iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Inboard vs outboard clutch

Started by John Mc, April 30, 2010, 12:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on May 04, 2010, 11:00:43 PM
In my tree removal business I "noodle" alot of oversized blocks in half for ease of handling. The outboard clutch on my Husky 395  keeps the sprocket cover clear of those long stringy chips.Almost seems like the spinning clutch drum pulls the chips out.
On my  Stihl 066 and Husky 372 with their inboard clutches the covers plug up solid. I used to keep the side cover off the 066 with the bar nuts shimmed up to noodle spit blocks.
Not no more now that I got my 395XP.
Willard. 8)

I am sure there are more factors in play regarding noodling than just out- vs. in-board clutches.

Once, I thought the preferable design was an inboard with an as "clean" as possible area under the clutch cover - but later experience have told me that it isn't always true..... ???

Both my best and my worst noodlers (regarding clogging) have outboard clutches!
Information collector.

Al_Smith

Quote from: joe_indi on May 05, 2010, 07:58:22 AM

Well Al, though you brought up that shovel, in a lot of places they do use them to go down a bit deeper.Maybe another inch.
I didn't mention it because I was afraid you would say that my story was even wilder :D

Joe
Oh I'm not saying it's wild story ,just different is all .However with this method of nearly root clipping a tree I can see why you inquired about chipper chain a few weeks ago .

So then evidently these folks that ground clip them evidently stump jump them .In other words no felling notch .

HolmenTree

Quote from: SawTroll on May 05, 2010, 01:08:48 PM
Quote from: HolmenTree on May 04, 2010, 11:00:43 PM
In my tree removal business I "noodle" alot of oversized blocks in half for ease of handling. The outboard clutch on my Husky 395  keeps the sprocket cover clear of those long stringy chips.Almost seems like the spinning clutch drum pulls the chips out.
On my  Stihl 066 and Husky 372 with their inboard clutches the covers plug up solid. I used to keep the side cover off the 066 with the bar nuts shimmed up to noodle spit blocks.
Not no more now that I got my 395XP.
Willard. 8)

I am sure there are more factors in play regarding noodling than just out- vs. in-board clutches.

Once, I thought the preferable design was an inboard with an as "clean" as possible area under the clutch cover - but later experience have told me that it isn't always true..... ???

Both my best and my worst noodlers (regarding clogging) have outboard clutches!
Alot depends on the sprocket cover design but I do see the rotating outboard drum does  pull out the noodle chips . Of course when the saw is nearing the ground while going through the block it will plug for lack of room, so the block will have to be rolled a 1/4 turn to allow the saw to cut horizontially and with a wedge to prevent the pinch. Or just do the old : stop cutting, pull out a wad of chips with your hand , cut a little more......
Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

joe_indi

Quote from: Al_Smith on May 05, 2010, 04:03:08 PM
Oh I'm not saying it's wild story ,just different is all .However with this method of nearly root clipping a tree I can see why you inquired about chipper chain a few weeks ago .

So then evidently these folks that ground clip them evidently stump jump them .In other words no felling notch .

That is true. The chipper chain from Carlton required 75% less filing than the Chisel.But the users found it much slower when they work on tons/day basis.I have posted the video of the trials on Youtube.
Oregon has a 75D which resembles a chipper, but Wikipedia mentions only Carlton as a manufacturer of Chippers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saw_chain

Joe

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on May 05, 2010, 10:39:50 PM

Alot depends on the sprocket cover design but I do see the rotating outboard drum does  pull out the noodle chips . Of course when the saw is nearing the ground while going through the block it will plug for lack of room, so the block will have to be rolled a 1/4 turn to allow the saw to cut horizontially and with a wedge to prevent the pinch. Or just do the old : stop cutting, pull out a wad of chips with your hand , cut a little more......
Willard.

I prefer to put the wood on a pallet with a wooden backstop and/or finishing the splitting with an axe. If I have it on the ground and turn it, I prefere to turn it 1/2 a turn, not 1/4, to avoid the wedging.    :)
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Quote from: SawTroll on May 06, 2010, 02:11:55 PM

Alot depends on the sprocket cover design but I do see the rotating outboard drum does  pull out the noodle chips . Of course when the saw is nearing the ground while going through the block it will plug for lack of room, so the block will have to be rolled a 1/4 turn to allow the saw to cut horizontially and with a wedge to prevent the pinch. Or just do the old : stop cutting, pull out a wad of chips with your hand , cut a little more......
Willard.

I prefer to put the wood on a pallet with a wooden backstop and/or finishing the splitting with an axe. If I have it on the ground and turn it, I prefere to turn it 1/2 a turn, not 1/4, to avoid the wedging.    :)
Hey SawTroll I guess I didn't explain how big my "oversized" blocks are :D. Alot of these big hardwood [maple, elm, poplar] blocks I "noodle split" while I do removals are upwards around 30"- 40"  diameter X 24" long. No putting on pallets and no 1/2 turns. After the quarter turn cut and wedge I then can then cut straight down and 1/4 turn again and end up with 4 pieces of wood. This is where the torque monster 395XP - 32" Shines.
Willard.

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on May 06, 2010, 10:23:20 PM
Quote from: SawTroll on May 06, 2010, 02:11:55 PM

Alot depends on the sprocket cover design but I do see the rotating outboard drum does  pull out the noodle chips . Of course when the saw is nearing the ground while going through the block it will plug for lack of room, so the block will have to be rolled a 1/4 turn to allow the saw to cut horizontially and with a wedge to prevent the pinch. Or just do the old : stop cutting, pull out a wad of chips with your hand , cut a little more......
Willard.

I prefer to put the wood on a pallet with a wooden backstop and/or finishing the splitting with an axe. If I have it on the ground and turn it, I prefere to turn it 1/2 a turn, not 1/4, to avoid the wedging.    :)
Hey SawTroll I guess I didn't explain how big my "oversized" blocks are :D. Alot of these big hardwood [maple, elm, poplar] blocks I "noodle split" while I do removals are upwards around 30"- 40"  diameter X 24" long. No putting on pallets and no 1/2 turns. After the quarter turn cut and wedge I then can then cut straight down and 1/4 turn again and end up with 4 pieces of wood. This is where the torque monster 395XP - 32" Shines.
Willard.

Surely I know that the conditions and wood size vary a lot, no problem!    :)
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Here is something for you outboard clutch fans.
This afternoon I was removing a large DED American elm. While "noodle splitting" the butt end blocks my 395XP ran out of gas half ways through the cut. My 346XP NE was sitting near by so I gave it a try in the big block. Even though I had to double end cut the 24" long block because of the 346's 16" b/c, the 346 noodled none stop without plugging up. This is the first time I used the 346 noodling.
I looked at the 346's outboard clutch drum and side cover and like the 395 there is not alot of room in there for the chips to pile up in. Along with gravity the drum helps throw them out.
Now my inboard clutch 576s and 372 is another story. They plug up solid while noodling in the first few inches.
Willard.

Al_Smith

A little trick while ripping might be the ticket .Instead of attacking the wood parrellel to the grain  go at about a 45 degree . It will pull French fries but not those noodles that will clog just about anything using a bar guard . I can rip 18" thick pieces of red oak with a 125 Mac which has an outty clutch at about a foot a minute and never clog it up using that method .

Thank You Sponsors!