Crushed foot

Started by Bruno of NH, August 30, 2019, 08:57:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

Crushed my foot doing firewood 
Pictures to come
Going to have to get some steel toe boots
Never liked them but learned my lesson. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

btulloh

Sorry about your foot Bruno.  I hope it's not too bad and it gets better fast.

I personally vote for no pictures.    ;D ;D  Sometimes a couple words is worth a thousand pictures.   ;D ;D  

Get well soon.
HM126

Weekend_Sawyer

Ouch! and the hits keep coming!
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Bruno of NH

Yup the last 6 years I'm under some black cloud.
I'm tough but starting to lose some of my grit .
I will just try and channel my Dad as he was fighting lung cancer.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

doc henderson

Quote from: btulloh on August 30, 2019, 09:08:43 AM
.    ;D ;D  Sometimes a couple words is worth a thousand pictures.   ;D ;D  

Get well soon.
I am sure Bruno used a couple of those words!!! :)  god speed Bruno.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Bruno of NH

Doc.
The funny thing is I never felt it.
Got inside took my shoe off and looked down and went . say_what

doc henderson

I get redwing boots with composite toe and soft leather.  feel like hike boots but more support.  soft sole so do not hurt to stand in.  If you go to a dealer they can look mine up on line and take a look.  not cheap but I consider them one of my logging tools.  no real break in period.  I just take them out of the box and start wearing them.  good luck. 8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

rjwoelk

Doc which shoes did you get? Pic?  We have Redwing shoes up here as well, my son has been buying them.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: rjwoelk on August 30, 2019, 11:18:34 AM
Doc which shoes did you get? Pic?  We have Redwing shoes up here as well, my son has been buying them.
Cutting trees, it's a no brainier to wear my logging boots, splitting wood also because there are too many times I lose control of the round or a big split falls off and it ALWAYS aims for my foot. The steel toes are a godsend especially with the sharp rocks we have here. I can't afford the really nice ones, but I bought a pair of Carolinas and after the break in period they have worked well and are comfortable. I wish they were taller than 10" though. I have this bad habit of using my foot as a chock when rolling the big logs around and they are handy for that also, unless the log roll up on top of my foot, then I am dead in the water, so to speak. (Actually, it's one of my bigger fears, being caught under a log alone down by the mill and not having a good tool within reach.) Even when I wear my 'light' shoes when milling, they have a composite toe and shank.
 I hope you heal up quick.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

sawguy21

That is going to be a slow painful recovery. Ouch!!! My landlord did the same thing cutting a large walnut limb which let go sooner than expected. Hard toe boots are indispensable for saving toes but don't do much to protect the upper foot.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

doc henderson

I am on pair number five.  i add the toe cover black stuff.  soft leather and composite toe.  you can get metatarsal guards.  400 g thinsulate.  stock number 2244 but that may change.  you can ask them to look up what i got by name in Wichita, Ks.
I you are near a dealer, they will reapply toe cove, replace shoe laces, spray for water proof.  they have also replaced brass eyelets and made patches to the inside liner all for free.  
pics to follow

they could look up on the computer what my brother bought in another town.  his were hard leather and required weeks of break in.  this was handy after I found this style.  I could call and have them look it up, and my wife could pick them up,  I also like the insoles.  you warm them up in the oven and they conform to your feet.

Bruno of NH

Old Greenhorn

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

Bruno, 

Sorry about the sore hoof. Hope it heals soon and completely.

My son dropped a 6' log on my R foot when I first got my mill and was practicing on some logs he had. Lost my big toe nail and likely broke a toe or two next to it but never got it checked out. (What are they going to do anyway besides tell you "You've got a broken toe."?). To make matters worse a week later he dropped the front landing gear on the same foot when we loaded up the mill to take it home. I remember some of those words Doc is talking about!

I generally 9" ST boots from TSC when working around the mill. I think they are TS Schmitt brand Logger model. 

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

curved-wood

Sorry about your foot. Hope that you will heal fast.

Don P

I like Red Wings, and they go to H wide. Why in the world would anyone need an H, that would be dropping a log cutoff onto my foot in sneakers on a concrete slab. I didn't go get it checked out and don't know if they could have done anything but it smushed that knuckle below the big toe and it has gotten the Arthur, large and none too happy. It went up by 2 sizes and 4 widths. Alley Oop kinda tree frogged it :D. All depending it might be worth getting it checked.

Thank You Sponsors!