iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Inboard vs. Outboard Clutch

Started by brettl, January 15, 2014, 02:27:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brettl

I've seen this mentioned several times now. I know what they are when I look at them but not the pros and cons when used for limbing, stumping, etc. I like to know the pros and cons and the reasoning behind them to fully understand this. Thanks

sawguy21

I think it's just personal choice and marketing. Each will have so called advantages trumpeted however slight.. Outboard sprocket quicker to change, inboard can drive the oil pump which is simpler and cheaper.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

Outboard clutches don't transfer heat to the powerhead's crankcase like inboard clutches do. Might explain why the heavy duty pro saws like the Stihl 090, MS200 and the Husqvarna 3120, 395, down to the 338 use it.

Outboard clutches also place the b/c closer towards the center of the saw putting the b/c in a better balanced ergonomic position.
I find their sprocket covers stay clear better when noodle splitting a block of firewood laying on its side.

Down fall is getting the powerhead off a pinched b/c in a trees backcut which I've heard from many woodcutters, but I can't comment on that because I never had to do that before. :D 
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

jdhacker

;)
Quote from: HolmenTree on January 15, 2014, 12:36:50 PM
Outboard clutches don't transfer heat to the powerhead's crankcase like inboard clutches do. Might explain why the heavy duty pro saws like the Stihl 090, MS200 and the Husqvarna 3120, 395, down to the 338 use it.

Outboard clutches also place the b/c closer towards the center of the saw putting the b/c in a better balanced ergonomic position.
I find their sprocket covers stay clear better when noodle splitting a block of firewood with the grain.

Down fall is getting the powerhead off a pinched b/c in a trees backcut which I've heard from many woodcutters, but I can't comment on that because I never had to do that before. :D
;)
stihl 044
STIHL ms 291
Homelite XL12 for 31 years
140 husqvarna

Andyshine77

Outboard clutches also puts less stress on the crank bearing, do to the fact the drive sprocket is closer to the bearing itself.   
Andre.

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on January 15, 2014, 12:36:50 PM

I find their sprocket covers stay clear better when noodle splitting a block of firewood with the grain.

Quote from: Andyshine77 on January 15, 2014, 04:09:02 PM
Outboard clutches also puts less stress on the crank bearing, do to the fact the drive sprocket is closer to the bearing itself.

:) Yes to all that - totally agree!  8)
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!