iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do you see sawmills being towed on the road?

Started by thecfarm, January 24, 2013, 10:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

SwampDonkey, That is why I have a manual mill. ;) I did plan on doing some building this year, but things came up and never even started it this year.
I may have 2 tractors, but only one mill. A Man has to spend his money where he needs too.   ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

esteadle

Got out on the road yesterday. Some nice walnut was sawed in the drizzle. 

SawyerTed

I only recall seeing two mills on the road in the last couple of years.  One is the older (than me) fellow that has had a mill in a nearby town for 20 years.  He's gotten older and has some health issues so he's not on the road so much anymore.  He's sending some portable jobs my way. 

The other is a young (20 something) fellow in the other direction who has an LT 35.  He's trying to go 100% stationary with his operation.  I've not seen him on the road in many months.

I did see one "down east" in Carteret County three weeks ago.  It passed me going the other way.  I'm thinking it was a Timber King. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Walnut Beast

When was the last time you looked in your review mirror when you where pulling yours Ted 😂😂

SawyerTed

Ok Every time it's back there... last Wednesday.  😆 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

thecfarm

Well not really towed, in fact it was still shrink wrapped up. Looked like a LT 10 or 15, the way it was packaged.  :)  It was on a trailer.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ventryjr

Most people don't report PBM's (portable band mill sightings). They just chalk it up to swamp gas, weather event, or gov experiment. 
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

maple flats

For 6-7 years after I first got my Peterson ATS, later converted to a WPF, I did mobile sawing, during summers mainly (I drove school bus after selling my previous business and supplemented my income during summer break). Many times when I'd stop for gas or to eat, people would ask me what it was. I think the only times I ever saw other mills being towed was going to or from The NY Woodsman's Field days. Near Boonville, NY there were tons of sawmills being towed, just before the event started or soon after it ended. I got to see lots of them because from 1989 thru 1999 I had a booth there selling OWB's, log winches, chippers and a small PTO powered processor.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

moosehunter

Got stuck in traffic yesterday in Ithaca NY behind this old circle mill. Looks like someone has some work ahead of them!
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

metalspinner

I'll see a couple a month cruising through town. And I'm not really out driving around too much.
Log trucks are an everyday thing here. We are in the mountains and lots of building is going on. So lots of land clearing.
I live on a state hwy and about 10 miles east is a big stationary mill. They cut lots of barrel wood. Last time I was there buying mulch she said that barrel wood is mostly exported.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

delvis

I was just at Ross and Maureens yesterday cfarm picking up a new drive belt.  I don't see a lot of Mills being towed around but I know they're out there.  We pulled ours off the road three years ago and decided we can stay busy enough without traveling.  Now, if I were sawing for a living, I think I'd have to travel again.
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

trapper

Saw  mine in the mirror  today as I went 3 miles down the road to saw 5 logs today
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

thecfarm

delvis, could of stopped in. I am on the other side of town. I was working at the store yesterday.  :( 
Could of shown you the stone wall that I am hauling off up into the bog.  ;D

BenTN

Quote from: metalspinner on July 20, 2021, 01:00:00 PM
I'll see a couple a month cruising through town. And I'm not really out driving around too much.
Log trucks are an everyday thing here. We are in the mountains and lots of building is going on. So lots of land clearing.
I live on a state hwy and about 10 miles east is a big stationary mill. They cut lots of barrel wood. Last time I was there buying mulch she said that barrel wood is mostly exported.
One of those was probably us. Funny thing is, we use three different trucks to tow the mill depending on availability and support equipment. Maryville probably thinks we are flooded with mobile mills. I don't see many others in the last couple years. The others I knew have since retired. 

metalspinner

BenTN
What kind of mill do you have? We should probably talk. The fella that I used for band milling has retired. 
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

BenTN

Quote from: metalspinner on July 23, 2021, 06:27:20 PM
BenTN
What kind of mill do you have? We should probably talk. The fella that I used for band milling has retired.
We have a LT35hd and an unused CSM(60"). PM sent with contact. 

thecfarm

Another one sighted today.
I only saw the sawing part as it was on another road heading away from me. Did not really look brand new, this was only about 15 minutes from the Chesterville WM dealer.
I could not even tell what make it was.

Tom King

Saw the only one I've ever seen around here last week.  Some brand new Woodmizer on River Road.

OlJarhead

Saw what looked like an older LT40 heading north of of Sandpoint ID.  I was heading south.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Ventryjr

I travel back roads and thruways all over the north east.  About 150k miles a year. And I haven't seen a sawmill in transit yet.  I've seen a pile band mill setup in yards or landings. 

moodnacreek

Quote from: Ventryjr on May 21, 2022, 08:15:20 PM
I travel back roads and thruways all over the north east.  About 150k miles a year. And I haven't seen a sawmill in transit yet.  I've seen a pile band mill setup in yards or landings.
If you ever have to come down to orange [you won't like it] try to contact me and see my mill.

rusticretreater

I see ads and signs for mobile sawmilling all the time in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.  I have only one time seen a mobile sawmill on the road.  It was a woodmizer.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Ventryjr

I just spotted a Belsaw on a steel framing taken apart into 3 sections being hauled in Western NY.  Must be staying up that way. Guy was headed north toward the lake and away from the scrap yards.  

If your a forum member contact me.  I'd be willing to lend a hand if needed. Good luck ! 

doc henderson

saw a WM near Florescent, Co.  Not being towed.  mostly pine and poss. spruce in the yard.  We were at Camp and the trip to town was between activities so had no time to stop.  no one seen running around the yard.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

I have only seen a few, but I saw what looked like a LT35 going down the road today being pulled by a Jeep Cherokee.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!