iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Don't laugh too hard!

Started by orion388, September 19, 2013, 03:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orion388

Ok it's all been fun and games up to this point. Safely sawing in the "comfort zone" of my own place. Sawing board and batten siding, framing lumber with customer loading directly on his truck/trailer. Having everything I need just a few steps away.

Tomorrow morning this all changes and it get's real, quick fast and in a hurry! :) My LT35HD and I go on a little road trip for our very first portable job. And why not make it a nice Walnut job. In for a penny in for a pound.

More concerned with delivering a "great" job than the $$ that come with it. You only get one shot a reputation! I came by this job because the last guy wasn't showing up and this man has sawing needs several times a year. I don't want to mess this up.

Any suggestions (after you all get done laughing) would be well received.

Thanks

John
LT35HD, Kubota L4330, Stihl 361, 026, Massey Fersuson 55, Ventrac, Grasshopper, Small dumptruck and a huge yearning for knowledge from this forum.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

John....it'll be fun! Just do what you do at home and like they say.....measure twice, cut once.  smiley_thumbsup
You'll do fine.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Brad_S.

Sounds like you are used to cutting softwood dimensional lumber.
Remember hardwoods are a different ball game.
4/4 lumber in hardwood is really supposed to be in the area of 1-1/16 to 1-1/8 inches thick...remember to add that extra thickness. Also remember to always turn the log often and cut from the clearest face...don't even worry about the width of the boards coming off.
Good luck!
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

drobertson

No laughing here, steady as it goes, have your ducks in a row, make sure he has a plan for stick stacking, and locations for the lumber and debris, cut to his order preferences and easy peasy. Walnut cuts smooth, watch the knots a little,  just take it as it comes, try to avoid the rammy factor and just saw with a rhythm, be prompt and ready,  not much else to say.  Happy for you, it will be fun, and a payday when done,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

nk14zp

Make sure to take your spare blades,tools etc.
Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

isawlogs

Memories...  That first job, well good luck sleeping tonight  :D

Get yourself some extra blades, some gas and don't forget your lunch, no matter what , ya got to stop and have a bite and something to drink.  ;)

Have fun there is but one first time. ( save a peice of that first board if you can )
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Nomad

Be serious about the job, but not so serious you don't have fun with it.  Double check everything, relax and have a good time.  It isn't as exciting as the "other" first time, but not too far behind. ;D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Chuck White

John; just take your time and don't rush it and you'll do fine.

If you get the feeling of being pressured, just take a 10 minute water break.

We all had a first sawjob at one point or another!

Good luck to you!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bibbyman

Remember to roll up your truck windows if you park nearby.  Roll your cuffs down and pull out pockets to empty out sawdust.

Remember to lift the front leg support after you hitch up and before you drive off. 

Don't run over your finders or gas can or chainsaw. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

YellowHammer

Don't work at his pace...work at your pace.  You've been sawing long enough to know when you are in the groove, don't let a customer push or distract you.

Keep kids (of any age) away from the mill.

Make a good impression by making sure the blade is leaving an excellent finish, not one that has a tooth out of set and leaving a groove.  I know it's just rough sawn lumber, but smoother is better for a first time customer.

Every now and then, pull out a tape measure and run it across something and say loud enough for him to hear, "perfect."  Of course make sure it is... ;D

Have fun and good luck!!

YH

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

If it is one of those million $ walnuts, you might get a $1000 tip  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Good luck. Will we see pictures?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DanG

Take a note pad to jot down all the things you forgot to take, so you will have them next time.  ;)

Keep it fun and it won't be work!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

justallan1

While I haven't done any sawing for anyone else, I have done a lot of other work at the clients residence and I think the number one thing is to do it your way or let them politely know that's why they hired you. Another big one for me is and has always been would be the 400 questions they will have about what you are doing. You have to politely give them the shortest answer possible so you can get to work. Whether it's piece work or hourly it costs someone money.

Allan

customsawyer

You mentioned this is customer gets sawing done on a regular bases so I would think he will know about stickers and such. This is a great opportunity for you to learn and gain a regular customer.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Sixacresand

The only thing I do away from the house is go pick up logs, which is usually not far.  I hate making extra trips because I forgot something so I made a check list that includes everything from toilet paper to winch batteries.  I check it off before I leave home and again before I leave the visited site.  I know I look like an idiot filling out paper work and inspecting equipment, but a little extra time doing this can save a lot of time later. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Keystone31

It'd be my opinion that there's no such thing as "too much paperwork" when it comes to making sure the job gets done right. Obviously the customer doesn't want to be involved with it, but if he knows you're double and triple checking everything, he knows you take it seriously.
Kubota LM3800, '64 Workmaster 601, Norwood LM2000, Stihl MS270.

orion388

Thank you all for the words of encouragement..

Headed out this morning at 0630 and but for wrong directions would have been there on time at 0700. The customer realized he had told me a road name that did not exist and came looking for me.  Not hard to find an Avalanche towing a 24' orange machine in the back roads of WVA.

Set-up went with out a hitch. First log was the biggest Walnut I ever seen. Measured 35" on the big end. All in all in went smoother than a babys butt. He is a master wood worker and KNEW exactly what he wanted. All sawed 6/4 live edge, except where it was too wide for my LT35.

Part of this is going for a custom desk to a gentleman in Texas. The rest various projects. I will try to get some pictures in my album for those interested.

I do need one thing. That's a new attitude! :) When we were done and looking at what was there, I felt like I should be paying HIM for allowing me to cut such a fine piece of wood!.

Thanks again

John
LT35HD, Kubota L4330, Stihl 361, 026, Massey Fersuson 55, Ventrac, Grasshopper, Small dumptruck and a huge yearning for knowledge from this forum.

orion388

bedway

Im sure he was happy, and you were also, well done my friend ;D

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: orion388 on September 20, 2013, 02:09:44 PM

I do need one thing. That's a new attitude! :) When we were done and looking at what was there, I felt like I should be paying HIM for allowing me to cut such a fine piece of wood!.

To paraphrase Ben Franklin,

Beer is proof Walnut is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy!  ;)

Nomad

Good job, John! 8)  I'm betting you go to sleep with a smile on your face tonight.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Peter Drouin

Good job. Next time turn the lumber the other way so when you get a bigger job you will have room

like this :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

I wish that I had those slabs!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!