iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New sawmill and sawyer in MN

Started by samm, May 22, 2022, 10:14:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samm

Howdy folks. After many years watching on here and participating lightly, I am proud be officially be a new sawyer. My brother and I are ready to see what we can do with the new sawmill, and looking forward to producing some nice hardwood as well as softwood structural lumber, eventually.

Yesterday was the first time we started the engine on the new mill.  It's a Turbosawmill, but not the traditional single beam design.  I was able to buy from Jake the first ground frame Turbosawmill. It's manually operated, 10" cut capacity with a Honda IGX800 25HP. I will be able to take photos & videos in the near future, I will get my gopro setup for that.  Today I will be working on milling some simple log bunks.

Anyway, wanted to say hello and that I will try to participate more on this sawmilling section of FF.
Cheers
Keep your stick on the Ice!

thecfarm

Sawing, it's a way of life. 
Don't forget the Logrite peavey or cant dog. Sponsor on the left. nice people, made in the USA!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

samm

Nice thing about my mill is that I don't need to turn the log!

But I do have a peavy for general tree work and log recovery.

WV Sawmiller

Samm,

Congrats on the new mill. I have not seen your operation yet but I question the fact you do not think you need a LogRite cant or peavy hook. If fact, from the one time I watched and had a big log too big for my band mill slabbed on a Lucas slabber and I observed the sawyer carefully turned the log small amounts till he reached the point he wanted and shimmed it well then started sawing there. I know on almost every log on my mill I use the claw and clamp to rotate the log to position the center check to the desired starting cut to minimize the damage from that natural checking. In fact, if I used a turbo or lucas I'd be buying a 78" mega hook in expectations I'd be moving bigger logs. 

Good luck and we look forward to pictures.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

barbender

Yeah, you'll still need a cant hook or peavey. What area of MN are you in?
Too many irons in the fire

samm

Ok, thanks for the advice I will keep my logrite peavy close by.
I'm in SE MN

Crossroads

Congratulations on the mill, have fun. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Walnut Beast

Congratulations! Sounds like a nice setup. Looking forward to seeing some pictures. What's the deal on the ground frame? Are they offering that along with the single beam ? 

Dakota

Congratulations on the new sawmill.  I'm looking forward to your videos.  I'm a Lucas guy but I've always been intrigued by the TurboSawmill design.
Dave Rinker

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Samm and congratulations on the new mill!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Lostinmn

Congrats on your new mill, love to see a video of it in action.

boonesyard

LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

SawyerTed

Welcome!  Enjoy the new mill.  As I am sure you have found out, it is the hardest you will work to have fun you will ever do!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Thank You Sponsors!