iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1.25" vs. 1.5" bands.

Started by Dave Shepard, October 12, 2021, 09:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

Quote from: Lasershark on October 21, 2021, 12:51:45 AM
Quote from: Stephen1 on October 19, 2021, 10:19:42 PM
Lasershark, switch to the 7/39T silver tip and you will be even happier.
Is that the case even though I really only cut Douglas fir and cedar? Not too many hardwoods in my area... unless you count alder, which is a pretty pliant hardwood.
I saw White pine 75% of the time. the 10's did not like the knots. The 7/39 .5" blow threw everything 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

barbender

I ran Silvertip Turbo 7's 1.5"x.045" all through last winter, they sawed red and white pine, and white spruce very well frozen. In fact they sawed better in the frozen wood. Once I hit summer I found myself going to the same blade in .055" for when I was sawing red pine dimension lumber that needed to be wave free. If I push the .045 with the 40hp diesel in the summer, I get waves. The .055 says, "more!"😊 I try to run the .045 as mach as I can, I figure they are cheaper and easier on everything. My 97 has an old style of bearings on the idle band wheel that are going out with some regularity, I attribute part of that to the heavy blades with the tension cranked up. In fact I have the updated bandwheel sitting on the shelf that I need to install before I can saw again🤷‍♂️
Too many irons in the fire

Lasershark

Is the tooth spacing 1"? I'm ordering the equipment needed to sharpen those blades and the manufacturer needs to know.
2020 LT-50 Wide, 38 HP Gas, with debarker, lubemiser and operator's seat,  2002 Dodge Ram, Echo chainsaw, Ogam multi-rip Gang saw, Cook Manufacturing Sharpener/Setter Combo.  RS-2 resaw attachment.

Magicman

The tooth spacing on my blades is 7/8".  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

boonesyard

Just ordered my first box of 1-1/2"x.045 silvertip, turbo 7s based on what seems to be a very positive rating here. Looking forward to trying them.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

TimW

Do Y'all think my 35hp Yanmar diesel would have enough grunt to run the 1.5" .045 Silver Tipped Turbo 7s?  I like what I am hearing here about them.
                            hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

barbender

I think it would, my 40 hp Lombardini pulls them with plenty of power to spare. I really don't notice much of a difference in power between 1.25 and 1.5" bands, probably if you only had 20 hp you would. 

TimW

Quote from: barbender on October 21, 2021, 11:52:36 PM
I think it would, my 40 hp Lombardini pulls them with plenty of power to spare. I really don't notice much of a difference in power between 1.25 and 1.5" bands, probably if you only had 20 hp you would.
Thanks BB.  I like your signature line.  I have too many irons in the fire, too many irons waiting to go into the fire, and lots of irons that are not made yet.
                         hugs,   Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Bruno of NH

Quote from: Bindian on October 21, 2021, 11:45:55 PM
Do Y'all think my 35hp Yanmar diesel would have enough grunt to run the 1.5" .045 Silver Tipped Turbo 7s?  I like what I am hearing here about them.
                           hugs,  Brandi
I run them with 38hp Kohler gas with no issues. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

I could not tell any difference hp-wise with the 1.50 blade vs the 1.25.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Stephen1

Quote from: Lasershark on October 21, 2021, 12:58:34 PM
Is the tooth spacing 1"? I'm ordering the equipment needed to sharpen those blades and the manufacturer needs to know.
No, 7/8". I run the CBN grinder. I would not sharpen with anything else. The drag sharpener is old old technology. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Magicman

As it stands right now I intend to transition from 1.25 to 1.50 blades but retain the 7°Turbo (7/39) profile.  No I am not throwing out ~50 blades nor just stop using them.  Heck, I still have probably 6 new-in-the-box 1.25 blades so I may never completely transition to 1.50.  This transition will have to be through attrition such as I did when I dropped the 10° profile and opted for the 7/39 profile.  Now the problem seems to be that I had blades rejected from the last 4 boxes that went to ReSharp but due to the blade shortage, they were not replaced.  The box came back less the rejects.  I completely understand but it squelches my plans.

I ordered some parts today from Indy and afterwards tried to talk to ReSharp/South but I was told that the phones were not being directly answered.  Leave a message and I would get a return call, that all employees were busy resharpening. 

I am going to put new replacement instruction in my next box to ReSharp. I am also hoping that they have some 1.50 blades available, whether DoubleHard or Silvertip won't matter.  I'll see how this strategy goes but still order blades if necessary if I see that my blade inventory is diminishing too much.

TimW

Y'all that are running 1.5  .045 Silvertips, do Y'all send out for resharp or do Y'all sharpen your own blades?

Doug at WM told me they (ReSharp) only get about 2 sharpenings on them.  He was saying guys that sharpen their own do lighter sharpenings, more often.  So, how many ReSharps should I get from ReSharp on the 1.5 Sivertips?

I was talking to him about changing my order for Turbo 7s from 1.25 to 1.5.  It's clear as mud.
 hugs,  Brandi

barbender

Was he speaking of .055" blades? I don't see any difference in flex life between 1.25" and 1.5" in the same thickness. 

