iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Splitting wood in space

Started by 4x4American, June 28, 2015, 01:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

Think it'd be easier or harder than here on earth?
Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

Harder. No gravity to help, and one whack and the piece would keep going until it hit another planet.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

4x4American

Say you were on Mars and you had a chopping block. 

Baseball would be fun though, for the batter, not the outfielder  :D
Boy, back in my day..

clww

Harder. No gravity, and it won't burn. :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Justify008

Ya but no gravity means all those really big heavy pieces on earth are not so heavy in space

JohnW

doctorb

Harder.  When you place the round or large chunk in one spot, there would be very little force making it sty there.  When you swung the maul, your feet would go flying.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

landscraper

Moot point, there's no trees on mars ::)

Wood in space would partially split itself, no?  The air molecules trapped within the wood fibers would be acted upon by the vacuum of outer space and I bet that the result would at least be some fracturing or tearing of the wood fibers as that happened.    The water in wood would evaporate/boil also I'm guessing due to the lack of ambient pressure.  So at least the wood would be below 20% and you could sell it on craigslist. 

However, if you took gum or elm firewood into outerspace, space would get tired of trying to split it and send it back to earth as a flaming asteroid.   Many people don't know that is what happened in Siberia in 1908.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

4x4American

The plot thickens...

Allright let's try to get a FF sponsored trip to space to solve the mystery.
Boy, back in my day..

cousin jw

A persons' muscles atrophy in space; would the fibers in a tree grown in space be similarly atrophied? If a tree grown in space is brought back to earth would it cut, split or burn the same as the same species of tree grown on Earth?

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

cousin jw

I should have phrased my comment differently. Would a tree (or any plant) grown in zero gravity or in an area with significantly different gravity from the g-force on Earth have different characteristics from the same plant on Earth? If people have to grow food on extended space missions would fruits, vegetables and seeds form the same way in space as they do on Earth?

AnthonyW

'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

4x4American

Interesting, AnthonyW...pretty silly topic, huh!
Boy, back in my day..

Hermio

In fact, if you had low gravity but the right temperature, water and nutrients, trees (and people) would grow much larger.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!