iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is it?

Started by Mooseherder, February 08, 2021, 08:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

I spotted this egg beneath a Coconut Palm today.  A palm frond had fallen and I think the egg was nestled in it.  Is it a snake egg or a bird egg?  Something is in it and it's not a coconut.

<

doc henderson

not sure.  can you hyper-illuminate it with a light bulb?  called candling for chicken industry.  might be able to tell a bird from a snake in the egg.  If you are not going to give it heat and try to hatch it, might as well crack it open and see.  .  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Mooseherder

Okay, I just tried it with a flashlight.   You can see a mass and feel the weight of it but not able to make it out.  I'll try with a light bulb tomorrow.

doc henderson

you may need a hole just under the size of the egg cut in some cardboard, so the light goes through the egg, but does not blind you or shine around.  lots of stuff online on candling eggs.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

LogPup

Looks like snake egg.  They like to hang out up in the fronds.  Nothing like trimming a palm on a ladder and find a face and tongue looking you right in the eye.

LogPup

If they are snake eggs be careful.  We found some in the sand pile we played in as kids.  They were almost ready to hatch.  Being dumb kids we opened them up.  Baby coral snakes!!!

WV Sawmiller

If it is a bird egg the shell should be hard. If a reptile (Snake, turtle or lizard) the shell should be leathery.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

KEC

To that I would add that, to my knowledge, few if any bird eggs are that round. It looks a lot like Common Snapping Turtle eggs that I have seen. Maybe it had help getting up in the tree or it wasn't in the tree. ?

Mooseherder

It's possible that it wasn't in the tree.  We have a pond a few feet away from where it was found so a Turtle egg is possible.
We've got lots of turtles.

WV Sawmiller

And the OP said it was on the ground under the palm tree so he was speculating it came from the tree. Yes, a bird or iguana or could have carried it up there.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Mooseherder

I put it back to where it was and let nature work it out.  

KEC

Seriously, anyone considering eating turtle eggs should know they could be high in contaminants. A long time ago I tried cooking some snapping turtle eggs and they would not firm up so they got tossed. I'm not so adventuruos these days.

WV Sawmiller

KEC,

I should have added that to my "Did you know" thread but my old mentor always told me you could not hard boil a turtle egg because the yolk won't set. Also there is really no white to one. I butchered a big alligator snapping turtle in Albany Ga one time that was full of eggs. I gave them to my wife and she broke them and used them in a batch of cookies and the kids took "turtle egg brownies" to school with them and gave to the bus driver, teachers and their friends. There was likely nothing wrong with the ones you threw away - just nature at work.
Howard Green

Autocar

If you were here in Ohio I would say it was a turtle egg.
Bill

WV Sawmiller

If he was in Ohio he would never have found it for the snow. :D
Howard Green

caveman

Quote from: KEC on February 09, 2021, 09:02:25 PMSeriously, anyone considering eating turtle eggs should know they could be high in contaminants
Back in the 1930's my maternal grandfather used to collect sea turtle eggs along the east coast of Florida.  They would prepare them for a meal.  These days one would be executed on the spot for "molesting" a turtle nest.  This was near where Cape Canaveral/Kennedy Space Center was eventually built.  I think he sold his 100 acres for a $1 an acre and doubled his money.
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!