Building my Retirement Home or "My First 5 Year Plan"

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, March 23, 2016, 08:43:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosehunter

"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Stephen1

As it all goes up and you get to help is such a great experience!
Thanks for sharing
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

fishfighter

Weekend_Sawyer

She's buttoned up for the winter. I didn't get to do much on this part. Had to get back to work and start saving up for the next part.

soooo what is next?
well for one thing I really need to figure out the layout inside.
Right now I know for sure where the foyer and stairs go.
I have a good idea of the bedrooms layout.
I know where the kitchen goes but not its layout.
In there somewhere needs to be a full bath, laundry room, dining room and living room. I need to figure out window and door placement. Then we can think about plumbing and electrical.

But right now it's a big hunting blind.
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Raider Bill

Will the master bedroom be on the bottom floor? Think knees as we age..
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

moosehunter

I am impressed! The Tyvec is installed right side up!

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

btulloh

Nice deer blind!  I would have gone with the camo tyvek, personally.  :D :D :D :D
HM126

doc henderson

looks great.  if you have any 2x4 scraps, lay out a floor plan, and tweak based on what your COO thinks, assuming you have one!!! ;) :) :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Weekend_Sawyer

Bill,
There will be a master bed/bath in the loft and 2 more bedrooms on the main level. The plan is to occupy the loft as long as the knees allow.

Mike,
My builder has an eye for detail. ;D

Dr,
I plan on laying out using survey tape and push pins.

Jon

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thecfarm

I don't think I have said this in this thread,but have on others.  ;D Three foot door everywheres. Easier to move furnature and easier to get a wheel chair into each room. A high toilet too and make sure the bathroom is big enough to get a wheel chair in too. We have a walk in shower too.We don't even have any high cupboards and only one low cupboard,that section only came with a cutting board. Brenda had a home before we got together. I got tired of putting things back into the lower cupboards at her house. This place we have all draws. Pull it out and can get at what she wants and take care of it too. A walk in pantry is a must too,with lots of shelves. Our home has been tried out a few times with her in a wheel chair too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Weekend_Sawyer

Well it really felt like spring this weekend in Connors Hollow.
I used my brothers Cat 941 to skid a couple of logs that I'll mill into posts for my garage doors.

A couple of nice red oak logs 11' long that I'll square down to 6x16 posts.

It was truly a beautiful day to be out in the woods.

In mid April we will get back to some serious work. Were going to put decking around the house and put the metal on the roof.

Jon

SwampDonkey

Adios, until next time.

PS. I don't want to read of a dozer fire on the build site. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Nebraska

It really is good to see your progress, it keeps me optimistic, especially during the day while tied up with that work thing.  Yes maybe I can accomplish what I want.

doc henderson

Yes, my job is really interfering with my retirement too!  :D :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Weekend_Sawyer

Tomorrow I pack up my skid steer and various tools and head for the hills!
In these weard times it's great to be able to get away and into the woods.
I honestly was afraid the state lines would be closed before I could get there.

Were going to be a 4 man crew. My general contractor and his helper, My brother Chris and myself. I had originally planned on 6 people but every one is afraid of the virus. To tell you the truth I am too and I'm glad to be getting out of the DC area.

Our plan is to build 10' decking all around, giving us a platform to build 12' 4x12 pitch roofing all around.

Exciting times in these strange days.
Jon

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Weekend_Sawyer

Man am I happy with our progress! I spent 2 weeks in the middle of April and have been going back up Thursdays through Sundays since. My local guys are true craftsmen.

Jon

Walnut Beast

doc henderson

Jon that looks fantastic.  did you consider putting a porch on your place?!!!   :)   WOW!

fishfighter

Raider Bill

Jon,
You need a ramp so we can pull our bikes up on the porch.
Looks great!!!!!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

samandothers

Really fantastic!  The porch will be a great place to enjoy life, not to mention the protection of the window and door areas.

Weekend_Sawyer

Yep, there's 2000 sqft of covered porch all the way around.
The main level of the house is 1600 sqft. I got more deck than house!

Jon

Thank You Sponsors!