iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

In the market for OWB

Started by W8AT, October 05, 2019, 11:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8AT

Hello to everyone. I am in the market for an OWB, the more I look the more I get confused. Lol. I live in north central WV and have been researching CB, Heatmor, Portage and Main, and Heatmaster. There is a local CB dealer but I have left numerous messages for them to call me back with no replies. The other brands there aren't any dealers close (3 hours). Of the brands I listed above what are your thoughts and recommendations?
Do not go where the path may lead, instead blaze a trail so others can follow.

chet

Not bashing any particular brand, but I personally refuse to do business with any dealer that can't take the time to respond to my inquiries. 

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

gspren

What type and quality of wood do you plan to burn? It makes a big difference in what OWB will make you happy. The new gassifier boilers use less wood but need a better quality, meaning drier, while the older style conventionals use more but are less picky about quality. I like my older P&M for what I burn but I think to buy a similar one now it would need to be a coal model that will still burn wood. 
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

thecfarm

I myself have the old style OWB, Heatmor. I have looked at the gassers,but never have been around one. I have had my since '07. I have only called him twice with a question,I have only got 4-5 blowers from him. I need to get some of that flat gaskets from him. Not bad in more than 10 years.  :(  Like I say dealer support is important,but there again,you should not need it too often either.
I have not priced them things lately. Last time I did I was shocked. I don't know if I could afford another one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

W8AT

I will be burning 95% hardwood, mostly ash, I have 10 acres that has a lot of dead standing ash trees from the bug. I quit counting at 100. I understand gassers need less than 20% moisture which shouldn't be a problem except for maybe this winter, I may have to scrounge around to find enough for this year.

Southside

That dead ash will be a lot drier than you would think.  Be DanG careful laying those down, they like to rain limbs and throw whole tops out.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

W8AT

Yes I know. I use an excavator and dig them out. It has a pretty long reach so not to awfully bad. Just shove gently.

Southside

Good - like you said - long reach, stay clear of the cab.  I won't touch a dead ash without my buncher.  Has FOPS / ROPS cab on it and now and then she has been struck - sitting inside a 48,000 lb machine that gets tossed like a Tonka toy sure will wake you up.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

woody_88

I've found that many CB dealers do it as a side business, and mixed with a busy time of the year now, it may take a day or two to get back. Also don't forget, maybe they are having some type of emergency etc. they're human too. Installation is key with any owb. The dealer not so much

hedgerow

W8AT 
I can't speak for the brand's your asking about. Your in my age group. I installed a Garn 10 years ago now. Last winter it cracked and started leaking. Long story short by the time I got it back up and running this summer { I run year around for domestic water} I had spent another $3500 on the system. That money would buy a lot of propane. I burn between 15-20 cord a year that's a lot of work and time spent. When I installed mine and I did all the work other than the spray foam I spent $30,000 it was a big investment. I have got a pasture cleaned up by running the Garn but if I was doing it all over again I wouldn't as I get older doing that much wood is a pain and then you got to feed it. Just make sure before you buy anything your ready for the long haul. Buying the stove is the easy part. I do heat my house and shop with it. 

W8AT

I can understand a day or two and have no problems with that. But several weeks and 5 or 6 messages left I'm moving on.

Pine Ridge

Quote from: W8AT on October 06, 2019, 10:41:22 AM
I can understand a day or two and have no problems with that. But several weeks and 5 or 6 messages left I'm moving on.
I agree with you completely, first impressions are often correct.

Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

woody_88

Oh I didn't realize it was that much time. Yep time to move on. It seems that at different price points you would want to consider certain brands. Like closer to 10k is heatmor and central boiler whereas 5k there are different brands. Hedgerow is right, look at the long haul. Really think about how it will fit in your current-future lifestyle. 

woody_88

Oh and 3500 doesn't buy more than a years worth of propane in my neck of the woods. My price this year is 2.25 a gallon, and if not using wood, I would be good for almost 1600 gallons. 

hedgerow

Quote from: woody_88 on October 06, 2019, 07:02:26 PM
Oh and 3500 doesn't buy more than a years worth of propane in my neck of the woods. My price this year is 2.25 a gallon, and if not using wood, I would be good for almost 1600 gallons.
I hadn't bought any propane in ten years until this year. My boil was down for three months this spring for repairs and my 500 gallon propane tank was getting a little low so I figured I better fill it. Price around here this spring was 80 cents a gallon cash price. Was very happy at that. I hope my boiler problems are behind me and I don't need any more propane for the next ten years. 

woody_88

80 cents a gallon is very affordable indeed, if not knowing the "warm" benefits of wood heating and be able to guarantee that price I would not even bother with wood. Yep I said it. My folks a few years back (probably more like 10 now) paid almost 4$ a gallon!! 

