iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I need help telling northern red oak from southern red oak during winter.

Started by Hogfan, February 04, 2021, 09:12:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogfan

I found this forum while searching for help identifying black oak. Thanks to the pocketknife bark peel trick, I think I can now do that. The yellow under bark is pretty striking. 

But most of the red oak Identification guides suggest looking at the leaves and that's obviously not possible in the middle of winter. I live in NW Arkansas and we have both southern and northern red oaks as well as black oaks here. So, anybody got any fool proof tips to tell northern from southern without leaves? My involvement with them is just for firewood, but I just would like to know. 

KEC

I can't help with telling Northern RO from Southern, but Black oak has chunky looking bark, at least on bigger trees.

ESFted

Northern oak is covered in snow.  Southern oak...not so much :D Sorry, couldn't help myself.
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

kantuckid

I have both trees on my small forest in the Daniel Boone NF/Red River Gorge Geologic area. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

curdog

I've heard the ridges in NRO bark described as ski slopes.  Usually darker colored ridges and lighter gray colored valleys. But learning the buds is going to be the best option for winter tree id 

Hogfan

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on February 06, 2021, 08:05:16 AM
I think the bark is your only hope without leaves.  Try this.
Northern Red Oak vs Southern Red Oak: Identification - bplant.org
The pic of the bark on the sro is such a small part of the tree that basically, it could be a black oak just as easily as a sro. Do nros  exhibit the same white horizontal banding as sro? 

WDH

Northern red oak bark has silver longitudinal streaks.  Very distinct silver streaks.  Ski-slopes is a good description.  Southern red oak does not have the silver streaks.  I do commonly see the white horizontal banding on southern red oak.  I can easily distinguish the two from the bark. 

As to acorns, the shallow saucer like cup on northern red oak is distinctive.  Southern red has more of a bowl shaped acorn cup, not saucer like. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Hogfan

I think I can identify nro pretty easily. It's just the sro that I'm struggling with.  So far,  everything either looks like a nro or has the yellow under bark indicating that it's a black oak. 

There aren't any acorns right now,  so it looks like I'm stuck waiting on leaves to emerge. Once I'm able to match the leaves with the tree,  I'm hopeful I'll be able to recognize the differences in bark as well. 

Oh well,  I've made great progress figuring out which hickory is which this winter.  I guess I'll look forward to Spring for the oaks. 

Thank You Sponsors!