iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lost my source, but a family lost its business.

Started by Jeff, April 19, 2008, 11:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I had been getting kiln dried cedar shavings from an Amish furniture factory south of here for the Bio-Mizer. Well, the Hostetler family had a fire that leveled their business late yesterday afternoon.  I sure hope they can rebuild. It didnt take long at all for me to take a liking to Abram. I had printed off the whole Bio-mizer thread for him to read a few weeks ago. Over 150 printed pages. He was really interested in the idea.

http://9and10news.com/category/story/?id=133581
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

logwalker

Hearing that is like a kick in the gut. I sure hope they can rebuild. Any news about how it started? Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Dave Shepard

Sad news! Fires are terribly devastating. :( I hope they can recover from it.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

There is a video clip that goes along with the story.  Being Amish, I doubt if they have insurance. In fact I'd bet on it.  The land that Abram bought and built on is land where I hunted for many years that originally belonged to a farmer friend of mine. His loss had to be huge. I know there was an industrial size 4 sided planer/molding machine in there. That sucker must have been 30 foot long A gang saw, peeling machine and other odds and ends. So far we have not heard of the cause.

logwalker

That large machinery can come thru a fire and be rebuildable. Hope tha is the case.
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

sgtmaconga

Measure twice cut once

Brian_Rhoad

They don't have insurance as we know it, but their church will help them out. Their churches have have money set aside to use for emergancies like this.

thecfarm

That is too bad.I would be surprized if he did not rebuilt,unless he was not making the money he thought he should.How many worked for him?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

I saw about 4 different people in the times I visited. His brother lives next door and has some sort of wood business that IO did not investigate as it produced huge shavings. and his Dad lives across the road and he has a small pallet operation. Abram also has a circle mill there that was in a building just a short distance from the one that burned. I dont know if that survived or not.

dewwood

I would be surprised if they do not rebuild.  They are very resourceful and draw on many options within the community.  An Amish friend of mine had his house burn on a Sunday when they were at Church, by Thursday the site was cleaned up and the house was rebuilt.  They had people, both Amish and English, from the entire neighborhood there providing what they could.  I took my trailer and Eli(the homeowner) and went to a Lowes about fifty miles away an we brought back a whole load of materials.  It was just amazing how much was accomplished in such a short time.  Eli commented to me that his biggest problem was trying to keep everything organized and materials available for the project.

Best of luck to your friends and I hope they can rebuild and be back in business in a short time.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

beav39

SORRY TO HEAR THAT FIRE IS ADEVASTATING THING TO OVERCOME,GOOD LUCK  TO THEM JEFF,KEEP US POSTED                  scot
sawdust in the blood

crtreedude

I am very sorry to hear that Jeff. As you might recall, we had a fire in the early days of Finca Leola - it was painful to say the least. A very emotional thing.

The Amish have the best kind of insurance, in my opinion, people who care about you.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Fla._Deadheader

Take yer mill up there and pitch in. You will never regret it.  8) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Corley5

That's terrible  :(  Hope they come out of it in good shape
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

I stopped down to Abrams this morning to see if my saw would be of any use to them. Lucklily the mill building and sawmill survived. They already had much of the burnt equipment of trailers, the cement pad cleared and work underway to rebuild. The lumber was already ordered for the building.  There was a guy there trying to low ball them on some of the burnt equipment.  I told Abram I'd post a few photos here to see if you thought any of it had any value yet. they had just put a band saw resaw in two days before the fire and had yet to run any wood through it. THis guy there offered them $150 for it. I'm sure its worth more then that. The wheels still turn fine on it.

Some of the stuff is certainly junk, but I gotta think things lie the big four sided planer must still have some value.  What do you guys think?   I'll just post a bunch of the photos I took so you can see how bad it was.

Jeff

THey not only lost the building and equipment but quite a lot of product. There was many finished cedar dressers sitting in there. Bunks of cedar t&g log siding cedar paneling. I believe one of the fellows there said about a semi load of northern white cedar lumber.  From the photos you can see the destruction of the lumber that was outside as well.  In the first photo, the trailer to the left, thats all the siding from the building.

ADAMINMO

Man .... That is a bad deal.What a severe loss for them.I hope they can recoup and get back to doing their business.They lost quite a bit.Looks like the fire got pretty hot and probably warped alot of the machines beyond repair.It don't take much of warp to make a machine useless that is supposed to be straight to begin with.Man what a bad deal.

Reddog

Jeff,
I agree with Adam.
Most times if the paint gets burned off, they got to hot to save.
If someone needs a feed roller or something like that it might be fine.
But the frames are most damaged when the water hits the hot metal.

But a 150 is a cheap shot. They could strip the machines themselves for copper and such and make out better.

Best of luck to them in getting back up and running. Always sad to see hard working folk set back like that.

zopi

That is just heart rending....I would imagine though that they will be up and running again soon, I admire the Amish, though I don't really understand them...the very definition of 'indomitable will.'
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

little Bark

Growing up and living in Lancaster Co. PA the amish have a very large community here that #'s in the thousands.  There are two words that sums them up, Faith andFamily/Community.  I have never heard of an Amish that didn't rebuild his farm or business.  Alot of times around here they will have there barn rebuilt with in a week.  They just all drop what they are doing and go help.
Always use the rite tool for the job.

SwampDonkey

We've lost a lot of cedar mills over the years from fires. Unfortunately fire affects more than the business owner. Often times, in our experience, the wood deliveries have gone unpaid. Kind of a ripple affect.  :-\
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

One of the Hostetler family, Marvin, called this morning to see what the consensus was on salvaging any of the equipment.  He said to thank all of you for your advise, thoughts and well wishes. 

Oh, I asked him how things were going. He said they were planning on setting trusses yet this afternoon.  :o :o :) 8)

ADAMINMO

With the cost of scrap steel these days they can probably get a pretty good sum by selling all the machines for scrap steel.They would definatly get more that $150.00 for the resaw if they scrapped it rather than sell it to the guy who said he would give that much for it.Scrap steel prices are very high right now.

SwampDonkey

That's great Jeff. It's good to see someone able to jump back onto his/her feet after such a loss.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

rebocardo

>  Amish have the best kind of insurance, in my opinion, people who care about you.

I agree 100% !

Thank You Sponsors!