iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Corley #5

Started by Corley5, November 08, 2015, 09:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigred1951

Anything new? How's the shed coming along?

Corley5

The main part of the shed is done.  We ran out of weather to get the part done over the engine and I spent some of the $$$ earmarked for that on my new old forwarder  ;) ;D  As soon as the weather breaks in the spring we'll get the rest of the building done and the mill disassembled and moved.  It might be a while before it gets reassembled  :)  I do have some pics to upload :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

jeep534

Greg any more updates it has been almost a year  :)

Happy Hunting
archie

Corley5

SwampDonkey

Greg I missed the whole thread back when you started. Looks like a great plan to bring the old mill home. Great pictures. Hope it all comes together. Never knew you got Br. Noble's mill, that must have been quite a haul. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Corley5

Everything's home still on trailers parked in the new shed that's a year old now.  Someday I might get it all back together :-\
  It took three trips to get the Noble mill back to Northern Michigan.  Each was an adventure ;D

jeep534

Greg,
     It has been a difficult year for me. I have not had work since the first of  February  2016. Hopefully next year will be better. not sure if you are checking your email on this forum I sent you an email or two

Happy Hunting
archie

BUGGUTZ

I'd be glad to come lend a hand if ya ever need one!
Everyone has to be somewhere.

Corley5

8)  I'll keep that in mind  :)
Hang in there Archie.

bandmiller2

Setting up an old circular mill is a daunting project the foundation alone is an undertaking. The secret, if there is such a thing, is every day/week  do one little project, clean fix and prime one piece. Before long its ready for assembly. If you look at the whole project in its entirety you will get overwhelmed and won't even start. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Corley5

I'm not daunted or overwhelmed by it by any means.  I know just what needs doing.  It's a project that's just not anywhere near the top of the list.

bandmiller2

Brother Corley that was in your posting but generic and not aimed at you mate, for most folks its true. Sometimes life gets in the way of milling. Enjoy your holidays. Frank C.

Corley5

The worst part was having to take it apart.  Being a fully operational mill that I was very familiar before I disassembled it and took notes reassembly won't be bad when that time comes.  Plans are in place but for now there are other enterprises that are more than hobbies that need attention.

bandmiller2

Corley, look at the bright side you can make little improvements. Its a rare mill that can't be made handier and more sawyer friendly. Frank C.

Corley5

I want  to add the dust blower from the Noble mill and I've got a Renco chain type log turner that will come in handy.  The carriage from Grandpa's mill is 16' and the Noble's is 20'.  At the least I'm going to add a fourth headblock on the 16' so I can dog at 16'.  As is there are three headblocks with the longest at 12'.  I may step up to the 20' carriage :-\.  The setworks on the Noble mill seem tighter too.  It's nice to have two mills of the same make, hand, and model  8)  I'm going to set the sawyer's platform up a little different.  As it was sawing 100" you could run the headblocks from that level.  Sawing twelve or longer required a step up and a step over one side of the log deck.  That got old fast.  I want it all on one level with flip up pieces for the deck to walk through with out stepping over. 

nativewolf

Quote from: jeep534 on December 12, 2016, 12:12:34 AM
Greg,
     It has been a difficult year for me. I have not had work since the first of  February  2016. Hopefully next year will be better. not sure if you are checking your email on this forum I sent you an email or two

Happy Hunting
archie

Archie lots and lots of work in Northern VA.  Time to pack up some bags and head on over.  My terminex guy came up from southern AL, said all he could find down there was $8/hr- no real education to speak of, no experience.  He's paid $15/hr and lives over in Front Royal, renting a room in a house for $300 a month so he's coming out a bit better than AL and he's got the smithsonian to visit for free just an hour away, great national forest right in the back, fishing and hunting all around.  I mean, it is not much but it's work and gives time to get one's feet on the ground and figure out how to make real $.  That's for completely un skilled person.  I think anyone on this forum could do much better.
Liking Walnut

Corley5

The building mostly gone and the carriage and the last of the track waiting to be loaded.  We backed a hay wagon up the track and rolled the carriage on.  It's still sitting on the wagon in the new shed. 
  Reading other threads on circle mills here has got me thinking about it again.  I also ran some 100" black cherry into firewood yesterday that I normally would have saved to saw myself but I don't have a functioning sawmill at the moment.  Maybe next summer.  I've got to get this maple syrup operation running first.  That's what the cherry firewood is for  ;) ;D

Thank You Sponsors!