2020 fruit gardens

Started by SwampDonkey, May 31, 2020, 11:31:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Aug 15

Grapes are getting more color and size.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Aug 22

Picked the first pint of black elders. I will freeze as I pick, then thaw and cook up some juice. Probably be 2 weeks away as my other bush is just beginning to show color.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Well at least yours are picked. I just clip the clusters off and pick them off at home. We are going to dehydrate the berries this year. Will let you know how that works out. They are just getting ready here. I have a plastic grocery bag almost full. There was a whole bunch down by the brook last year. And I do mean a whole bunch. Not many there this year. Seem like they come and go. Found this bunch just driving down the road.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

These are cultivated Cfarm, I hope those wild ones are the edible type. Our red ones here in the wild are not. I want to get 2 more plants next spring at the nursery. Black elderberry processed into anything is pricey. I do snip off the clusters with my pruning scissors and sit in my lawn chair under the red oak to remove them from the stems. The chickadees were visiting the oak as I was removing the berries.  :)

thecfarm

They have been edible for the last 20 years.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Yep, well, still breathing. :D Something I always ask about wild berries when no one I ever knew ever touched elderberries, the red ones. I think the black kind we have are even different and they are rarely seen. I see groves of red ones on disturbed areas and not on wet ground, more like garden soil. We have a black berry here much like the elders, that grows on wet ground of bogs and heavy clay ground. They grow in clusters to. It's wild raisin, different leaves. It's in same family as high bush cranberries. I just came off a blueberry bog full of them, I cut lots of them down.

Macphail Woods: Wild Raisin

These are the non red ones here, and different than the cultivated ones I have. They seem to be more the color of blueberries.

https://northernbushcraft.com/topic.php?name=elderberry&region=nb&ctgy=edible_berries

Noted to cause nausea by the author.

thecfarm

Those look more like blue berries.
This is what I pick.

elderberries

Sambucus canadensis
These look just like the ones you picked.

SwampDonkey

Yep, yours are the same as mine. Mine is the 'York' cultivar, but same Latin name. Probably because of selection and breeding they have a slightly different plant.

On that website I posted the berries are different, but same leaves. So, probably some different cultivar in the wild. Or the photo is someone else's and could be a European or Asian variety.

Banjo picker

Muscadines are getting ripe.  

The light skinned ones need a few more days. But when I kind one that's a little soft ....in my mouth it goes.  Sweet.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

SwampDonkey

Good stuff. :)

We picked the Concords on the weekend as the robins and blue jays had planned a raid. We put an end to it, by removing the grapes. :D

We froze them and will mix them in with the black elders for a some juice this coming weekend. 8)

Banjo picker

Gona make muscadine jelly out of these.  Then I be in a fix....which do I want muscadine or blackberry.   A stack of pancakes with some regular syrup and a helping of blackberry jam is hard to beat.  Tim 
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

SwampDonkey

Quite a quandary to be in. :D

Banjo picker

Deb made the muscadine jelly yesterday, so it got the call this morning.  My two rescue terriers are doing a good job of keeping the possums and coons out of them.  Didn't make many last year anyway as it was their first year to bear, and the critters got most of them, before I got them.  Tim

SwampDonkey

Made 2 - 1 litre bottles of juice with black elder, blackberry, and concord grape today. So gooooood. ;)

Tomorrow will be the red fruits (currant, red raspberry, Canada plum)

SwampDonkey

Raspberry, currant, wild Canada Plum all bottled up. This is more concentrated with the extra raspberries.

Super foods. ;)

curved-wood

SwampDonkey : what is your receipe for your plum juice ? Our plums are super good fresh but when we try to tranform it, it becomes bitter. I think it might be the skin

SwampDonkey

Might be the plums to. Is yours prunus nigra (Canada Plum)? That is the one I have. There are several plum species, but we have one here in New Brunswick. My plums I cook to soften and run through a cone shaped colander with a wooden paddle you roll around the rim to squeeze the juice out so you are left with the stone, skin and pulp to toss out. Mine is mixed in with other fruit as indicated. I strain into another pot with cheese cloth over it and clothes pins to hold. A couple freezer bags of fruit will take at least 1/2 a cup of sugar and may not need any more. I also throw in a couple cinnamon sticks. I boil the juice up really well so it rolls in the pot some, but medium heat. I sterilize the bottles, and use a funnel with strainer on top which is sterilized to. I find I need to use a spoon on the strainer to get the juice to drip out good. With the raspberries it is quite concentrated so I add water when serving it up. Adding soda pop makes it too sweet for me. Some good, just had a glass since we had a 3rd bottle that was half full. :D

Canada plum makes beautiful jelly to and we sometimes throw any left over plum juice in with high-bush cranberry juice for cranberry jelly. :)

SwampDonkey

Talking about plums. We had a cleaning job on old abandoned farm ground. I had a strip that had a little grove of wild plums. Only thing was, I had to cut them down, not crop trees. But I did leave a couple in spots that would be holes. But, that's one of the realities in life.

Banjo picker

The last fruit tree my mom planted made a load of pears this year...nice big firm ones.  I helped Deb peal them last night and today she made pear preserves.  I had to order the lids on line as no store in this one horse town had any.  Piggly Wiggly said they had not had any in 3 months.  Seems like a good reason not to shop there.  I got some in two days on line.  

gona be good with some biscuits.  I made some cornbread tonight and they are pretty good on that too.  Tim

SwampDonkey

The brine reminds me of watermelon pickles. I bet they are tasty pears to. :)

Thank You Sponsors!