iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re: sawmill for dad

Started by Paschale, August 23, 2004, 10:45:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paschale

This thread contains members remarks to the question asked by Miraclebow777 about findinig her Dad a sawmill.  I'm locking the thread to direct all of the thoughts, remarks and help to the thread entitled "Search for Dad's Sawmill".  Thanks to all.
TOM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a link to that item:  

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3834629776

I don't know anything about this type of saw, but I gotta wonder how you'd really transport that thing back to your home.  Would your dad perhaps be more interested in a portable sawmill?

I think it's great you're doing this for your dad!   8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

beenthere

Don't want to hurt your feelings here and I like your enthusiasm. But how interested is "Dad" in getting a sawmill?  I'd recommend taking Dad to a few mills that are operating, and finding out what his feelings are (may have done that already) before getting something that you think he would like.  I have a few things sitting around that my kids bought (nothing as big as a sawmill however), but they are not the things that trip my trigger, so I don't use them. Dad may enjoy having someone else saw his logs into lumber, and not have to worry about stacking green lumber to dry, removing sawdust and slabs, etc., etc. that are big items when sawing logs.

PS
Pls put "sawmill for Dad" things under one thread, so we can keep track of the reply's and your interests. New threads on the same subject are hard to keep straight (at least for this ol Dad).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

D._Frederick

If your dad has a lot of logs to saw and you would like to help him, this may be a cheap mill.  It comes with a diesel engine in the 100 - 150 hp range, but you may have a problem getting parts. If you are interested enough, I would want to see it first hand and see the workmanship that went into building it. Better yet, could it be run,  some of these local build mills may have design problems?

Gilman

Does your dad have a tractor with a bucket?  Or something that can handle logs?
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

miraclebow777

How do I thread all my postings and answers to keep them together . One person who answered my post about looking for a sawmill to buy for my dad told me I need to do that but I cant figure out how. Oh yeah, to answer the question from Gilman, Yes, dad has a few pieces of heavy equip.  A backhoe, front end loader,,, a dozer,,, dump truck and a couple of tractors..
 In answer to Beenthere,, I know what you mean,, My family is notorious for giving odd gifts. I got dad ,what I thought, was a real nifty horse shoe set in a beautiful wooden box from Sams Club for his last birthday. When he felt how heavy the box was he said "Is that a gun, its heavy enough"  Well I could tell he was really dissapointed when he saw what it was ,, He didn't want me to know that but I said, do you have any horse shoes.. He said yeah, lots of em on my horses feet. (Trying to be funny) I said I'll just take em back and get you something you need. I think I ended up getting some undershorts and socks or some equally boring gift. Anyway,
i know he would love a sawmill. He has talked of it alot. He just never will spend any real money on himself.. He has always spent it on bills and everyone elses needs.. No joke. That is why I want so badly to do this. I dont know how long I will have him.  I am in nursing school right now, it will be some time before I can afford to do anything for him. I think this is my chance while he is still in good enough shape to really get use of it.
thanks everyone,
victoria
Victoria

Tom

to stay on the same thread do what you just did.  click on the "reply" at the bottom of the posts.  Your reply will remain within that same thread.  If you start a new topic each time you post, you will have confused the members and also you will have information scattered all over the forum where you can't find it.  Pick one of the topics you have opened now and stay within it as long as you are using it to look for a sawmill for your Dad.

You don't want to open a new thread by clicking on "Start a new Topic" unless you want to start a new subject, like "Grits are good".  :D

You should also pay attention to the message at the top of page that says you have "9" messages, 9 are new"  That means that you have Instant (personal) messages from another member.  It's kind of like an inside-of-the-forum email system and it's really neat.  It lets you pass personal or private information without the world knowing.   :)    Just click on the word "message" and it will open up your inbox. :)  You can also reply privately to that member as well. (beneath the profile picture on the left are some icons.  one will prompt an IM message for that person without your having to install his userid yourself) 

There is even an audio announcment that you can install telling you that you have a message.  When you go to the IM message system look at the upper right hand corner for the word "preferences".  Click on that and it will open a page with an option for the audio announcement and a list for you to pick one of many funny announcements. :D   It makes the forum even more fun than it is. 8)

Bibbyman

You know,  many of the sponsers of this forum - listed on the left,  have NEW mills in or slightly more than your price range.  May be a good option considering you'd have factory training, warentee and support.

The Wood-Mizer LT15 is around $5,500.

Wood-Mizer LT15

The TimberKing 1220 is about the same or maybe less.

TimberKing 1220

The Baker Wood Buddy is even less than your bottom range.

