iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clone saws.

Started by Phil_Oz, December 19, 2018, 04:28:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil_Oz

Its been raining a lot here lately, so I've spent a lot of time on the 'puter. A byproduct of getting into this forum is I've read many threads and (I think) started exploring the saw subculture that is out there.

One thing I have found is that the (usually Chinese) clones that are out there have a real following - Farmertec/ Holzfforma being one example.

Many of the hard core saw users seem to go for a clone of the bigger Stihls and Huskys, mod them, put selected OEM parts on them, and seem to get a good package going for way less than half the price of an OEM saw.

Yes, there are some issues I can see with copyright for example - Stihl and Husky put a lot of R&D into these designs - only to have the chinese simply copy them.

On the other hand, I'm in Oz - even taking exchange rate into account, we probably pay up to twice what you guys in Nth America do (that is probably an agent/wholesaler issue, but the OEMs DO licence said wholesalers too - so the ethics of it cuts both ways IMHO).
Is a clone saw really all that different in principle to aftermarket parts?

Do any of you have some stories to tell, or opinions to air, on clone saws?

Devil With The Blue Dress On! First Look At the Holzfforma G660, ( Remember That Song?) - YouTube

Ms660 and 070 Clone Saw Thoughts. Year Later - YouTube
Stihl MS291, Stihl MS170, Husqvarna Rancher 50 (~86 model).

HolmenTree

After market parts have pretty well been around as long as chainsaws.
I remember in the 1980's Taiwanese and Italian made parts were popular.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

hedgerow

Phil_Oz
I too have thinking about these clone saws. I could use a 90cc saw for that once in a while tree on the farm that the Stihl 461 needs a little help. I have ran and installed a bunch of the HF knock off Honda engines on a wide variety of equipment and have had zero issues with them. I am just not sure they have got the chain saw quality to that level or not. Sounds like folks are making the kit saws  work if they sub some oem parts in the right areas. I don't think I am ready quiet yet to lay down my money for one.  

weimedog

I've had a bit of experience with them. A couple of things that might not be obvious...first. I really don't like cutting up a perfectly good or new OEM stock saw. Hard to beat a well setup with a sharp chain pro saw from any of the major manufacturers. I am going somewhere with this..:) Second, the OEM's such as Stihl and Husqvarna spend gazillions of dollars for research and testing to make certain their saws meet the needs of their customers AND from a service stand point, their dealers. And do this with the constraints placed by politics and the resultant governmental regulations. So with all that I appreciate the good OEM's even more, and to all who will listen; my opinion is a good OEM pro saw is the best solution for 90 percent of the folks out there, from farmers to pro's as a cost effective tool.

For me, and I can only speak for myself, as I said; I really avoid cutting up a good OEM saw. You can go back through ALL my postings and interactions over the years and that will ....become apparent. The aftermarket thing happens in all things where there is past sales volume and enough wear related repair to justify a company to tool up and compete for those repair parts. And even complete machines in some cases, witness the Harley Davidson world with complete motors, or the lawn mower world with copy Honda motors. Look at all the "AR" variants out there.

So this new "twist" of complete saws isn't new. But still I'm conflicted. In some cases, especially with saws no longer produced or supported, aftermarket is a blessing for those who like to keep the old things running. For me they have provided a source of things to cut up and personalize, something as defined in paragraph one I don't like to do with OEM saws. For that matter most of the modifications/experimentation I have done over the decades started with saws run past their service life and why not hack at them for fun? For me, the new Aftermarket stuff gives me cheap raw material to explore while leaving my OEM's as shelf queens..:) A twist honestly I never could have anticipated. And I've done a lot of work with those creations. Built "used up" OEM's, hacked up AM's, and blends. That's the hobby for me.

