iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Boar hunting in South Carolina

Started by bendjoseph, October 17, 2011, 04:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bendjoseph

I want to take my son boar hunting.  We have been looking in Tennessee and South Carolina.  It will be a tent camping trip.  Does anyone have any suggest on were we could go?

whiskers

Don't know any hog hunters to ask. This may be a place to start. 
http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlifewma.html
many irons in the fire.........

WDH

The Groton Plantation in Allendale and Hampton counties in SC just off the Savannah river is a great place with many wild hogs.  My SIL worked there for 2 years as a game manager.  You should be able to get some info on Google.  They accomodate you in a cabin and feed you very well. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

florida

I don't know where you could go but don't kill a boar if you want to eat it! Boar meat is so rank that on the very rare occasions when we kill one we soak the meat in a cooler full of viniger and water for 3 or 4 days and then try to give it away if we can.

We try to catch the boars while they are small, cut them, mark an ear and tail and let them go to grow. At that point they become bar hogs and are the only ones we shoot. They grow fast and  make great eating meat.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Magicman

A friend was telling me this morning that hogs moved onto his place and the deer moved OUT.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

florida

I've seen hogs and deer eating under the same feeder many times. We don't have a very dense deer population here in south Florida but I've never seen any evidence that the hogs bother the deer or turkeys at all, or vice versa.
Retired now!

WDH

The hogs here are a scourge, taste tough and nasty, and are formidable competitors for deer and turkey.  I wish that I could delete them all with one click or keystroke  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

florida

WDH

Tough? I killed 5 with 6 shots  one time a few years back in Quitman. I thought they were better than our south Florida hogs.   Lots more fat. Our hogs are LEAN!
Retired now!

WildDog

Plentyof feral pigs down here, numbers are exploding on the back of 2 good seasons. Couple of weeks back a rate payer complained of wild dogs/dingos killing his lambs, the tracking dogs picked up Dingo signs but under spotlight that night there was a big feral boer taking the lambs. Traps were set up and 35 pigs taken to date. 

A splashy colored sow was shot outside the trap leaving some suckers behind. The next night the Bushnell video cam showed her little splashy piglet getting hammered by the black sows and other suckers in the trap. One sow picked up the little guy and shook it, they must of eaten him in the end, he just disappeared.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

treefarmer87

i hear they are a big problem in Tx,Ga, etc, because of the damage they do, i saw 1 last winter when i lived in SC- on the side of the road with a gunshot to the head.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Thank You Sponsors!