iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

56% of People are Happier in the Fall

Started by YellowHammer, October 17, 2020, 09:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

I was watching the local news this morning, and they had a story that "56% of people are happier in the Fall".  I don't know if that's true, or where they get their data, but I don't care, because it's about time for people to be happier, with all the stuff going on.

Fall is here and it's a season of too much to do.  Between the milling, kiln operation, lumber business, it's also time for hunting seasons to open up and fishing season to get into high gear.  So it's hard to take a break from work and enjoy life.  However, I do it every chance I get.  Work hard/play hard.  Here in the South, fall is also a time for the hardwoods to turn colors and the lakes to get a unique "fall" look.  

Anyway, I was doing some fishing this week, and I noticed the pictures were the first ones of the fall for me.  What makes me 56% happier?  Catching some big smallmouth on Tims Ford Lake on a slick calm, 70° day with the trees showing their first fall colors in the background.

What makes you 56% happier in the Fall?

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

The fact it's no longer 100 degrees with 95% humidity makes me happier in the fall!
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SwampDonkey

Cool fall air, smell of fallen leaves and bird hunting helps some to. It's good medicine. 8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doc henderson

able to work without my shirt stickin too me.  I can work outside longer without needing a beer.  In Kansas we get 4 seasons and we are always about ready for the next, after the one prior.  I still remember raking leaves with my grandpa when I was about 4.  nice catch!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Roxie

I am 56% happier seeing your smiling face holding those fish. 
Say when

WV Sawmiller

Remember - Larry the cable guy says 86% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

lxskllr

Love fall! It's my favorite time of year followed by my second favorite time of year. Leaves are pretty, the air smells crisp, perhaps tinged with woodsmoke, and it's not miserably hot. It's chainsaw time, and drinking season starts(mind the order!). It might even be a good time for an outside fire.

My perfect year would be eight months of fall, three months of winter, one month of spring, and one day of summer to remind me how good I have it.

WDH

Like some others, I am happier because I am not soaked with sweat in the oppressive heat and humidity. As I get older, it is more of a struggle.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

Chamber of commerce day today, clear crisp, water was a bit nippy when I slipped one boot in taking these  :D

YellowHammer

Those pictures look like they should be on a postcard.  Very nice.  

My dog Chip was 56% happier sleeping in the fall air while I worked today.

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Stephen1

Up here in the north land, I am happier in the spring. Our fall is over, except the oak leaves are beautiful. They keep a little colour round.  I do like fall, its what follows that most of us have a problem with, we have to get everything put away and hunker down for the snow. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

gspren

Two weeks ago I hunted Delaware muzzle loader deer season, in the early hours I wore a light wool shirt and orange vest over my Tee shirt until about 10 AM and didn't have mosquitos bugging me. Watching squirrels play and a fox go by made me happy for a few days till a 6 point came past and then the orange Tee shirt was heavy enough without the wool for dragging duties. I enjoyed a few days where we ran neither the AC or heat!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

firefighter ontheside

Well, I'm about 75% happier in the winter, so fall is just the beginning for me.  I too like the moderating of temps as fall starts.  I love to be outside working when the fall breeze is whistling through the pines.  I don't know why it sounds different thru the pines in the fall than it does in the summer, but I hear a difference.  My son and I got away for a weekend earlier this month.  Caught some smallmouth and even a few walleye.  I like to walk around in my woods when its not muddy or infested with ticks.  This spring was horrible for ticks.  Looking forward to lots of milling this fall and winter.  Hopefully that comes to fruition.  For the first time in at least 30 years I'm not planning a ski trip to the mountains.  That makes me a little sad, but it will also be nice to be home for the whole Christmas season.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Jeff

I can guarantee I am a 1000% happier in the fall, in the woods with the phone in the cabin and the first chance of an internet connection mile down the road,

in my deer blind while eating a cookie.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Stephen1

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on October 31, 2020, 10:39:00 AM
Well, I'm about 75% happier in the winter, so fall is just the beginning for me.  I too like the moderating of temps as fall starts.  I love to be outside working when the fall breeze is whistling through the pines.  I don't know why it sounds different thru the pines in the fall than it does in the summer, but I hear a difference.  My son and I got away for a weekend earlier this month.  Caught some smallmouth and even a few walleye.  I like to walk around in my woods when its not muddy or infested with ticks.  This spring was horrible for ticks.  Looking forward to lots of milling this fall and winter.  Hopefully that comes to fruition.  For the first time in at least 30 years I'm not planning a ski trip to the mountains.  That makes me a little sad, but it will also be nice to be home for the whole Christmas season.
We are still planning at trip, but we will go east, Quebec and meet my Daughter and Grandchildren. Somewhere ski in/out so we will not have to use the day lodge, or have to parking lot ski. I don't mind when it's myself, but the GF likes the convenience and it is a lot easier with little munckins to be able to go inside to use the washroom. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

firefighter ontheside

I considered going to Lutsen in MInnesota.  I've been there a few times and its a respectable hill for not being in the rockies.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Mooseherder

Our trail through a patch of Beech trees.

YellowHammer

Nice.  It looks like it should be on a postcard.

Here's a photo of us finishing up around dusk.  The temps are moderating, the humidity is going down and the views are exceptional.

YellowHammerisms:

AK Newbie

I'm definitely one of the 56% fall is my favorite time of year!  The trees are beautiful, the berries are sweet, and the bugs are mostly gone.  It's a great time to be outdoors prepping for winter.  Hunting moose or caribou, smoking some salmon or putting up some more wood for the woodstove season.

LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

WDH

I see scarlet oak and southern red oak leaves  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mike_belben

Dont worry itll all burn the same  ;D

The nearest is a black gum, third is tulip poplar .. Id have to go look at the others.  The scarlet is just out of the frame and the white oaks are other side of the front yard.  
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!