Those compete AM saws? Better than the kits from what I can see. And for some a place to start that doesn't require the skills and tools a kit does. Nothing I have seen to this point leads me to believe these AM saws are and alternative solution to a serious saw user for the much better build quality of the OEM's. Nothing. The ones I see still will need tactical replacement of parts to be truly useful and over the years the AM parts have been a moving target so nothing I have seen has changed my view of that even with these compete saws. So I will continue to say to all who will listen, if you expect to spend money on AM and get OEM levels of quality and reliability you will be disappointed. If you are a pro and see a cheap alternative, you too will be disappointed, that's a bad business move. If you are a hobbyist and don't mind debugging these things and infact expect too, you can have a lot of fun with these saws, and the complete build might be a way to skip past skill and tool issues. I was able to develop the 660 versions into a useful tool, but it took.....2 years of learning what had to be swapped out and modified. Was that a cost effective use of time?? Heck no!! But hobby time isn't measured or quantified and work or business time. It was a challenge and fun for me. A reason to use the Lathe and now a mill. Just my experience. And its all documented. Looks like the 372 AM series are going to be about the same. This stuff is not for everyone...not OEM. With the typical mindset, a huge waste of time and money. So if a person goes that way, please do it eyes open.

AND please consider from a cost / quality perspective, I was able to do the same hack and tack approach to OEM Husqvarna 390's and MAKE money as the results were something I felt good about selling. ALL OEM rebuilds. Picked over a box of 385/390 bones bought from a logger, they were used up. Added time and some new parts, put about $500 into the project. Sold two for $350 each. Hobby turned "cost positive". That's the alternative to the AM thing. I am going to do more of that, starting with Husqvarna 372's, Stihl 441's and 461s. Stay tuned.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Phil_Oz

Quote from: weimedog on December 19, 2018, 10:46:39 AM....If you are a hobbyist and don't mind debugging these things and infact expect too, you can have a lot of fun with these saws, and the complete build might be a way to skip past skill and tool issues....
Thanks for the thoughtful reply - that's the takeaway for me.

....I would buy a saw a month if I let my discipline down, but don't - SWMBOB ('her inside') wouldn't be impressed any ways I'm sure - but she is somewhat used to me having old radios and camp stoves collecting in dark places anyway.
I'm just getting into this as a hobby - retirement looms and IMHO you need a variety of things to do - not that I have much of a problem with that.

Clones do attract for the reasons you outline for a hobbyist. They could also be a cheap pathway to a big saw for very occasional use - and otherwise sit on the shelf as a conversation piece.

mredden

Quote from: Phil_Oz on December 19, 2018, 04:28:20 AM
Its been raining a lot here lately, so I've spent a lot of time on the 'puter. A byproduct of getting into this forum is I've read many threads and (I think) started exploring the saw subculture that is out there.

One thing I have found is that the (usually Chinese) clones that are out there have a real following - Farmertec/ Holzfforma being one example.

Many of the hard core saw users seem to go for a clone of the bigger Stihls and Huskys, mod them, put selected OEM parts on them, and seem to get a good package going for way less than half the price of an OEM saw.

Yes, there are some issues I can see with copyright for example - Stihl and Husky put a lot of R&D into these designs - only to have the chinese simply copy them.

On the other hand, I'm in Oz - even taking exchange rate into account, we probably pay up to twice what you guys in Nth America do (that is probably an agent/wholesaler issue, but the OEMs DO licence said wholesalers too - so the ethics of it cuts both ways IMHO).

Devil With The Blue Dress On! First Look At the Holzfforma G660, ( Remember That Song?) - YouTube

Actually, the word for design protection of mechanical designs is "PATENT" rather than "copyright" but I'm just nitpicking there. In the U.S., Germany, Sweden and most other countries, patent rights only last 20 years. Imagine if Crapper Ltd. was the only company that could make toilets. It appears to me that the saws sold by Farmertec/Holz/Hutzl are copies of saws which are well over 20 years old. Thus, the originators like Stihl and Husqvarna have no ownership of the saw design.
The 070 clone appears to be very popular. Stihl no longer manufacturers them (at least for the US and Western European countries). They have moved on to lighter, more efficient, safer and less polluting designs that they have patented. I doubt Stihl still even makes 070 parts anymore. (I could be wrong, but I can't see that being cost effective for them).
Anyway, I'm just glad that Farmer/Holzff/Hutzl are becoming something of a recognizable name because that MAY cause them to be more demanding of quality control by the (probably independent) manufacturers they buy from.

