iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gearmatic 19

Started by Caseybow123, May 01, 2017, 05:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caseybow123

Hello everyone.
Just started working on this winch on the 518 Cat. I noticed it was leaking brake fluid out the side cover. The brake does release however it won't winch in. When I try fluid will come out around the small hydraulic tube that goes into the end of the gland cover. Is there a seal which holds this tube in because when I try to winch, there is enough pressure to make it leak or completely kick the tube out. There must be some there to seal it I would think. Still not sure if this is my only problem yet.

Ed_K

Yes, there are two o-rings and they are special. Their not round more concave. Most of us have replaced that part with a live swivel.
Ed K

Caseybow123

Thanks Ed, that is what I thought. Any idea where I can purchase them or the swivel in Canada? I live in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan.

jonesjco

Timberparts in sussex new brunswick keep a good selection  of gearmatic parts. There might be somewhere else  closer to you
Gearmatic: 9 little letters that spell big aggravation

longtime lurker

Best place I've found for Gearmatic parts is Driveline Fabrications/Jewell Macinery in Va.

if they'll ship them out to me they'll ship them to anywhere...
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Caseybow123

Thanks for the help everyone.  I phoned Timberparts in N.B and they have everything I need.

Caseybow123

Well guys, got the seals and new hydralic tube with bearings installed, bled and works with no leaks. Now: winch will pull in the chokers but that's it. Refuses to budget a tree off the ground.  Is there a possibility that the bands are just wet from brake fluid.??

Spartan

yes

you can spray them with brake cleaner or starting fluid while it is rotating.  just spray it in the gap and you can engage the clutch every once in a while.  What I do is I work it even when it is slipping, a lot of reeling in and driving off.  It will slip it and can sometimes work some of it out.

Or, you can remove them and spray them with brake cleaner and wire brush the snot out of them.  That works better.

Or replace them.  but I'm broke so I dont do that unless there is no other option.
You may still have air in it too.

coxy

take them out and sand them with the roughest  sand paper you can get also do the inside of the drum  I would also do the brake bands the same as long as your this far in to it one more hour is cheap insurance  :)

Caseybow123

Thanks guys, once I get my flat tire changed I will try the brake cleaner trick first than coxy's sandpaper next. My dad used to spray  his gearmatic 9 when this happened with the chemical fire extinguisher. Seemed to work but gets expensive.

Caseybow123

Still cannot get this winch to pull any type of  a load. Spartan and Coxy do you have any other tricks. The winch is actually a 119 not 19 which I am sure doesn't make a difference (same setup).  Do you guys think it may not be wet bands but possibly something else?

coxy

with the cover off can you see the bands working or can you take a pic of the bands so we can have a look it your handle hard how far back is your handle going mine only moves about 2in leaving the neutral position and going to winch position make shur your inner clutch band is working there is a adjustment bolt like a back brake adjuster on a truck/car should be 3/4 wrench to turn it don't tighten it to tight it needs to have a little play   

Caseybow123

Thanks  coxy. I had some air in my line yet. Once I got it out, I adjusted the band some and it seems to be working somewhat better now. Tomorrow if it isn't raining I will put a heavier load on it to try and eliminate any excess fluid on the bands. Thanks again for your help and I will post after I try it out.

Spartan

Sometimes you need to bleed them at the clutch slave in the housing and work backwards.  I actually got sick of having to bleed mine and still have air in it so I just use a "mighty vac" now to get most of it out.

My winch isn't in the most fantastic shape, If it rains any amount, I need to slip it a bit to get it to hook up.

Thank You Sponsors!