iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chevytaHOE5674

Peter what do you have that weighs 22 tons???

Al_Smith

We probabley still have 18" of compacted snow on the ground which itself is hard as a rock .Now they are predicting rain which has no where to go except straight north to Lake Erie . If we get two-three inchs it will swell every creek and river over the banks .The farther north the worse it will get .

I look for big problems when that water hits the big lake and the ice breaks up .Not to mention what damage those big ice jams can do on the major rivers .This could be bad . :o

thecfarm

Peter has a 22 ton excavator.
I mentioned I shoveled for the dog last night. Hardly got a dusting after I did that. So about 4 inches. More,just about the same, coming in tonight. 12° for a low 24° now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chevytaHOE5674

Ahh that would make sense.

Already up to 31° and not a cloud in the sky. Too bad that we aren't going to get another week or two of this weather.

Jim_Rogers

When I walked out of the sawmill office/shop last night there was at least 6" of new snow in the driveway.
This morning when I walked out of my mother's house to the shop the thermometer said almost 40°F.

Stuff is falling off the trees every where.
Very bright out there today. Suppose to rain later, will be heavy then.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

coxy

this stinks snowing again   got snowed out yesterday and again today cost me more in gas to get there than I made :-\ the story of my life this year     spring where are you ;D 8) I stopped putting the tape in the snow 30in ago   :D :D

Peter Drouin

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on February 19, 2014, 08:41:04 AM
Peter what do you have that weighs 22 tons???

;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

SwampDonkey

;D Might help take the snow load off the greenhouse Pete. ;D

33F Here today for a high and climbing.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Started snowing here around 3 today. Suppose to be over by 8:30? We'll see what happens. It's a fine snow,maybe 3 inches. Than a sunny day and above freezing temps.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chevytaHOE5674

High of 43° today and sunny. Tomorrow that will all change. Calling for 12+" of wet snow tomorrow into Friday and maybe more than that. A huge low pressure system is coming through that is bigger and stronger than the one back in 1975 that sank the Edmund Fitzgerald. Usually the local weather folks don't make a big deal out of 12" of snow because that happens often. But they are all buzzing about this low pressure system that will cause blizzard conditions and gale force winds....

clww

69 degrees here at The Beach today. Had a bit of rain this morning, but the thunderstorm stayed in NC mostly. Windy this afternoon.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

chevy,that does not sound good.  :(

SwampDonkey

Dig a hole out in the snow bank and hide.  :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Our thermometer touched 80° today and will again tomorrow morning.  That sets us up for possibly some strong storms tomorrow evening/night.  Scary stuff.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chevytaHOE5674

Yep sounding like tomorrow will be a day to batten down the hatches so that nothing blows away or gets plowed up into a snowbank.

Should probably run to town and buy bread and milk because that seems to be all the national news talks about every time a storm rolls through. haha

Escavader

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 18, 2014, 11:54:56 PM
Quote from: Escavader on February 18, 2014, 08:34:09 PM
it was not uncommon in the late 60 s early 70s for the town to plow big
storms with the grader ain't seen that for a while

Me too, with the blower on front. I bet if you went up to northern Maine, between Presque Isle and Caribou, they are going out in the farm fields to bust a hole in parallel to the road to cut down the wind blowing over the road, route 1 or 1A. ;D
a lot of snow up there my daughter is at college at umpi
Alan Bickford
Hammond lumber company/Yates American A20 planer with dbl profilers Newman feed table multiple saw trimmer destacker automatic stacking machine Baker resaw MS log corner machine  4 large capacity Nyles dehumidification kilns JCB 8000 lb forklifts woodmizer lt 15 and mp100 and blower

thecfarm

chevy,you talk about the national news,the local channel will stand by the freeway and complain about how bad the freeway is. The speed limit is down to 45mph.  ::)  The end is near. If those people ever got to drive the roads in Chesterville,they would have no idea what to do.
People are the same way here before a snow storm. They hit the stores hard. I can not remember a snow storm in my area that I could not get out the next day. Always was odd on the way to work in a snow storm. Not many people out. I always wonder where they all go when it snows. It seems that people don't have nothing to do,so they are out on the roads when it's not snowing. But get a little snow and the traffic is reduced to a low number.

chevytaHOE5674

I've never seen a run on any items at the store before a storm. Heck we often go grocery shopping when the weather is bad because the "crowds" (a crowd UP here is 3 or 4 people in the store) aren't so bad.

SwampDonkey

It would have to be a mighty long storm for me to worry about groceries. I have enough food sacked away to last 6 months or more. :D

thecfarm

When I was in highschool I worked at the local store bagging groceries. We could all tell when a snow storm was coming.

Autocar

Thirty degrees here this morning and there calling for rain and possible thunderstorms today. On the news they made a remark that if you lived in a flood plain area to be prepared for high water. This coming week there calling for near zero degrees again  ::).
Bill

red oaks lumber

we had 40 deg. yesterday, just bueatiful. today that all goes away. they are calling for 14+'' of snow   
with 40 mph winds and by the weekend their calling it the return of "polar vortex 3" next week we might not come above zero :( this stuff is getting very old.
the snow depth in undisturbed areas is close to 40" and i'm running out of places to put snow, my piles are all about 10' tall. :( didn't that furry rat call for an early spring? :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

chain

That's right, after this little warm spell the 8-14 day forecast is yet another nice cool-down particularly for those of you in the upper Mid-west. Should make for outstanding logging conditions...let's face it, when one door closes another opens somewhere for someone. ???

chevytaHOE5674

The 10 day forecast puts next weeks high temps in the -2 to -6 range and low temps in the -15 to -20 range.....

Oaks you needs to be like us yoopers and plan for lots and lots of snow and push it back a long ways in the beginning of the year. People from out of town that come to visit always laugh because I plow my entire yard and push the snow way back into the woods, but with a winter like this I have no worries about running out of places to put it.

Just looked at our winter weather warning and they are now saying 14-18" of heavy wet snow with the possibility of lake enhancement since the 50mph winds could break up a lot of the ice.

red oaks lumber

chevy
i did start plowing back, it just keeeps comming, with no melt in between :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Thank You Sponsors!