Baker Wood Buddy

I don't know the prices or too much about the "swing blade" mills...  Maybe someone else can help out here.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Hammy

Hey triple 7,

Had a look at that mill, I haven't seen anything like it either. My concern for your Dad would be parts & after sales service for it. I assume he will be a hobby miller? If so, why not look at the great range of portable mills on the market? Some will suit your Dad better than others but generally with most companies the after sales service is really good & this makes all the difference in the long run!   ;)

C. Hammond
Petersons

Ianab

Hi 777

I think that big mill you pointed out would be a bit of a challange to set up and run, let alone learning to saw in the first place.
Bibbymans suggestion to look at the small bandmills is a good one, new equipment, warranty, training etc. Just take it home and start sawing.
Also worth looking at the Lucas or Peterson swingblade portable mills. I think you would be into second hand market there but they are simple and reliable. The log handling on the swingblade would be easier for an elderly gent to manage. Place the log on the bunks with front end loader and it doesn't get moved again untill it's all sawn.The mill is all manual, but it's not heavy work to run it. Get a teenager to haul the boards off and stack them  ;)
If you have a look at the Peterson web page you can see how they work
http://www.petersonsawmills.com/

Good luck

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Tom

that mill is a circle mill and will require a lot of dismantling, setup and a number of people to run it.   It may interest your dad because of its familiarity to that age bracket. It would be a lot of work.  He may get quicker satisfaction from one of the bandmills or swing mills that our sponsers manufacture.

A circle mill can sure produce a lot of lumber quickly but that is of no avail unless you have the man-power handy to do something with it.  

If you are interested in a circle mill perhaps you should be snooping around your Dad's mind and find out if he is interested in a lot of engineering and manufacturing at his age, or if he would be happy to just make boards. :)  Sawmills run the gamut from those that will process 10,000 board feet a day (a whopping bunch) or 2,000 feet a day (managable by 2 or 3 guys) or 1,000 feet per day (managable by one man if he's healthy),  You need to get in one ball park or the other. :D

Hammy

QuoteI don't know the prices or too much about the "swing blade" mills...  Maybe someone else can help out here.

We could get your Dad into a new Peterson swing blade mill for around $8000. This includes delivery & everything he needs to start sawing lumber!! - safety kit, blade sharpner, tool kit, extra blade etc.

All the best!
C. Hammond
Petersons

sawmillsi

G'day miraclebow777,

The sawmill setup in ebay (above) looks like a conventional (home-made) breaking down setup. I didn't notice any re-sawing benches.

If your dad isn't into heavy lifting and lots of handling, I would suggest going to one of the field days that hammond or any of the other guys talked about and looking at the huge range of portable and semi-portable sawmills on the market.

At least you and he would get an idea on whats out there.

Good luck

Simon

Buzz-sawyer

Hey there good daughter

I recomend that circle mill!!!!  :o :o 8) 8)
\
I have on just about like it, and if this one is put together right, will be a fantastic sawmill that will outsaw any bandsaw mill speed wise ......and require much less set up than swing blade types also ....
the advantages are real....the engine is older , but the price seems right.... really need to see it and run it ....BUT a diesel engine of that size alone can be several thousand and the blade is about 2000 new.......

(how you other guys like that ......a circle mill owner that stands firm for the breed :))

from the sound of your description of your dad he wouldnt know how to operate a sawmill he didnt have to work on!!!
Best wishes ;)

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

music_boy

T 7
     I purchased a sawmill from Hudson Forest products
http://www.hud-son.com/portable_sawmills.htm
They  have different sizes ect. They are a no frills mill and most all manual. I've been pleased with mine except I got too small a model for what I am wanting to do.(didn't know anybetter at the time and was afraid to put alot in a hobby)  I put mine on a used boat trailer, rigged up a boat winch to pull the logs up onto the saw bed., couple of stabilizer jacks for the trailer. I got about 3300 in mine. Now, it will only do an 18" diameter log that is 9 feet long log. But Hudson makes bigger ones and you can add tracks for longer logs.. I'm not trying to sell you on Hudson, but your dad sounds like he just might be able\into\friend who could,,,do something like I did. For some of us, that is alot of the fun too. There are other small sawmills out there, and this is just another idea\option  for you. Hudson is a big company.
      Wish my wife had your sense of generosity and goodwill ;D :D :D :D :D :D Maybe I'd had a sawmill sooner. ::)
     Good luck, way cool what your doing, bet you keep your dad longer  cause of what your doing. There's something special about making lumber outa logs
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

woodhaven

I completely agree with Buzz-sawyer,
Being your Dad is a little hard core like a few of us here he may find it more to his liking to have a real saw. A lot of these other mills are toys in my opinion. I feel like your Dad would want something he could really use and work with. Especially sense he already has a lot of support equipment.

You have got to be the worlds greatest daughter.
Richard

Bibbyman

Now miraclebow777,  you're not setting your dad up to saw YOU out a house or barn or something? ;D

That's how gifts work in MY family... ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tom

This thread contains members remarks to the question asked by Miraclebow777 about findinig her Dad a sawmill.  I'm locking the thread to direct all of the thoughts, remarks and help to the thread entitled "Search for Dad's Sawmill".  Thanks to all.
TOM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank You Sponsors!