Air Lad

Quote from: Phil_Oz on December 19, 2018, 04:28:20 AM

Interesting video's Phil_Oz. 
I bought a Chinese version of something from Trade Tools about 9 yrs ago
It's  a 51.2cc/20 inch bar 325 chain  the original I haven't a clue ? 
They still sell an upgraded version and call it a Renegade
Anyway what I wanted to say is that apart from a failed coil at 3 months (warranty)this beast had gone great
I am not a pro . Just cut heaps of firewood and maintain a couple of propertys
The timber being cut for the fire is predominantly Ironbark which is fairly testy on a saw
It has an adjustable oiler, alloy body with plastic covers, Walbro carby, Oregon bar.
Got better saws now but cannot part with this as a backup
I'm new but willing to weigh in
Cheers

Old Greenhorn

I too have been thinking of one of these for those 'once in a while' trees. Looking at the 372XP clone (71cc) and the question that holds me back is: You buy this saw off the internet and it shows up, but when it doesn't run, has a defective part, or the blasted computer needs an 'update' where do you go? Nobody locally is gonna touch these saws, I wouldn't if I was a service guy. How are these guys with warranty parts? Anybody know? Right now I am thinking 'you pays your money, you takes your chances' and you are on your own. Curious what others have found.
Tom
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Phil_Oz

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on January 09, 2019, 08:54:33 AM
.... Nobody locally is gonna touch these saws, I wouldn't if I was a service guy. How are these guys with warranty parts? Anybody know? Right now I am thinking 'you pays your money, you takes your chances' and you are on your own. Curious what others have found.
Tom
True, but i think weimedog's comment holds true. If you go this route, it's best suited to a hobbyist who is willing to tinker on his own workbench. You don't have to - but if you need support - that support is you.

Craig_S

While I was on seasonal layoff this winter (the first time that ever happened and it was wonderful), I bought a complete aftermarket 070 and a "kit" 660.

Put the kit together with ONLY parts that came with it (no OEM). Before that my chainsaw experience was limited to changing chains and adding gas and oil. My kit had no labeling at all, and with no experience I had to watch literally hours of YouTube and take pages of notes to figure out what went where and in what order.  

The 070 is my dedicated mill saw (in a Chinese Granberg copy of course). I ordered the 070 direct from Hutzl in China before I read about the 660's and also before I found HL Supply. Not knowing when the Chinese shipment would arrive (turned out to be less than two weeks) and second guessing my saw choice, I decided to order the 660 from HL Supply. I'm glad I have the 070 for milling but was at first disappointed I spent the money on it - until I used it. Now I could almost do without the 660. Patience and research were never my thing.

Both saws started on the second or third pull the first time and have every time after that as well. I never had a big saw before these and probably never would have spent the money to get a legit Still either. To me they were a great way to try this hobby without a huge investment and I couldn't be happier. If either one of them ever explodes or is abducted by aliens it'll get replaced with the same thing.

Craig

air1514

I too have been thinking of one of these for those 'once in a while' trees. Looking at the 372XP clone (71cc) and the question that holds me back is: You buy this saw off the internet and it shows up, but when it doesn't run, has a defective part, or the blasted computer needs an 'update' where do you go? Nobody locally is gonna touch these saws, I wouldn't if I was a service guy. How are these guys with warranty parts? Anybody know? Right now I am thinking 'you pays your money, you takes your chances' and you are on your own. Curious what others have found.
Tom
You take the same chances when buying new Stihl saws for commercial use. The warranty is only 30 or 60 days I think.   I bought a new 661 and after about 3 months , it ran so rich couldn't hardly even use it. I took it in and they worked on it but then tried charging me like 300 bucks for parts and labor. I threw a fit to Stihl and they covered the parts while I paid for the labor. Saw ran good for about 3 more months and the same again. It's been sitting in a corner ever since. I'm not putting 200 dollars into it every 3 months.  

