iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question about tires- JD 2032R woods tire

Started by FTD, February 13, 2020, 07:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FTD

I have a JD 2032R.  Currently has 14-17.5 R3 turf tire.  Perfect for 90% of the work I do.  Maybe more.  I have installed 2.5" spacers. My Fransgard winch is being installed now at the dealer.  Why not let them take responsibility for the length of the PTO shaft?

Anyway, my R3 tires are not optimal for woods.  Some might things a little stronger. 

Found a set of Solideal 10.5/80-18 IMP R4 10 ply on rims that will fit the rear of my tractor for $350.  Tread is a solid 80%. Takeoffs from the front of a 5 series JD tractor. Yes, they are 4" narrower than what I am running now.  Narrow isn't bad in the woods. They are 35" tall.  I think they will fit.  Need to verify.

I understand they are square sided construction tires and really stiff.  Beyond that, I don't know how well they will perform in my rocky clay soil.  Less than optimum, but still a good value based on $350, I can live with that.

Looking for input on how these tires on my tractor will perform in my soil conditions in the woods?

Thanks.

BargeMonkey

Do your brakes unlock for each wheel ? 😂 I'm not a fan of R4 tires if its greasy, slip and slide. If you can buy them cheap ? Enough a set of chains makes a world of diff. Under most conditions they will work but they aren't the same as a deep lug ag tire in the mud / slippery stuff. 

thecfarm

I hate R4. I had one tractor with ag tires. That thing would go. This tractor has R4. Only thing I have found they are good at is when I fill an area in they will pack it down smooth. The ag would dig it up. But I have 4 wheel drive so they work. Take it out of 4wd drive, with a bucket full of dirt and see how well it works.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

g_man

If your tractor is 4WD and you haven't done this already make sure the rolling diameter of the new tires are the same as or very close to that of the originals. If the ratio of tire diameters between the front and rear tires is not right you will destroy your 4WD.

gg

gasman1075

I had a gear 790 with ag tires for years loved it in the woods and fields and on the gravel driveway but couldn't bring it on the grass at all to load the wood shed.  Now I have a 2032R with the R4 and without chains on the rear and loaded tires and ballast ( box blade with sand bucket ) it wouldn't go anywhere. We have a lot of clay here as well. With the R4 I can at least bring the wood trailer to the shed without digging up the grass. They also worked fine brush hogging and moving wood around to feed the splitter.  
JD 2302R/Stihl MS461/Stihl MS261/ Timberwolf TW-P1/ new left hip /

millwright

I have a set of R4's on my tractor backhoe. Good for dirt or hard surfaces, but totally worthless on wet ground or in snow. I run chains all winter and that works good. 

FTD

Well, the recurring theme is that R4s suck in the mud.  So do my R3s.  At least with the R4s I'm looking at, I'm going from a 4 ply To a 10 ply which will be substantially more durable.  That was my basic goal. 
I did pick up the tip about the tire diameter/circumference which I knew but forgot about.  I have the seller checking the bolt pattern and the circumference/diameter for me. Internet research has shown the R3 are 105" and the R4 are 107".  Checking with Deere on that. Thanks for all the input!

Thank You Sponsors!