iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's the best way to saw Black Walnut?

Started by Gilman, August 19, 2004, 11:05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilman

What's the best way to saw black walnut?  How about if you are going for curl or other figure.  Only one I know for sure is to flat saw through crotches.

Thanks in advance FF
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Bibbyman

If you are sawing for grade – that is commercial 4/4,  5/4, etc. -  then you saw it like any other grade lumber.  Saw off'n the best face until and turn when it drops below the grade of another face. (You always try to saw on the best quality face)  When we get down to 2 and 3 common and 6" wide,  then we just thru and thru the rest of the cant and get on to the next one.

I've never quarter sawn walnut.  Don't know why you'd want to other than maybe for gun stocks.  As for crotches,  and novelty stuff,  we don't saw them either.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Gilman

Norm

We saw ours for the most part for our own use so I try for figure if it's at all possible. To get the best crotchwood figure lay the Y down on the bed and cut through and through. If the Y is big enough I'll trim it off so I don't get so much of the main log cut into q-sawn and rift-sawn grain. For curly figure if the logs have any cut it flatsawn, the curly figure is most times near the surface of the log so slice real thin under the bark.

Gilman

If the logger has it staged high enough on the log deck I'll be able to get to the walnut this weekend.  I'll let you know how it went.  Got the batteries all charged up and ready.

Bibbyman

As we "saw for grade" we would have put the ugly knot on a corner so most of it would be edged off.
Sawing since '94

Norm

Boy after Patty hears what you called her she'll probably put a "knot" on your head. ;D

Bibbyman

OOps! I didn't even see her on the other end!  

Nice smile!  Say "C H E E S E!"
Sawing since '94

WoodChucker

OOps! I didn't even see her on the other end!  

Nice smile!  Say "C H E E S E!"

Good save!  ;D

R.T.
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

Gilman

Good luck digging yourself out of that hole bibby.

Patty

QuoteAs we "saw for grade" we would have put the ugly knot on a corner so most of it would be edged off.

Well I've been called alot of things....but ugly old knot is a new one. Thanks alot Bibby.  :-X

This walnut was a real beauty. I think Jeff owns a piece of it now, and maybe even CK. I love walnut, especially with the sap wood left on. We make it a point to take our time and enjoy each slice as it comes off the mill. It is just too pretty of a wood to slab up for dimensional pieces, in my opinion.  :o
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Bibbyman

Patty,

I hope you get to talk to Mary about walnut.  Her hands are black from sawing about 100,000 bf of it last year and 30,000 bf or so already this year.  Her feet above the ankles are also black from the walnut sawdust getting through her socks! ::)

She sent out a trailer truck load yesterday and last evening the driver call about 8:15 - he was overloaded.  Had to come back and take off a couple of bundles.  Dark and thunders storm coming in..  It rained cats and dowgs.  Only the light from the sawshed, Terex and Durango to see by. Got him fixed (also had to re-distribute some bundles) and turned around and out again.  Mary got soaked. :-[
Sawing since '94

Buzz-sawyer

Patty
It breaks my heart when I see the 2 or 3 WALNUT (which is the best stuff with curl and pattern!!) goin to the pallet mills for blocking!!!
I love it and see all the beatiful things I could turn it into , so it could be appreciated properly 8) ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Bibbyman

None of the 2 and 3 we saw goes to blocking - at least it don't from our mill.  I have seen pallets with walnut in them.  

I've even used rough walnut top logs for corner posts.

I was at a friend's house a few years back.  We were at the "old home site" where there was a log barn.  He said the barn may have been the first "house".  Anyway,  I spotted one log that I thought was walnut and cut into it with my pocket knife.  It was.
Sawing since '94

Patty

Actually Bibby I would love to meet Mary and help her out at the mill one day. I imagine if she would saw and I would off load we could get alot of wood cut and have fun at the same time. You might have to cook supper though.  ;D  :o
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Gilman

Haven't got to the good stuff yet.  I just got one small limb that took the brunt of the fall and had severe cracking.  Still fun to saw until that little wandering snag at the end of your cut looks like it's going to try going through your guides.

Here's a little peak of the first black walnut I've gotten to saw.

Kirk_Allen

OK, nice looking walnut but you forgot to put the whole picture in of that loader in the background.  Tell me more aobut it!

Kirk

Gilman

Opps, cought me there.  :o I forgot to put my crosslink in.

Here's some more photos of the loader.  https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=sawmill;action=display;num=1092016614

As far as I know here name is Cookie.  She hates to move.  Really old and tired, swing capacity is low and squirmish so bring it in from the uphill side and gently set it down.

I had fun running it the first time but didn't get much done quick.  I was glad to finally position the next two green maple logs. The second time I fired her up I almost put the log where I wanted it! 8)  The next time (mabye one more just to get a little more experience)  I think I'll just set that log right on the mill.  8)

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!