iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norwood HD36 vs Hudson Oscar 330

Started by dsprenkl, February 06, 2021, 11:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsprenkl

I've been looking to buy a mill for over a year now and I'm ready to to take the plunge. The only issue is that I keep going back and forth between these two mills. I like the frame and track setup of the Norwood but the flywheel bearings on the Hudson seem to be heavier duty. Anyone have issues with bearings in the Norwood? I've heard nothing but great things about Norwood but haven't seen many reviews about Hudson. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks. 

trimguy

I don't know anything about either mill, I just wanted to say, Welcome to the forum. 

Patrick NC

I have a hd36 and like it. No problems yet, but I've only had it since September. Don't know anything about Hudson mills bit I've heard they make some good equipment too. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

farmfromkansas

You don't see many of the Hudson mills on the forum, but look at the info on the posts as you read, did see someone had a Hudson.  Most of the discussion is about Woodmizer, Timberking, Cooks. You might also check out the EZ Boardwalk, it is priced good compared to other companies for the size of mill you get. 
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

wbrent

Not sure it is the same but I have the Norwood LM 29. 2 1/2 years in and haven't had any bearing issues. Haven't even replaced a belt yet. Although probably about due. 

dsprenkl

Thank you for the responses. I made up my mind and will be ordering the Norwood tomorrow. I've seen a ton of reviews from satisfied Norwood owners and there just doesn't seem to be as much out there in the Hudson mills so I'm going to go with the HD36. From what I hear it will probably be a few months before I get it in though due to all the delays. 

BandsawBen

I owned an oscar 30, probably the same machine, it had a briggs 16hp electric start. Very simple machine. I cut a lot of wood with it. The good was it is a simple rig there's not a whole lot to go wrong. I repalced the pillow block bearings a few times. It was a great machine to start with. What i didn't like was trying to align the band wheels there's no fine adjustment to it. You have to loosen the pillow blocks and kinda guess. Iam surprised they dont have an adjustment bolt of some kind. I put a electric winch on it for up and down.  I sold it for just about what i paid and its still sawing and running today, With the original engine 14 years later. when log trucks started showing up freighted with logs wanted them sawn thats when i new it was time to move on from the all manual mill. My point being i used and abused that mill and shes still around. 

Thank You Sponsors!