iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best Stihl to restore?

Started by kmorgan, November 03, 2013, 11:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

Just bought a Stihl 025 in mint condition and 034 that has no bar/chain, but starts on first pull and screams like banshee...how are these 2 on rebuilds and parts?

Z50guru

If considering an 028, just remember the many variations with this model along the way. I learned the hard way by repeatedly ordering NON interchanging parts. DOH!!
An 036 is a sexy wood slayer. Heres mine  8)

JohnG28

Quote from: Z50guru on November 14, 2013, 08:18:18 PM
If considering an 028, just remember the many variations with this model along the way. I learned the hard way by repeatedly ordering NON interchanging parts. DOH!!

Where's the chain? ???
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

HolmenTree

I have a 044 10mm that I bought new in 1989, still runs good but is basically a shelf queen now.
I almost got my 090AV fully restored ,I spent a pile of dough on new OEM covers etc. even found a brand new 090AV top cover nametag from Australia, only trouble is the Aussie tags are not chromed like we get over here in North America.
Also the new rewind housing cover I bought from Stihl Canada has a name tag with "Made in Germany" on it, my 090's original tag had "Made in West Germany". The last item I need is a 60" Stihl bar for it which my Stihl dealer says are still in inventory at the head warehouse.....but $350 plus tax is a price I really have to debate on. I will post pics when done.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Z50guru

Quote from: JohnG28 on November 14, 2013, 10:12:47 PM
Quote from: Z50guru on November 14, 2013, 08:18:18 PM

Where's the chain? ???

What chain?  The wood just falls apart at the sheer sight of this 036 ;)  Haha, no but this nice example stays in the living room for display along side a couple others. I remove the chains so the kids or pets dont get hurt :)

Buddyw

I picked up (2) old Stihl model 041's , and a old Homelite XL12 earlier this year, saved them from being tossed on the dump. The Stihls,one has a bar and the other has a bow. I got them to fire back last summer but, it was just too hot to mess with them.
The weather cooled enough two weeks ago so , I went and gave those old saws a good tune up , fresh filters and gas .
I been enjoying cutting with those old stihl saws.
I have the old Homelite running good too. I will save that one to play with this week end maybe.
Having picked up a few more saws it will let my others take a break.

sablatnic

The best Stihl to restore is whatever you can get your hands on. And not necessarily a Stihl!  ;)

Saw Dr.

Quote from: motard on November 04, 2013, 10:38:14 AM
Quote from: Cedar Savage on November 04, 2013, 12:07:45 AM
044 is a great saw, easy to work on, & you can pick them up on ebay sometimes, fairly cheap, lots of parts are available there too. 046 is pretty much the same saw, just a few more cc's.

Well, you did ask "best Stihl to restore?"

Why my pick would be the 10 cube 090.

Ya mean like this?  Taken at the museum at the Stihl factory in VA Beach.  Dual carb big bore 090 kart engine.  Supposedly this was one of only a few made for A.Stihl's grandson to race.  Can't have the kids running Mac's after all.....

I don't try to explain to others why I play with chainsaws.  For those who already know, no explanation is needed.  For those who do not, no explanation is POSSIBLE!

Super 250

motard

Where's that like button.

Darn little rich kids eh?

motard

Yes Sir,

if Mr. Stihl had wanted the kid to win, he would have got him a Bender!

HolmenTree

Quote from: Saw Dr. on November 17, 2013, 07:59:10 AM
Quote from: motard on November 04, 2013, 10:38:14 AM
Quote from: Cedar Savage on November 04, 2013, 12:07:45 AM
044 is a great saw, easy to work on, & you can pick them up on ebay sometimes, fairly cheap, lots of parts are available there too. 046 is pretty much the same saw, just a few more cc's.

Well, you did ask "best Stihl to restore?"

Why my pick would be the 10 cube 090.

