iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2020 fruit gardens

Started by SwampDonkey, May 31, 2020, 11:31:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

There used to be wild plums galore here when I was a kid.  Just about every community had a plum thicket.  They were Chickasaw plums.  Now there are almost none.  I know of three thickets in the entire county, and that’s from mowing the ROW when I worked for MDOT. They don’t produce very well either.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

thecfarm

The fruit of your labor.  ;D
And a nice view!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

Ive fertilized and watered my wild blackberries this year and theyre looking robust.. Just had the first handful of early ripeners today.   

Any tips on transplanting and taming them in a gardenish environment?  

I found wild grape in the woods today that is juuust starting to set tiny fruit.  Any chance i can start some cuttings from it?
Praise The Lord

Banjo picker

I have tried several times to get new muscadine plants and haven't done any good yet.  I have a brick setting on one of the shoots that came off down low on one vine.  I am gonna leave it till fall and see if it has rooted.  I tried a couple of air rootings in a plastic bottle ... that didn't work for me. 

On the berries.  You May be a little late for getting young sprouts.  The ones that I will get fruit off next year are already 7 feet tall.  I dug up about 5 earlier an gave to a buddy that wanted a start of them.  I am going to have to thin some of the new growth around the mother plant because some have too many.  I am gonna try and get a little root to come up with them and see if I can start a plant from that.  It's a work in progress.  I'm learning as I go.  When I ordered them they were just tiny bear root plants....I planted them in the fall,... late got almost nothing the next year just one or two per plant.  Only get fruit from last years wood.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: mike_belben on June 28, 2020, 11:27:38 PM
I found wild grape in the woods today that is juuust starting to set tiny fruit.  Any chance i can start some cuttings from it?
I moved my cultivated grapes, but made sure there was  a bit of a root on the cuttings. They were ones crawling across the ground. They have grown like weeds off them transplants. I buried mine in soil and manure, and early spring before leaves come on the trees.

I keep my blackberries caged, but I'm only doing small plots. It keeps them upright from falling over, as I mow lawn around them. Again I would move last years canes in early spring before leaf out. That is how I started mine from someone else's garden. It works on the raspberries also, they have to have lots of moisture to keep alive and grow roots out when you move them like that. They will even produce fruit the same year off them year old transplants.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

July 12 update:

Grapes

Blackberry canes are jumping right up there. Lots of green fruit.

Raspberries. I guess I'd better get to the garden and pick some.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

July 18

I tied the grapes and did some more pruning of some side shoots and tipped them so they begin to go laterally. Here are the grapes sizing up, more to grow yet. ;D

Pruned. Hard to believe there was quite an armload of brush vines from the clippings.

SwampDonkey

Black elder fruit setting.

Walnut Beast

Are you going to make some wine 🍷 or jelly 

SwampDonkey

trapper

my gooseberry has ripe fruit on it.  First year to bear. 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

SwampDonkey

Quote from: trapper on July 18, 2020, 09:29:42 PM
my gooseberry has ripe fruit on it.  First year to bear.
Makes good jam. Father loved gooseberry jam. :)

mike_belben

Hey i think that might be one of the things ive been trying to ID.. I thought it was a sumac.  Did the elder start off white flowers/pods then turn to green and continually grow larger .. Like a globe sorta?  I will upload a pic soon
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

Yep, that is elder there. I don't know what species you have. Some are not edible. Mine is. We have two kinds of red ones in the wild that we can't eat. One that grows around here in the wild will be in bloom before the snow is gone.

This edible one flowers in late June and into July. Berries are black when ripe.

thecfarm

I call them elder berries. Most times they grow where it is wet.
Sanbucus canadensis
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Up here they grow on well drained ground, especially on berms of roads cut through hardwood ground. I cut a lot of them down growing along the woods roads and in plantations. They never grow up straight, they come up then droop back down toward the ground. A pain to cut because they don't fall over. :D

SwampDonkey

July 30

First little dish of blackberries, 3/4 of a quart box. ;)

SunnyHillFarm

The edible ones make an awesome pie if the birds don't get them first. I have to cover mine if I want any ripe fruit

Banjo picker

My blackberries are done for this year.  There is a very few late bloomers that are still red, but mostly gone.  When I get time, I'll get the pruners out and cut them down and haul them off.  New canes for next year are 6 to 7 feet tall after having the tops cut back once already.  Tim

SwampDonkey

Aug 1

Grapes are showing color.

mike_belben

My blackberries have finished off as well.  It was a record year for them.  

I stomped about 30 of those caterpillars groping on blueberry foliage in the woods yesterday.  They were still clustered and musta been fresh hatched.  You guys in the south may wanna keep a close watch this week.
Praise The Lord

Chuck White

With the dry spell we're just now getting through, most of the Blackberries have dried up!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

I've picked a couple quart boxes of blackberries since the first one. They are hanging like grapes this year with all the watering I've been doing. Only way we would have any. Lots of new canes for next year. Will probably cut the old raspberry canes down next weekend, they have finished off. They was nice and blump to with the watering. Not a lot of old canes from last year, since it was terrible dry last year to, and year before. But next year I'm going to be overrun with raspberries. Keep on watering. Glad I got that side by side and a creek 5 minutes away with a big water hole beside the road. Full of little brook trout in there to, but I don't bother them none. :)

mike_belben

I finally put a ibc tote with a hose in a little trail that the tractor tugs around.  Didnt end up needing to use it too often.  There was only about 2 weeks that were really dry.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!