell onto his kid's shoulders. This morning, I could see a lot of pressure on that kid but, with the help of his mother (who runs the office) his company appears to be going well.

Thank You Sponsors!