Ya mean like this?  Taken at the museum at the Stihl factory in VA Beach.  Dual carb big bore 090 kart engine.  Supposedly this was one of only a few made for A.Stihl's grandson to race.  Can't have the kids running Mac's after all.....

Good pics Saw Dr, here is a couple of photos I took in the summer of 1984 . First is Sam Madsen's 10 cube 090, he is the owner of Madsen's in Centralia, Washington. Last is Sam, Tammy and myself in the stripe shirt.... oh to be 26 years old again :D

[img width=550 height=412]

Al_Smith

I don't know if those 10 cubic inch Stihls did any good or not as kart engines .

There were a lot of them that tried real hard to shove McCulloch out of top dog in the karts but I don't know any that were  successfull .

Where in the world did they all go? I've been looking for a 101B for years but haven't found one that doesn't cost a kings ransome .

HolmenTree

Here's one more pic with Madsen's technician Mike, and also the pic I posted earlier with myself in it.
I have to clarify the woman in the photo is not  Sam's girlfriend or wife, she was a timber faller's girlfriend who was also at the barbeque we were at here. When Mike took the pic with my camera Sam joked and said "Willard put your arm around Tammy", I replied "My wife would kill me".   
So Tammy moved over close to Sam :D........ I just thought I'd better explain the situation when posting photos over the net ;D

jhellwig

I was 1 year old in 1984. :)

Quote from: Al_Smith on November 13, 2013, 04:19:07 PM
Quote from: Maine372 on November 05, 2013, 08:34:00 PM
038mag. 53mm bore. chainbrake for saftey. balanced like a modern saw. it will still keep up with modern saws of similar displacement.
52 mm bore to be exact . ;)AV was 48,super 50, mag 52 .

As far as the 048's kind of tough to find parts for as well as are the 42's .They are in fact designed exactly like the 38 series .I have two 048s' and 1 and a half 042's meaning the bones of one are basically parts .

I just think the 048 and 042 are a neat looking saw.  They are that 038 and 028 style but different.
Murphy's Law is a pain in my butt.

HolmenTree

Quote from: jhellwig on November 18, 2013, 09:35:05 AM
I was 1 year old in 1984.

Yes and Tammy could have been your mom. :D

Al_Smith

In 1984 I was 10 years older than Willard before he got a shorter hair cut .Fact my hair was all one color back then as well as my chin whiskers .Before too long it will be again but a few shades lighter so to speak .Time flies when you're having fun they say . ;)

HolmenTree

Quote from: Al_Smith on November 18, 2013, 03:38:48 AM
Where in the world did they all go? I've been looking for a 101B for years but haven't found one that doesn't cost a kings ransome .
Al I know of three 101 hotsaws here in northern Manitoba and Saskatchewan, 2 of them are my brothers. Bottom end failures at 16.000 rpm and I'd imagine their topends aren't too pretty either. These were the original Walkersized Macs built by old man Bob Walker, not his kid. Bob put out quick units in his day in the 1980s.
Here's a pic of my brother Dennis with his back in the day. His tune pipe has a 4 inch or so inverted stinger.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Al_Smith on November 18, 2013, 08:37:30 PM
In 1984 I was 10 years older than Willard before he got a shorter hair cut .Fact my hair was all one color back then as well as my chin whiskers .Before too long it will be again but a few shades lighter so to speak .Time flies when you're having fun they say . ;)
You had me beat Al, when I was 36 I was already "silver side burns" with a little less insulation on top too.....I just blame it on the hard hats :D
Yes time flies alright..... but the good times were all good ;)

Al_Smith

Actually I don't have much gray on the head although the forehead seems to be getting longer .

The Mac hotsaw is just a challange and not pratical all .Just something I always wanted to do .

If I were serous about this stuff it would be a stroked 3120 with an 084 rod .Then again I'm also smart enough to know I'm a tad long in the tooth to run with these youngens in the real races .Fun ,costs lottsa money .

motard

An 044 will get 'bout anything you need done,

Thank You Sponsors!