iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cleaning up before spring breakup

Started by Ken, February 27, 2013, 04:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

Although our nights have been staying quite cool the daytime temps are starting to soften up the roads.  We had cut some cedar last fall and had to leave it on a landing until another market opened up.  Thought I had better get it this week as our roads will be posted next week.  I have several loads of mostly 12' with a couple loads of 8' all plowed out.  There was about 3' of snow on the 1/2 mile road so it took a bit of work to get to it.   Our cedar does not get any better than this. 

Lots of toys for working in the bush

SwampDonkey

Where do you move your cedar Ken?

I sure wish cedar on crown land was used. Great big cedar left for the bugs on the landings.  >:(

Cedar is way under valued.

Get your sap pales out, I noticed it running on cut maple limbs. :)

Getting light enough now, that you can walk the forwarder or skidder in the woods at 6:30 am. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Nice size. Mine cedar is not all that good, I usually have to buck off the first 4-8 feet to get rid of the butt rot. About how many acres did all that come off from?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ken

SD  I sell my cedar to a local guy with a LT40 Wood Mizer.  Only 15 km from landing to mill yard on this job.  There is quite a bit of cedar harvested on the central NB crown land licenses.  Most of this gets delivered to a cedar/swd stud mill in Fredericton.  I too am enjoying the extra hours of daylight.  Should have spacing saws back to work within the next 8-10 weeks. 

thecfarm  We also run into cedar stands with lots of butt rot.  Kind of a shame to leave all that good shingle wood in the bush but we do not have a good market for rotten cedar.  I do try to keep some of the rotten butts for kindling.  Throw a couple of bundles in with a cord of firewood and it keeps customers happy.  This property is a beautiful 100 acre woodlot that we have worked on several times over the last 15 years.  The landowner just wants small areas harvested at any one time.

We are also working hard to get as much cut and moved as possible on the current job.  Another 3-4 weeks and off to the shop we go for some maintenance. 

A couple loads of random length poplar being loaded yesterday.

A load of 8' pulp from the other day.  It was the first load to a newly opened OSB mill.

Lots of toys for working in the bush

Thank You Sponsors!