iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another One of those Days

Started by Corley5, October 13, 2014, 09:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

Another in long string  :( :(  My F550 sat for a few days in Grandma's barnyard while we were gone.  Last week we moved it around a bit while putting sideboard extensions on to haul more wood and we made some short trips yesterday and this morning.  I was on my way to pick up the boys from school and deliver a small load of wood when I smelled something burning.  I thought I'd passed someone burning trash.  Then the truck quit.  I coasted to the shoulder and smoke rolled out from under the hood.  I got it opened and the top of the engine was on fire.  I couldn't swat it out with my coat and was just about to call 911 and let it burn when I remembered the two 24oz Monsters behind the seat.  One put the fire out.  I drank the other. 
  From the looks of the charred remains it appears that red squirrels stuffed the area between the heads with grass, chewed up paper towel and a few black walnuts.  I don't think it hurt anything other than the wiring which is toast, pun intended, and maybe some sensors.  I don't know what all that stuff does.  The heat was centered and didn't get the valve covers.  I've got a mechanic coming out in the AM to take a look at it.  To add insult to injury when I called my insurance company for a tow I was informed that I didn't have towing on this truck  :o >:( >:(  I'll get that straightened out tomorrow  >:(  The tow bill was 200 bucks even  :( :( :(  I thought I had full coverage on it and I'm going to check that also.
  We spent several days building nice racks for the truck to haul five face cords to take the pressure off the Dodge Cummins which has a failing tranny so until I get one of them fixed I'm done with firewood with a 100 face cords on order.  We'll concentrate on timber production for a while and killing red squirrels.  I don't know if it was heat from the turbo that started the fire or a short from squirrel chewed wires.  It doesn't matter now.  The damage is done. 
  It's the only piece of equipment I've got without a fire extinguisher.  I've thought about getting one for it too.  Guess I will now.  A Monster probably wouldn't work a second time.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Dave Shepard

That sucks. Hopefully it's just a couple of wiring harnesses and you can get it up and running. I was driving truck this summer chopping and smelled something burning on the $400k chopper. The parking brake had caught fire. I was able to put it out with my water jug.  :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

BargeMonkey

Ouch. At least you got it out before she was crispy. A friend of ours resorted to water bottles and peeing on his 518, with his employee to get it extinguished. You should put one of those"M" monster decals on the hood when you get it fixed.  :D

redprospector

While they're both down, take the engine out of the 550 and put it in the back of the Dodge. Now take the Cummins out of the Dodge and put it under the hood of the Ford.
Then you'll have a truck you can depend on.  ;)

I've always claimed the fact that a Cummins is a 500,000 mile engine. I just can't figure out why they would put it in a Dodge.  ???
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

lopet

Sorry for your trouble, that really stinks.  I always thought getting a few of those little fire extinguishers  for some of my equipment. That's a good reminder.
Hope your getting it gone again soon.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

snowstorm

if you go to    ford parts .com...........you can look at the parts break down and the price. the glow plug relay is in the valley of the motor if the critters chewed on those wires and not the harness to the injectors. it may not be to bad. the injector wires go through the valve cover gasket

SliverPicker

None of it sounds like much fun. If its got tires (or tracks) its going to eventually give you trouble.

My only question: What is a "monster"?
Yooper by trade.

Ed_K

If you get the small extinguisher's make sure they have the metal heads as the plastic one are for indoors only.
Ed K

beenthere

Quote from: Ed_K on October 14, 2014, 10:09:45 AM
If you get the small extinguisher's make sure they have the metal heads as the plastic one are for indoors only.

For use indoors or just for storage indoors ??  Would like to hear more about the two heads. Break when they freeze, or what?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

Monster Energy Drinks.  http://www.monsterenergy.com/  I used a Zero Ultra as an extinguisher   
  The good news is, great news actually, my insurance will cover it under the comprehensive portion of my policy with a 100 dollar deductible.  Whew!!!!  The mechanic is coming out shortly and the adjuster will call me within 24 hours.
  I thought I had full coverage but after being told I didn't have towing I was more than a little concerned.  Towing isn't available on commercial vehicles through Farm Bureau unless it's a vehicle use only for personal transportation and then it only covers 50 dollars of the tow.
  I'm still losing production but at least it's not going to cost me bunch of $$$$$$$ to get it fixed.
  I can't complain about my Dodge at all.  I was warned about their auto trannys but this one has 251,000 on the original tranny. 

Ed_K

Beenthere, the plastic one are for indoors only,as they will freeze and break. Was told this by the company that maintains my extinguisher's on my equipment and in my pickup. Ins. reg's you know  :( .
Ed K

Corley5

And today the Dodge's drivers side wheel bearing that was replaced a year ago failed.  Oh well  ::) ::)

Firewoodjoe

I'll have wood orders waiting too. Sorry about your luck. And those dodges will eat wheel bearings like candy. Sold my third one a year ago. Good trucks though

barbender

They are spendy bearings, too >:( What was exactly was the problem with the old style bearing that they needed to go to the unitized sealed bearing?
Too many irons in the fire

coxy

its not just dodges that eat wheel bearings them gms love them to :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ScottAR

Everything is going to sealed hubs these days.  I guess they are faster to bolt on while going down the assembly line. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

timberlinetree

My ford f150 has plastic/metal wheel bearings? Glad your truck is going to get fixed. Fire extinguisher saved our f450 wood delivery truck. Hope your up and running soon!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Small Slick

I had a farmer call me because his barn cleaner was trip ping the breaker. When I got there he said its more than that my hay mow fan is smoking too.

What happened is the mice had chewed through a bunch of wires and my fire extinguisher saved a barn full of jersey cows. When we got it put out and the water hose running on the embers; the look on his face said he wanted to vomit.

John

Corley5

The first set of bearings I replaced at 90,000 miles.  That set lasted August of 2013 and well over 200,000.  One of those just failed.  I've had good luck with them until yesterday  :)  I know others who seem to replace them all the time.

jdament

Our log truck lit on fire.  That battery cables rubbed through on the hydraulic hoses and let the hydraulic oil.  My brother was driving it, went through one fire extinguisher and did not go out,  the house where it died brought out water and he finally got it out by disconnecting the batteries.  Almost list the truck that day. 

glassman_48

corley5,
I almost lit up a school one time when I was doing a putty glaze window, there was a mouse or squirrel nest under the wooden sill and a piece of putty lit up and fell and touched off the nest.  I now carry fire extinguishers in all vehicles and make my employees take them out for any windows involving a propane torch.  Glad your insurance is gonna help.  I just purchased a chevy duramax diesel 3/4 ton and pulled my 45 horse tractor to go and process a semi load of wood for my sister yesterday.  Man what a difference that truck makes.

Nate379

I have at least one extinguisher on every piece of equipment and vehicle.

Saved a truck last year.  The $300 or 400 I spent on a dozen fire bottles was really cheap compared to burning up a $10,000 truck fully loaded with $1500 of firewood.

Quote from: lopet on October 14, 2014, 12:10:44 AM
Sorry for your trouble, that really stinks.  I always thought getting a few of those little fire extinguishers  for some of my equipment. That's a good reminder.
Hope your getting it gone again soon.

Thank You Sponsors!