iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Walnut

Started by boatman, December 26, 2012, 11:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boatman

A friend of mine has been given some 16'x10"x10" Black Walnut.  Clear, with checks.  They have been outside stacked and covered for years.

Other than the normal board foot value, what might these be worth?

The guy he got them from has enough to build a log home out of, then he changed his mind.

Chuck White

Whew!!!!!!!!!

Don't know how much it would be worth, "lots" I suppose!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

boatman

Maybe.

I am just wondering if has a higher potential value as a 10x10 or as lumber.  I am not familiar with specialty markets.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Start researching markets in various parts of the country. Take pics and send emails to different outlets who sale Walnut.
Sounds like there's some money here.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dave Shepard

The checks are going to reduce the amount of recoverable boards, but won't lessen the strength of the timber, unless there is severe grain runout.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

shelbycharger400

look them over real well, and see if your able to save something, taking the best one first from the log, 2x 3x or 4x ,  or 1x stock, even if its shorts, you can recover something even from the worst logs.     Call a few local timber frame builders and see what they are worth and if he is interested to buy.  Photos are always good

boatman

The wood is sitting on an Island and will cost @ $5000 just to move it to the dock.  Then no less than that to get it across the water.  Then two semi loads of expense to move it.........

He may be better off using the wood in his construction business on the Island. 

he just told me it was in a Tobacco barn for 5 years then moved there and has been sitting outside, stacked and covered 9 more years. 

The stacks that are 1 1/8" cleaned up nicely in the planer.  I think I posted pictures of the stuff last year when this "deal" started.  But there are covered stacks so not much to see.

beenthere

Boatman
Is this the other thread you started?
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,51872.msg747963.html#msg747963

Maybe can tie these together if admins will help, so the reader gets the bigger picture.

Are you looking for an investor?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Stephen1

That is a lot of money for something with no real end use. I would save some money by chaining the bundles and then floating them across to the mainland. As in the last thread it might just be usless.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!