iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ticks and a 440a

Started by stoneeaglefarm, January 25, 2014, 05:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stoneeaglefarm

Folks, First off. Thanks for info on c4 and c5s, Never seen a garrett or heard of one till I did some research. I have had many conversations with many loggers over the last week from. NH, Mass, PA and Ny dealing with this Lyme disease, Please all do not ignore this ever growing problems, Anti-Biotics are cheap and if you catch it in the beginning its a good deal you will be up and running, I was stubborn and in old school denial that I could get sick from the woods, Wrong awnser, Getting bettter every day, But still missing work. Do not be a tough guy, Get a blood test if ya are feeling down. I have a 440c and have a chance to pick up a nice 440@ for small lots, What are all your opinions on them, Having a hard time finding a decent c4 or 208 , I am here in NH if anyone has any info. Stay safe its cold out there and we are not moving as fast as we should.

clww

I hope you have a full and speedy recovery. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

mills

I agree with you on the lyme disease. It kicked my butt for about six weeks this past summer. In the past few years I've had four family members diagnosed with it, so I was watching for it and caught mine early. Still took two rounds of anti-biotics to kick it. 

thecfarm

Maybe this cold weather will set them back some. Yea,Right. Ticks are really just starting to get bad here. Even just a ½ hour from here makes a diffeance on how many there is. Last year I had 4 on me. That's more than I ever had in all the years I've been here.
I forgot the first time I found a tick on me here. 2005??
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Stinny

I heard that temps down to 10 below multiple times during a winter will kill the ticks. And, we haven't had a lot of really cold winters in a while. Sure would be good if there was any truth to this theory and this year's cold knocked em down for a while.
Suzuki 4x4 on Tatou tracks tugging logs in winter

thenorthman

I'm liking my little Deere 440a, its a bit on the tippy side, but she always starts, has one Hel of a winch on her.  Parts arn't exactly cheap, but you can still get most of the major pieces, and regular maintenance stuff is at napa.

The Jacks have cheaper/easier to find parts, and the Franklin's have a good following as well.  The Mountain loggers I'm not sure ever left the PNW, but they where pretty good too.  Don't forget the clarks... a Hel they're all good machines  if you take care of them.
well that didn't work

timberlinetree

When I was a kid I never saw a tick now they are everywhere. Can we put them on the invacious list? Been bitten 8 times no Lyme. Wife and the young one, one bite and got it. Been a long time since I have seen a bug and love it! :) :)
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Stinny

Timberline... as I've gotten older, I've been less and less interested in doing a lot of anything in the woods during the hot months here in Maine. Have plenty of other things to do so I kind of plan things that way. When I do head down into the woods then, I just about take a shower in bug spray. Not sure which I like less. Bugs or all the "backwoods Maine deodorant".
Suzuki 4x4 on Tatou tracks tugging logs in winter

bill m

I'm not sure if it's just me or what but I have never had a tick on me when in the woods logging and our woods are loaded with them. Now when hunting, on my mt bike or doing trail work I find them all the time.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

stoneeaglefarm

Logging is the less of the 3 evils from were I get the ticks, But, Still pull plenty off, Duck and land bird season is the worst, and then deer season, We have a good size blueberrie farm and gardens and they are not half as bad as just hiking in the woods, Logging helps if ya spray your shirts and pants with good buck spray, Tried all the natural stuff, does not do a thing, Bens, cutters are excellent, Just check, There everywhere, Did a 2 day bow hunt in conn. First ground stand and in less than 15 minutes I got up, It was amazing how many. Long story short, There every where and if ya catch it early its gonna be OK after a short time, Let it go and doing what ya do in the woods is over. Thanks to all. Still looking for a nice secound small machine here in NH.

SliverPicker

I worked in North Dakota in the summer of 2011.  In the 6 weeks I was there I had AT LEAST 500 ticks on me.  One time I counted 67 ticks on my lower pants legs at one time.  These where all wood ticks not deer ticks.  Apparently there was one deer tick that I never saw because ND is where I got the Lyme bug.
Yooper by trade.

Thank You Sponsors!