iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

apple tree management

Started by JimFX, December 31, 2013, 09:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimFX

First, I hope i am on the correct board on this site ...

I am thinking about planting some apple trees and I am wanting to have a full understanding of what I am getting into before I do. I know proper pruning, pollinators and disease management are all factors.
There seems to be lots of web sites that talk about some aspects or are trying to sell something so the possibility of the information being biased is there. My question is ... is there a good site or book that consolidates all this information in a reliable manner?
Thanks!

mesquite buckeye

Some apple trees meaning home use, or an orchard for production? Apples are labor, capital and pesticide intensive. Best to go in with both eyes open. :P :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Leigh Family Farm

Once you figure out if its for personal use or a full orchard, you will need to decide if you want to go the pesticide or organic route. Check with your local ag extension office for better information suited to your area.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

JimFX

Oh, this would be personal like a half a dozen trees, a commercial orchard would be way to much for a beginner ... well me anyway. Organic would be nice ... the ag office is a great idea.
: )

mesquite buckeye

Codling moth, apple scab, cedar apple rust, fireblight come to mind right away.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Corley5

Our wild apple trees on the farm used to produce really nice apples.  Now they're scabby and misshaped.  The commercial orchards at one time wanted wild trees eradicated.  They claimed they were reservoirs for pathogens.  It seems to me the pathogens came from the commercial ops  :-\
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

Corley5,kinda the same here. My Father called them natural fruit  trees. No orchards close by,nearest one is 10 miles.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Red Good

I am in the same boat Jim, just wanted a few trees but some variety.Put in a fuji a granny smith a honeycrisp, a couple of cherry and a couple of pears . Already had a plum and a couple of peaches and about 90 feet of grapes. Now I look at the space I have and really think I want more !
Grandpa's orchard was suggested here and after some reading there I bought my trees there . They have tons of info and thier trees seem to be at least what they claim and usually bigger .Lots of info on pollination also and how to make that work , i just thought bees did it . So lots more reading till spring , good luck with yours .
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

wesdor

I see that you are in Northern Illinois.  That covers a lot of area, but Kelly Tree Farm in Clarence Iowa sells some really good trees.  Not sure what they have as far as apple tree varieties, but if you are not too far from the Mississippi you might want to check them out.  I've bought hardwood saplings from them in the past and have found them to be good people.  NOTE:  I am not in any way connected to them (nor do I know anyone living in Bolingbrook, IL   ::)

I just checked their website - fruit trees are rather expensive - $48 for 5-8 feet tall and they have a wide selection of varieties.  They are still a good source, but that is a bit more than I'd be willing to pay.

SPIKER

It takes some work, a hour or two per tree per year usually is about what I put into mine.   I have half dozen or so YOUNGER trees started planting in 2004 or so with Pear and Apple.   I added to them over the last few years & have I think 4 or 5 Pear, 2 or 3 peach, and maybe 8 or 9 apples all different varieties, then maybe 500 plums planted that went nuts so too many of them lol...

I ended up this year with some form or peach Blithe & lost all my peaches.   I have NEVER treated my stuff as I am going organic rout (unofficially.)   The blithe is going to have to have something if it starts back this year.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

thurlow

Had a small (17a peaches, 7-8a apples and pears) commercial orchard way back when;  google "bare root fruit trees";  should cost around 10 bucks each (personally, I wouldn't plant anything else).  As has already been suggested, I'd check with the local extension service (ask for a commercial spray schedule, in addition to a home-owner's schedule).
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

chain

If you have cedar, and who doesn't, your apple trees could develop cedar apple rust. I would check with your local Extension Service and talk with orchard folks in your area.

Nick_William

Another thing to watch out for is rabbits. Found that one out from experience. Had two 5 year old McIntosh apple trees and during the 4th or 5th winter the rabbits came and ate all the bark as far up as they could get it. A crap apple tree I had bought with them didn't survive it but so far the two good apple trees have. Been putting on piping ever since for the winters

thurlow

If you've not already bought, I highly recommend Mollie's Red/Molly's Red/Mollie's Delicious variety.  They are not a Red Delicious type and are by far the best apples we grew.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Thank You Sponsors!