iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What sawmills are for

Started by Darrel, December 19, 2016, 10:54:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrel

My 13 year old grandson and I needed to get away from it all so we took advantage of the break in the weather and brought the mill home and had a little fun too.

https://youtu.be/XzpiBZvsea4
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

reedco

Not many trees

Jeff

It seems like a lifetime ago since I went sledding.  That sure looked like fun!  When I was a kid, we lived on a major tobogganing hill. Actually, it wasn't a hill, but the edge of a river valley. I was just a kid, but I can remember all of the bonfires and gatherings from the church youth groups and such that would have sledding parties in our back yard.   It was one of those hills that most snowmobiles built in the 70's could not make to the top.  They had to carry me up it once when the jump we made at the bottom from two bales of hay and the hood off a 71 Plymouth station wagon launched me much farther than we thought possible. When I came down, it busted up the toboggan from my impact on it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ox

Reminds me of almost losing my fool head on a barbed wire fence as a kid.  Just leaned back in time to flick the end of my nose as I went under it.  I seen it coming but just kinda froze, ya know?  Couldn't move, but layed back just in time!

Am I the only one who looks back on their youth and marvels at all the times I shoulda died?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

WH_Conley

Bill

Jeff

Quote from: Ox on December 19, 2016, 12:09:07 PM
Reminds me of almost losing my fool head on a barbed wire fence as a kid.  Just leaned back in time to flick the end of my nose as I went under it.  I seen it coming but just kinda froze, ya know?  Couldn't move, but layed back just in time!

Am I the only one who looks back on their youth and marvels at all the times I shoulda died?

:D

I left that part out. About 20 feet out from the bottom of the hill there was a one strand electric fence that was off in the winter.   We used to prop it up out of the way with some props made of 2 by 4's so we easily walk under it.   Never thought about that when the neighbors and I built the ramp. I was high enough coming off the ramp to clear the wire before I crashed.

Picture below is where I grew up. I drew a diagram to show the elevation changes. Ariel photo that is very hard to see. The hills were steep. The drop to the road and then down to the river was pretty tough to climb using all 4's if it was even slightly wet.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

sledding,can't beat it. I still do it. Last winter I looked out my window and there's my neighbor sliding. I grabbed my sled and put on my winter gear and we had a ball. Walking back up the hill talking about the old days and the new days.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Den Socling

When I was around 12 years old, my dad bought us three boys a long, long toboggan. Across the road from our house was a long sloping field at the foot a a steep hill. It seemed like it would take a half hour to drag that toboggan to the top of the hill but it was a long, long ride back down. Sometimes we would come close to our front yard. Anyway, one time my dad thought that he with my mother, a friend of his and that guy's wife decided to go to the top. You know what the ride is like for the last guy on the back? That was my dad's friend, Joe. Poor Joe lost 3 days of work that week. The landing hurt his back that hard.

Darrel

When my kids were in grade school, we had flexible flyers, one for each of the kids and one for mom and I to share. We use to drive up to the tops of the mountains on these steep roads that were dirt during the summer but were packed snow in winter. Then we'd ride the sleds down the hill and mom and I would take turns one of us on the sled whilst the other drove. On one occasion we brought several of the kids friends along so there weren't enough sleds to go around so we doubled up on the sleds. On one trip down the hill I was riding on my belly on the sled and my daughter was on my back and her friend was on hers. We we were moving right along whilst stacked 3 deep.  But we weren't moving fast enough for the driver of a pickup.  He honked his horn and yelled out the window so I pulled out of the packed lane into the soft snow and let him go by. Well around the next turn , there he was with front bumper against the bank and the back end of his pickup hanging out over the nothing.  His back tires had not dropped over the edge but he had absolutely no wiggle room. I couldn't keep from laughing, made the guy mad. Long story short, the three of us climbed through the bed of his truck and went on our way.
1992 LT40HD

Den Socling

You climbed through the bed of his truck? Yikes!  :)

Ljohnsaw

Where I'm building my cabin, we made friends with the neighbors.  They have a few years on me and sled every chance they get.  Then, again, we enjoy it too!

When I was a kid, we moved to NY when I was 11.  That first year (1971) there was record snow fall and us So. Californian's hadn't a clue how to shovel snow (with our dirt shovels) :D

Well, we made an awesome sledding hill starting in our neighbor's, neighbor's back yard - completed with two high banked curves.  As it got more and more ice, it got faster and faster.  We had shoveled out our drive and had probably 3 feet of snow piled up at the driveway into a make shift jump.  My best friend thought he could make it over...  As his sled approached the jump after coasting along the flat, he had slowed quite a bit and it was like watching a slow motion replay...  He landed hard about 1/4 of the way across and split his lip.  We were all cracking up!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Darrel

Quote from: Den Socling on December 19, 2016, 11:33:56 PM
You climbed through the bed of his truck? Yikes!  :)

That truck wasn't going anywhere. The most dangerous part was getting passed the guy. I would have stayed and tried to help but he was so angry and I believe he was also a bit drunk.  Some people came by later with another truck and helped him get out. They said that they would have left him stuck if they hadn't need to get down the hill.
1992 LT40HD

Thank You Sponsors!