iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to mount this cabinet?

Started by Brad_bb, September 29, 2012, 01:41:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I recently purchased this vintage mail/paper sorting cabinet for my office.  I have removed the door and plan to mount it on the wall at eye level.

The problem is how to mount it to the wall?  Here is where i plan to mount it.  The vertical tape represents the studs in the wall(actual 2" rough doug fir).  They are on 16 inch centers.  The horizontal tape represents the width of the cabinet (21.5 inches).  As you can see, the cabinet would only cover one stud.  The cabinet weighs 70lbs.  I considered a french cleat, but that would make it stick out from the wall a bit.  Any good ideas?

Should I just mount it to the one stud?  What type of hardware?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Since it only covers 1 stud, have you considered building a nice decorative shelf that covers 2 studs and then set your antique on the shelf?

Building a shelf and staining it to match your piece IMO would look really great.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

SwampDonkey

A shelf would probably be best, as with any bracket you would be drilling into the cabinetry to mount it.

Something like a slip past bed rail fastener would have to be screwed to the side.  The wall bracket would be screwed length wise with the stud. Most other ideas I see would straddle the stud with screw holes on other side of it.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

I think I would put a angle shelf bracket upside down (and screwed to the stud) to catch and support the weight at the bottom of the cabinet, and then put a screw at the top of the cabinet into the stud to hold the top.

This all dependent on the construction of the cabinet itself. And maybe if you can center the cabinet on the stud.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tree Feller

You might be able to use flush mount hangers top and bottom on the single stud, depending on the weight rating.

That's what I used to hang the Flag Case/Shadow Box I posted here, although they were placed on 5/8" Pine paneling. The flush mount look is what I was seeking.

There are lots of brands/types of flush mount hangers. Rockler, Woodcraft, Lee Valley and even Home Depot carries them.

BTW, that cabinet is a really neat piece of history. I love it.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

clww

I would find/build another cabinet-type base for it to sit on. I'd go for something wider, so you can center it up.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

terrifictimbersllc

If a hardwood french cleat is too thick could you use aluminum down to 1/4" thick, countersunk screw heads?  if you don't want to open up the drywall to put in some kind of horizontal backer, you could use two of those screws with expanding wings one on either end of the cleat, behind the drywall.  I would think if the limit is 70 pounds that wouldn't be too heavy esp. if the cabinet is pretty much centered on the one stud.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

redbeard

Use some sheet metal and bend a offset like a Z and make the stud mounted plate in shape of triangle with mounting holes verticle. Then make horizontal mounting plate fastened to back of cabinet, you will have a little bit of slide adjustment side to side. If there is too much of gap in back of cabinet to wall, you could tack a small piece of filler trim around back or side of cabinet.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

WH_Conley

I would second the table. Not much wider but deeper front to back. That would give a sorting/reading area.
Bill

hackberry jake

It would depend on the construction of the cabinet. Is it solid wood? If so what species? Plywood? If so how thick? I would probably just predrill and use two small lag bolts through the back of the cabinet into the stud. If the construction is stout enough. Good call on removing the cheesey door.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

samandothers

x2 on the french cleat.  Maybe two.

Don_Papenburg

How about some short dark feet that would let it rest on the radio and not be too conspicuous?
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Lud

Seventy pounds is kind of heavy for wall mounting.  How about a standing desk wide enough to straddle the radio.   Inch and a half long legs coming up to a chest high desk with a shelf or two deep enough support the file rack.  A slanted lid that folds out to a flat desk would not have to be that deep to be useful. 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Brad_bb

Lud, I haven't done anything yet.  Can you post a napkin sketch so I can be sure I understand what you are envisioning?
Thanks, Brad

Lud

I don't capiche " napkin sketch"  ( tho I have drawn a bit in bars!) :D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Lud on October 13, 2012, 03:59:43 PM
... tho I have drawn a bit in bars!...

Well, I was drawn into bars quite a bit early on during my time in the Navy, but that's a whole 'nother story.  :o

Herb

Brad_bb

Just a quick hand sketch, nothing fancy, no sketch up or 3D cad. 

Lud

...........and take a pic of the drawing and post that?  OK.   I can do that.  I thought you were naming some 'puteree stuff. ;D

Lud

Hey Brad,  here's your napkin sketch.  Sorry it took so long.

Hope you can see how the standing desk straddles the radio and supports the file box.   Flipping out the slanted lid would give you a writing surface...possibly covered with hard leather and could have some cubbies like a roll-top for pens, etc.

Good luck!

learner

Use 4" by 2" L-brackets. Cut into the wall enough for them to be screwed into the studs flush with the wall. One on top and one on bottom. Drill extra holes into the l-brackets for needed additional support screws.
Both brackets will support the weight of the cabinet, it will be flush with the wall and should support an additional 70lbs weight.
Use 4" by 4" brackets for additional strength. Judging by the height you will be hanging it at, the brackets should be hidden. Use 3" dry wall screws and you should be able to Dance on it with NO worries. From the looks of the top and bottom board thickness, a couple of 3/4" screws will hold it firmly to the wall.  Go half inch is the boards are thinner and you should get the same support.
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

Lud

So , ....Learner......   You have some good ideas.  Top. bottom, etc., get back to the stud.........all good.

The problem is the case of Brad's file box may well sag if hung,  as per your suggestion, without complete bottom support.  Antiques can fall apart if you look at them wrong.  What I was suggesting lets Brad incorporate his find into a usable piece of furniture that just happens to be able to span an old radio .

Your ideas, maybe with some bigger angles supporting a full shelf under the whole works could be a viable option .  Just L brackets, I'll pass.  More and more , I'm noticing how much TIME goes by and how it affects some previously thought GREAT Ideas.......usually to the negative.

Put stuff together so it looks good and will stand the TEST of TIME....... ;)

learner

Good point Lud. I wasn't thinking about sag just the main support. Maybe I mis-understood but judging by the vertical blue tape and the size of the cabinet, it can be mounted using both wall studs.
That should spread the load enough to prevent sag. But simply moving the radio a bit and supporting the cabinet with it is a better option.
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

Lud

It's all in Brad's lap now.  He started the thread;  asked for advice; got plenty of it;  Maybe he'll let us know what he chose to do................... ??? ???

Brad_bb

Finally getting back to my hobbies on November 7th... been really tied up lately, but I won't mention with what because if I even breath a word related, however non-specific, this thread will get deleted. 

Lud, I understand your idea now.  I had been confused by the slanted part, but I see now.  I would like to go this route.  I have some black walnut I could use, but it's going to have to wait until a few other projects get done.  Maybe I should just screw some pine 2x material together as a mock up to use and try out how I like it until I have to time to make a furniture quality one?  Yes a quick mock up would kill two birds, to make sure I'm happy with the arrangement, and get it in use right away.

thecfarm

Looking forward to it all.  ;D Good luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!