TimW

We were talking about .045s.
       hugs,  Brandi

Stephen1

Quote from: Bindian on October 22, 2021, 10:17:00 PM
Y'all that are running 1.5  .045 Silvertips, do Y'all send out for resharp or do Y'all sharpen your own blades?

Doug at WM told me they (ReSharp) only get about 2 sharpenings on them.  He was saying guys that sharpen their own do lighter sharpenings, more often.  So, how many ReSharps should I get from ReSharp on the 1.5 Sivertips?

I was talking to him about changing my order for Turbo 7s from 1.25 to 1.5.  It's clear as mud.
hugs,  Brandi
I am running the .o45 1.5" T739, I am averaging about 5 sharpennngs per blade. I sharpen myself and so maybe I do a light sharpenining. I am not sure what is considered light. I only like my blade to go around once so I make sure I have a nice shiney gullet as it passes the CBN stone. I like to get the double sound bzzzzzz....bzz, if that makes any sense

barbender

I've not had that problem, Brandi, with any of the .045x1.5 I have ran. I didn't notice any difference in sharpenings between them and .045x1.25 blades. .055" blades are another matter altogether, I usually only get 2 or 3 sharpenings on those beasts. I really don't like using them, short flex life on the 19" wheels, they are a pain to handle as they are heavy and stiff. But when you want to turn up the feed and saw dead straight, they are the ticket.

TimW

Quote from: Stephen1 on October 23, 2021, 08:05:38 AM
Y'all that are running 1.5  .045 Silvertips, do Y'all send out for resharp or do Y'all sharpen your own blades?

Doug at WM told me they (ReSharp) only get about 2 sharpenings on them.  He was saying guys that sharpen their own do lighter sharpenings, more often.  So, how many ReSharps should I get from ReSharp on the 1.5 Sivertips?

I was talking to him about changing my order for Turbo 7s from 1.25 to 1.5.  It's clear as mud.
hugs,  Brandi
I am running the .o45 1.5" T739, I am averaging about 5 sharpennngs per blade. I sharpen myself and so maybe I do a light sharpenining. I am not sure what is considered light. I only like my blade to go around once so I make sure I have a nice shiney gullet as it passes the CBN stone. I like to get the double sound bzzzzzz....bzz, if that makes any sense
Stephen1,
He was talking about the Silvertips.  Are you talking about Silvertips?  Are there more than 1 Stephen?
hugs,  Brandi

TimW

Quote from: barbender on October 23, 2021, 10:08:06 AM
I've not had that problem, Brandi, with any of the .045x1.5 I have ran. I didn't notice any difference in sharpenings between them and .045x1.25 blades. .055" blades are another matter altogether, I usually only get 2 or 3 sharpenings on those beasts. I really don't like using them, short flex life on the 19" wheels, they are a pain to handle as they are heavy and stiff. But when you want to turn up the feed and saw dead straight, they are the ticket.
Thanks BB.  Are these blades you are usings Silvertips?   I heeded not to get .055" blades from all MM talked about having the 19" wheels, which I have also.

Stephen1

Quote from: Bindian on October 23, 2021, 01:06:44 PM
Quote from: Stephen1 on October 23, 2021, 08:05:38 AM

hugs,  Brandi
Stephen1,
He was talking about the Silvertips.  Are you talking about Silvertips?  Are there more than 1 Stephen?
hugs,  Brandi
Brandi, I was talking silver tips 

barbender

Yes, I'm speaking of Silvertips- although my experience has been the same with Doublehards. The .055" I have now are the first ones I have gotten in Silvertips. Prior to that, I've used Doublehards and other brands, all with the same result in the .055. Ive tried .050" blades too, but they don't last much longer than the .055". I don't write off the .055" altogether, there is a time and a place for them in my operation.

TimW

Thanks Guys!  I will call WM Monday and change my existing order of 1.25" to 1.50 Silvertips.
hugs,  Brandi

Magicman

I very often discourage folks from "chasing blades".  I sawed all day today and had time to think plus use the other 1.50 blade.  I spoke yesterday about the 1.50 tracking only 1/8th of an inch ahead of the blade guide flanges which is not satisfactory.  If I start a transition from 1.25 to 1.5 I will be constantly adjusting my blade guides which also is not satisfactory.  1.50 blades need 1.50 blade guides and I ain't going there either.  Sooo, I have decided to listen to my own advice and I ain't chasing blades.  I am using 1.25 X 7° Turbos and will continue to do so.

Southside

MM, FWIW I ran 6 boxes of 1.25" bands on my 70 with the 1.5" roller before I knew better. I don't even adjust them between those two widths. For the 1.75" I had to upsize and adjust. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Lasershark

MM, FWIW, I bought extra guide roller bolts when I picked up my 1.5" roller guides and switching between the two sizes of rollers guides is a 30 second operation. I use the 1.25" blades for western red cedar scavenged off the beach; since I'm phasing them out, it doesn't matter as much if I hit a rock.
2020 LT-50 Wide, 38 HP Gas, with debarker, lubemiser and operator's seat,  2002 Dodge Ram, Echo chainsaw, Ogam multi-rip Gang saw, Cook Manufacturing Sharpener/Setter Combo.  RS-2 resaw attachment.

Thank You Sponsors!