iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lt 40 hydraulic hose

Started by moosehunter, July 03, 2020, 08:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosehunter

Had my first hydraulic hose failure today. Only an hour from home ::). Told the customer I'd be back next Saturday and headed home for repairs.  About 3.5 hours removal, trip to hydraulic hose shop and install. I still need to put covers back on but the hard part is done. 
 Fishing the hose back through the frame was the hardest part by far. Was pulling with mechanic wire and had it keep hanging up on things inside the frame. 
It wore through on something. Need to make it work again to see what. It was the hose that lifts the back stops then the claw turner, right near the backstop hydraulic cylinder.
mh

"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

barbender

I just did that one this spring, it's not fun👎 And that's coming from someone that pulls hydraulic hoses on forestry equipment quite often.
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

I used this.  I had called Wood-Mizer and gotten the length of the replacement hose.  Connected the new hose to the old hose and pulled it right in. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GAB

Quote from: Magicman on July 03, 2020, 10:22:17 PM

I used this.  I had called Wood-Mizer and gotten the length of the replacement hose.  Connected the new hose to the old hose and pulled it right in.
You sly fox You!
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

moosehunter

Mm, that's a great idea! Why didn't you tell me at 2 pm yesterday before I did it? I will do that next time though. The biggest difficulty I had was the hose catching on things inside the frame. Your solution would probably eliminate that.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

GAB

Quote from: Magicman on July 03, 2020, 10:22:17 PM

I used this.  I had called Wood-Mizer and gotten the length of the replacement hose.  Connected the new hose to the old hose and pulled it right in.
MM:
Can you reply with a description of pictured coupling.
I think I'm going to try and purchase one to put in my sawmill tool box as a special tool.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

barbender

It should be just 3/8" jic male to male coupling

terrifictimbersllc

and 1/4 for the smaller diameter hoses

Woodmizer had them.....here's the Wood-Mizer part # and description for the 1/4 to 1/4 one, can probably get the 3/8 one there too......
016539Union, 1/4TB-1/4TB JIC, Small Hex

Or this supplier or similar....https://www.hydraulichoses.com/2403-SAE-070101-fittings-p/2403.htm
2403-06-06. 71 cents. 3/8 is called 06,  they call them tube unions
2403-04-04.   61 cents. 1/4" is called 04

OR...if. you have a bolt of the right thread, you could just cut off a short threaded portion and make your own join.  There's an advantage to keeping the join as short as possible, when pulling it through around corners/obstacles.....

the 1/4" one is 7/16-20 thread
the 3/8" one is 9/16-18 thread
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Tacotodd

I worked for NAPA for 10.5 years and I am familiar with this kind of language, including so much of the hydraulic information and I made MANY hoses and was able to come up with a lot of the different fittings that people needed. That and the time (and frustration) trick that MM shared are great. 

Now, to just keep the old hoses to have them made locally so that you don't have to wait on delivery from Wood-Mizer. Or just be prepared to wait. That all depends on your patience level, and of course cost comes into play. But there is nothing like OE!

I never had a fitting blow off the end of a hose, but several co-workers did. Again, nothing like OE!
Trying harder everyday.

Jim_Rogers

When I had to replace mine, we tied a rope to the old line and pulled that through the frame. We secured it with twine and taped over it with black tape so the end would not catch on anything in the frame tube.

Worked for me, twice.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

barbender

The one I had to pull was for my backstops I believe. The fitting caught inside the rail on something, I ended up having to take something off the frame rail (don't remember what) to access where it was hung. Just the way it goes sometimes.

Thank You Sponsors!