Having it as a backup heat source is the cats meow. 

OP- any luck on prospective boilers? I'm sure by now you have narrowed it down to a couple options. 

E Yoder

At some point a responsive dealer 3 hours away is better than a local one who couldn't care less if you called.
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

1countryboy

I googled and found a Heatmor dealer in W.Va.  ab856 Washingotn Pike. Wellsburg, WV 26070out a 100 miles from you.  856 Washingotn Pike. Wellsburg, WV 26070.  

I have a Heatmor 400, and also a 200 on our farms.   They were installed in 2002 and the only repairs have been blower motor (bought on internet) some door seals from the company (by mail) and an upgrade for firebox to burn more efficiently.   I heat huge farmhouse and my shop (heated portion of the 48 by 88 is 32 by 48 with 16 ft ceiling.  Winter temperature is at 75 degrees with in floor water heat.  I burn lots of wood and use the dead ash, tree tops from timber stand s that were harvested and cleaning fence rows.   The Heatmor works fine (no bottom to rust out and an auger cleanout and water cooled door.   I am about 3 hours north and west of u in N. Central Ohio.    Hollar if u have any questions.
Ohio Certified Tree Farm, Ohio Centennial Farms, Ashland County Soil Conservation Award., USDA/ASCS/FSA forest management(TSI) 1963 to present, retired educator, NOT retired farmer and a real farm shop to fix all my old equipment.

barbender

I have a Heatmor 200 that has around 10 seasons on it. It is a very simple and trouble free unit. I don't ever see myself having the patience for a gasifier type unit. I'm not the perfect woodpile type. I burn a lot of junk wood. I sell my nice firewood and burn the scraps. My maintenance has consisted of turning the breaker on and off according to the season. I'm not suggesting anyone else do things the way I do, only making the point that the Heatmor doesn't require much attention to keep functioning as it should.
Too many irons in the fire

thecfarm

Quote from: barbender on October 26, 2019, 08:15:40 PM
 I'm not suggesting anyone else do things the way I do, only making the point that the Heatmor doesn't require much attention to keep functioning as it should.
I run mine just about the same way.
 Cleaning ::)  ???  I have no idea what that is. I have had mine since 2007. Mine might have been down 2 weeks since I have owned it. One week we went on vacation,7-8 days. Than 2 days when I had to fix the clean out tube. So maybe really 10 days? I run mine for the hot water too. I burn alot of junk during the summer. Well I burn junk wood really all winter too. ;D 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woody_88

I may be wrong, but from my understanding the newer gasification burners will burn "junk" wood as long as its DRY junk wood. On the same hand, they like any DRY wood. 

So yes you need be disciplined to maintain a dry pile. Otherwise it'll clog up fast with creosote 

DDW_OR

Quote from: W8AT on October 05, 2019, 11:37:38 AM
......There is a local CB dealer but I have left numerous messages for them to call me back with no replies.......
call CB, not the dealer. then mention that the dealer is not answering your calls. maybe CB will recommend a different dealer.
"let the machines do the work"

W8AT

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I think I have decided to pull the trigger on a G200 Heatmaster. I like the gassers, keeping dry wood won't be a problem for me, I have down enough trees right now to last me for 7 or 8 years, and a bunch of Ash trees dead standing that will be easy picking after I burn up what I have down now.

E Yoder

Awesome, post some pictures when you get a chance.
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

woody_88

X2 on the pics. 

Heat master was next on my list if Central boiler didn't work out. Looks like a solid built unit and I had a hard time finding complaints online. 

Thank You Sponsors!