iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new plane on the way

Started by thedeeredude, September 09, 2009, 04:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedeeredude

Has anyone used the LeeValley low angle jack plane?  I have a gift card to LeeValley and they will be down here in October.  The math is pretty simple if you ask me ;D  I kinda like the low angle jack idea, but I've never used one.  Im also looking at the Lee Valley number 6 sized plane. 

Dodgy Loner

I've never used one, but I've heard great things about it! I would definitely go with a bevel-up plane, be it the jack plane or the smoother. The ability to change cutting angles so easily is a great feature.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

thedeeredude

That's what I'm thinking. And the toothed blade.  I have trouble working with sassafras.  It usually has reversing grain and even the straighter grain likes to tear out.  Plus. I really like the feature of being able to close the mouth rather than moving a frog.  I don't understand why all these plane makers until now had the adjustable frog but standard mouth.  But now Stanley's new premium planes have a solid frog and a adjustable mouth, but I've heard of the problems with them.

Dodgy Loner

Never used a toothed blade, but I saw a cabinetmaker use one on one of Roy Underhill's episodes. It looked very effective! The adjustable mouth is a wonderful feature, I agree.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Thank You Sponsors!