The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Hudson Oscar 330 Pro  (Read 2385 times)

Online fluidpowerpro

• Hi there!
    • Share Post
Re: Hudson Oscar 330 Pro
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2022, 08:39:05 PM »
I think what you have shown will be plenty strong.
I am not qualified to comment on if cottonwood is suitable for the beams but I'm sure others here can. I would use your utility poles like you planned and splice. You could also locate the splices centered on a post, so that would eliminate any chance of a weak spot.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2022, 09:23:40 PM »
place a post in the center and 1 post in 36" in from each end. Then set the support beams on the posts butting together in the center over the top of the post. Done deal.

I am not sure how big your carriage is but I am sure it is more than 24" of track you will lose because of the size. so worst case scenario you have 12" cantilever over the final support post. You will never notice any deflection from that small amount of cantilever.

I am all for over engineering but for a temporary setup I think you should step back and try to KISS method :)

Offline etd66ss

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2022, 07:06:03 AM »
place a post in the center and 1 post in 36" in from each end. Then set the support beams on the posts butting together in the center over the top of the post. Done deal.

I am not sure how big your carriage is but I am sure it is more than 24" of track you will lose because of the size. so worst case scenario you have 12" cantilever over the final support post. You will never notice any deflection from that small amount of cantilever.

I am all for over engineering but for a temporary setup I think you should step back and try to KISS method :)
This is a design for my permanent bed. I just have to figure out where I want to place it so it doesn't interfere with my future site layout plans.

One thing I forgot is, I want to add an extension for the mill head to be driven into a shed to keep it out of the weather. For this I think I can just lag some angle into the wooden beams. When it's driving on that portion of the track it won't be doing any milling.

Offline DaleK

• Ooooooh, I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok......
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2022, 01:09:36 PM »
Make up a full extension and bolt it to the existing one, there isnít a lot of weight on the carriage and the wheels will jump as they travel across the joint between sections if it isnít lined up perfect. Just unbolt one section and flip it over then use it as a jig and clamp your new lengths of angle to it and weld them, takes less than an hour
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

Offline etd66ss

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2022, 01:47:14 PM »
Make up a full extension and bolt it to the existing one, there isnít a lot of weight on the carriage and the wheels will jump as they travel across the joint between sections if it isnít lined up perfect. Just unbolt one section and flip it over then use it as a jig and clamp your new lengths of angle to it and weld them, takes less than an hour
So any 3X3X1/4 angle I buy will have the same exact profile as the the angle on the track? Did you buy A36 angle or something specific?

I notice the angle on these tracks have a full bull nose profile to them on the ends of the legs. Not sure if Hudson massages them or not. I know that Woodland Mills for example, machines the top legs of their angle frame flat etc.

Online fluidpowerpro

• Hi there!
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2022, 02:25:21 PM »

This is a design for my permanent bed. I just have to figure out where I want to place it so it doesn't interfere with my future site layout plans.

One thing I forgot is, I want to add an extension for the mill head to be driven into a shed to keep it out of the weather. For this I think I can just lag some angle into the wooden beams. When it's driving on that portion of the track it won't be doing any milling.
The shed is an excellent idea. After a few years of owning it I did the same with my small Hudson Oscar 18 and I wish I would have done it right away.
It makes it so much more convenient to fire up the saw to cut just one log. Just open a door and roll the saw out....
Hudson angle is the same as any any structural angle you would buy so nothing special is required.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Offline DaleK

• Ooooooh, I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok......
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2022, 02:40:00 PM »
Yeah just normal angle, you may need to us a big pipe or adjustable wrench to tweak it a bit at the joints, we had a spot that was a bit wide at the top so we just put a couple 2Ē ratchet straps around it over night and that pulled it in enough
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

Offline etd66ss

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2022, 08:27:55 AM »
I finally started leveling off an area to build a bed for my Hudson 330

Had to get these junkers out of the way first, as they were occupying that space:

I needed my D6C to move them, but a mouse over the winter decided to snack on all the under dash wiring:

My plan is to set ~8" dia x 5ft utility pole sections into 12" augered holes about 4 ft deep, then set with tamping dry sacrete around the perimeter of each pole. Let them settle for a month or so before laser leveling and topping them off about 3" above grade:

However, before I can get to that, my Ford 575D would not cooperate as it was running hot, on not a very hot day. The fan belt kept rolling upside down in the pulleys. The worn fan belt pulley has been an issue for years, but now I am finally forced to take care of it. I can't seem to find the correct pulley online either. Probably have to make a run to the New Holland dealership $$$$$:

And I'm sure I don't have to tell anyone that gas and diesel prices are a killer.  Up where I am, diesel is near $6 a gallon, and the non-ethanol gas I use for my mowers etc is near the same...

Offline etd66ss

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2022, 09:13:21 AM »
I stand corrected, just paid $6.29/gallon for diesel. The lockdowns and Monopoly money really screwed us.

Offline Durf700

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2022, 10:27:02 AM »
good score on the mill!   I live about 45 minutes south of Barneveld NY.  I actually went there and looked at mills a few months before covid hit.  they were very polite to deal with.  I ended up coming across a used LT 15 with extra track and power feed and snagged it up.  my nephew did purchase the farm boss from them and took delivery last july.  so far he is happy with it.  I did convince him to add a woodmizer manual log turner to it and he is very happy he did.  we added a 3500 # winch and battery to power the log turner and it works great! 

that would be a must for me if I was in your shoes.  you can also make one like myself and a few others on here have done.  if your milling alone its alot easier to turn the log and clamp it if the winch is there to hold the log into position. 

enjoy your mill! 

Offline etd66ss

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2022, 11:56:35 AM »
good score on the mill!   I live about 45 minutes south of Barneveld NY.  I actually went there and looked at mills a few months before covid hit.  they were very polite to deal with.  I ended up coming across a used LT 15 with extra track and power feed and snagged it up.  my nephew did purchase the farm boss from them and took delivery last july.  so far he is happy with it.  I did convince him to add a woodmizer manual log turner to it and he is very happy he did.  we added a 3500 # winch and battery to power the log turner and it works great!  

that would be a must for me if I was in your shoes.  you can also make one like myself and a few others on here have done.  if your milling alone its alot easier to turn the log and clamp it if the winch is there to hold the log into position.  

enjoy your mill!
I will be milling alone, so yeah, a log turner is probably going to be one of the first mods for sure.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Hudson Oscar 18

Started by homesteading on Sawmills and Milling

8 Replies
Last post July 28, 2018, 09:44:45 AM
by homesteading
xx
Hudson Oscar 52 buying new

Started by Plowerwagon on Sawmills and Milling

9 Replies
Last post July 18, 2019, 01:26:27 AM
by redbeard