iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Canned Venison

Started by WV Sawmiller, October 22, 2018, 09:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

I cut up a couple of deer the last 2 days (See Outdoor thread Youth and Senior Deer Hunting Day in WV in The Outdoor Board) and the small trimmings went into making a couple cookers (16 pints) of canned deer. It keeps well and is handy to have ready to fix on short notice for:

BBQ - drain a pint and heat in a cast iron skillet with some chipped onions, add your favorite BBQ sauce to taste and heat through and serve on sesame seed hamburger buns or hogie rolls

Hash - peel and dice up 5-6 taters (add/use a big Sweet potato if you have one handy), dice up a big onion and brown with taters in a heavy cast iron dutch oven in a little vegetable oil, drain and add canned venison and stir till hot. Add salt, black pepper, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce to taste

With Gravy - open and drain a pint of canned deer, add to heavy cast iron skillet, heat through, add a can of cream of mushroom soup, salt and black pepper to taste and serve over rice.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

Those recipes all sound really tasty Howard.

I haven't got my deer yet, but ThanksGiving week is usually the best in this area!

All the trimmings I get from my deer usually go into canning or grind!

It's all good!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Texas Ranger

During WWII my parents lived in Colorado, dad shot all the game he could, jack's, deer, antelope and mom would can it.  They did well tell ammo got hard to get.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WV Sawmiller

Chuck,

Yeah, I try not to waste much of anything off a deer and spend way more time trimming the small pieces of meat off than it is really worth the effort. I mix with ground pork or grind up a fat Boston butt if making burger or mix with cheap fatty sausage if making sausage. We just make bulk sausage and don't try to stuff any though I would like to stuff and smoke some one of these days.

I used to go so far as to cut the ribs in half and put the whole rib cage in a great big pot and boil it tender and pick the meat off to make hash or sandwiches. You get it all that way but it is a lot of effort. We don't do much soup or stew but a lot of those bones would make good flavoring. 

Maybe next time I will saw the ribs off with all the side meat on and boil them tender then throw them on the BBQ grill. I've heard that works well too.

Tex,

I guess ammo would have been hard to get back then. I had not thought about that. I guess was along about that time they had a road gang of convicts cleaning the road around in front of their place. One of them spotted a rabbit run into a brier patch. He went up to the door and knocked and told grandma about it and said if she'd loan him a shotgun and a shell he'd shoot it and clean it for her. She did and he did. When grandpa got home and they were eating dinner she told him and he told her not to ever do something like that again. Dad said lots of folks were in prison back then who weren't bad folks just in jail for petty stuff. She got real lucky in any case. 

I am sure everything they canned was good eating. Canning meat is really simple - just pack the meat in the jars, put the lids on cook in the pressure cooker and it cooks in the jars and ready to use any time after that. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Texas Ranger

Saw miller, mom added spices and such to the rabbit, jacks are aromatic and tough, boiling helped.

WV Sawmiller

Tex,

I know you can add salt or spices to season during the cooking process although we don't so far. I'm betting your mom used a water bath canning system instead of a pressure cooker if the jack rabbits and such were tough at the end of the canning process. I'd think a pressure cooker would have tenderized them a lot more. I know they get hotter and are safer to use for canning meat but I'd bet they were not readily available back then. Do you know if your mom used a pressure cooker to can the meat she fixed?
Howard Green

Texas Ranger

Pressure cookers were  not in our family, she would par boil, I think with a little vinegar, can it and go on.  Yes, a lot of rabbit stew back then.

petefrom bearswamp

Thanks for the recipes 
I still have 2 pint cans from last season.
We make stroganoff with it, and sometimes I eat it straight from the can or make a sandwich.
I just did an audit of MY freezer (Linda has her own, the game is in mine.)
Linda thought we had used all the meat up but I found about 3/4 of a deer worth left, quite a few cuts of good meat, 7 or 8 packages of burger 2 pieces of corned neck and a bunch of sausage, both breakfast and Italian.
We dont eat much sausage, so I am thawing it and will make some pepperoni and  summer sausage from it for deer camp.
Deer season in the northern zone open in earnest now but I wont hunt there until Nov 10th this year, too many other obligations.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!