iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

preserving caterpillars and other insect specimens

Started by caveman, October 07, 2019, 10:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

Rather than reinventing the wheel I welcome advise on best methods to preserve caterpillars and other insect specimens.  

In the past, I have just put caterpillars in rubbing alcohol but the color fades quite a bit over time.  Last weekend I found a variable oak leaf caterpillar which is still alive.  I would like to keep it looking as natural as possible since I do not often find them and I use them to prepare our FFA's forestry team.

Also, most years I can find pine sawflies but this year the only ones I have found were too high for me to easily access.

I have some beetles that I have kept for years in hand sanitizer and others in alcohol but it does not seem to work as well on softer bodied insects.

Thank you for your suggestions,
Kyle
Caveman

btulloh

HM126

caveman

Caveman

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ianab

Quote from: ljohnsaw on October 07, 2019, 11:06:38 PM
How about embalming them in epoxy?
Anything you embed into epoxy needs to be dry. So that works with insects and spiders as you can dry them out and they keep their shape and colour. Caterpillar will likely look more like a raisin after it's dried?
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

Let me know if you need any gigantic, flesh eating, horse flies for your collection.  Even after hitting them with a 2x they are still in display condition!  ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Wudman

Quote from: Southside on October 08, 2019, 12:18:44 PM
Let me know if you need any gigantic, flesh eating, horse flies for your collection.  Even after hitting them with a 2x they are still in display condition!  ;D
We use a .22 rifle with shotshell and shoot 'em on the wing. ;D ;D
Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Thank You Sponsors!