iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

outdoor wood boilers

Started by bouncer, October 08, 2014, 12:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bouncer

I am looking at possibly buying a Portage & Main BL2840. Does anyone own one? What are the pros and cons?
George

ckhenshaw4

I am not familiar with the Portage & Main BL2840, but we really like our Heatmor OWB.  It has saved us a TON of money over the last 12 years. And still going strong.  Good luck with your search.

Getting TOO old to "man handle" wood anymore. Looking at building a firewood processor.

bouncer

heatmor sounds like a good furnace. How many gallons of water does it hold and how much wood do you burn a season?
George

thecfarm

bouncer,welcome to the forum. I have a older Heatmor. I think only 150 gallons?? It was a little lower than others,but had it since 2004 and have replaced one blower fan and two hoses for the door.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

spyder68

I have a Portage and Main 2840 new this year. So far I love it. Ninety gallons with fire brick. Burns hot.

ckhenshaw4

Quote from: bouncer on October 08, 2014, 06:24:29 PM
heatmor sounds like a good furnace. How many gallons of water does it hold and how much wood do you burn a season?

I do believe it is about 150 gallons of water.  The amount of wood used all depends on how cold the winter is.  I have used anywhere from 8 all the way to 11 cords. (4x4x8 FULL cords)  If I have 13 cords cut split and stacked, I know that I am safe for the winter. 
Not getting any younger though.  Looking at building a homemade firewood proccessor.    :P
Getting TOO old to "man handle" wood anymore. Looking at building a firewood processor.

bouncer

Have been resurching OWB for the past 2 years . Im just afraid to install one and not be satisfied.  Have an old shenandoah wood stove in the basement that does a pretty good job along with my heat pump but would like to have OWB to save on handling and keep bugs and dirt outside also to heat my hot water. Wouldn't have split wood so small either.  Have plenty of wood to burn. The trees are dying faster than i can cut them up.
George

spyder68

Once you have a outdoor boiler you will never go back to hauling wood inside your house. 8)

beenthere

Quoteyou will never go back to hauling wood inside your house.

After 30 years of enjoying my wood boiler inside my house, it would take a lot to get me to go outside to put wood in a boiler and/or to monitor/fix/replace/tune/ or put my back up to it.   8)

For me, bringing wood inside is not a problem at all. Depends on the situation.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

An OWB is one of the best things I've ever bought for the house.  I'd have to be really hard pressed to ever put a stove inside any structure except a deer shack  ;D :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

beenthere

:D
I haven't shot one out of the "shack" ....  yet!   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Beenthere,I "enjoyed" the indoor wood boiler for almost as long as you have,25 years.
Buying a OWB,a Heatmor,I have enjoyed the outdoor one so much more. All OWB are not built the same either.   ;D

I think it's kinda hard for someone to say something about something that they have never had.  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Don't read me wrong here. ;)
I don't have any problem with anyone else putting in an OWB.. none at all.
I do have a problem with me putting one in...  ;D

I like the convenience of having the boiler unit inside, and bringing in a pallet of dry wood once a week (takes all of 5 minutes) within a few steps of the boiler and it is not inconvenient.
south central Wisconsin

bouncer

Went and checked out the new portage and main BL2840 OWB over the weekend very well built , it has a 180 degree reverse turn heat exchanger surrounded by water to capture extra heat before exiting the stack. Supposed to be more efficient.
George

Thank You Sponsors!