Old Greenhorn

The post you replied to is over a year and a half old. I did buy that saw and it runs darn good and cuts like a bandit. It's not a Husky, but I know that and have different expectations. It has had minor issues, all 5 minutes fixes. I'm happy with it.  But in the 16 months I have had it, only have about 15 tanks of gas through it, so there is that.
As for your issue, that is admin edit to me. You need to find another dealer. Fight with you over a 3 months old saw? then doe the work, get paid for it, and you have the same problem? There is a rat in that woodpile somewhere.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Spike60

Can be interesting when older threads are brought back to life. Occasionally any of us could have a different take on something a year or 2 later.

I agree with Old Greenhorn's comments. For occasional use and need for a larger saw these things are not a bad alternative. There is a risk, and as long as the buyer can live with that, have some fun with it. There is a place or "room" for these things in the saw world. We do actually work on the clone 372's once in a while. I got a 372 kit from weimedog and got to see it part by part. It can be maintained with OEM parts. And there are more models coming.

Another reason that hobby/collector guys can fine these interesting is it's a second chance to get a model that is no longer made, and at a low price. There's reportedly a 288 coming. Yes it's not the real thing, but try and find a 288 in real nice shape out there. :)

What has changed though the last two years is that there are several "dealers" out there that are buying the 10 packs of these saws and then retailing them. This is HUGELY illegal. The reason these saws can no longer be sold is because they are no longer emissions compliant designs. Not a big deal for an individual buying a saw direct for themselves. "Hey, I went online and ordered a saw. What do I know?" But setting yourself up as a dealer; well now you are an "importer" in the eyes of the EPA. Sooner or later, one of these poor guys is going to be really poor; as in pennyless. The fines will be staggering.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Real1shepherd

There's kind of an ironic tragedy in all this. The AM saws are usually based on older OEM designs, right? Well, to me it's more fun to get the real OE saws and source parts to make them well again. I can't speak for Squeal anything, but I can for Jonsereds and the big Huslky 2100.  

To me, that's the "hobby" part, bringing these old gals back to their former glory. In truth, if the AM's came out with a 2100 clone, I'd be very interested in the parts themselves that aren't critical; like top covers and AF covers etc. 3D printing was going to save all the hobbies across the world by printing up obsolete and unobtainium parts. Except for things like the plastic fan on a J'reds 70E, printing has been a dismal failure for the average saw hobbyist. The machines that can make durable parts are insanely expensive, commercial and they take many hrs to make just one part. This understandably leaves a high price tag for rendered parts.

Someday, 3D printing will be a salvation in a different landscape then now and after I'm dead. Right now I hold no stock in it for our hobbies. I guess what I'm saying is....for the amount of hrs devoted into making AM saws work with OEM parts, doesn't it make more sense to find the real deal used and make it whole again? Or is it just the 'challenge' thing to some?

Analogous to buying a pure-bred dog. Honest pure-bred breeders spend their lifetimes holding to a breed standard set in the AKC(US). All the breeds that you know and love are still around because of good breeders from eons past. But if you want a lookalike or just a dog companion, you can go down to the pound and buy any mutt cheap.

Which is more interesting and pertinent to your particular hobby needs? Well, that's a choice for only you to decide.

Kevin

countryboy78

Quote from: Spike60 on August 08, 2020, 07:11:12 AM
Can be interesting when older threads are brought back to life. Occasionally any of us could have a different take on something a year or 2 later.

I agree with Old Greenhorn's comments. For occasional use and need for a larger saw these things are not a bad alternative. There is a risk, and as long as the buyer can live with that, have some fun with it. There is a place or "room" for these things in the saw world. We do actually work on the clone 372's once in a while. I got a 372 kit from weimedog and got to see it part by part. It can be maintained with OEM parts. And there are more models coming.

Another reason that hobby/collector guys can fine these interesting is it's a second chance to get a model that is no longer made, and at a low price. There's reportedly a 288 coming. Yes it's not the real thing, but try and find a 288 in real nice shape out there. :)

What has changed though the last two years is that there are several "dealers" out there that are buying the 10 packs of these saws and then retailing them. This is HUGELY illegal. The reason these saws can no longer be sold is because they are no longer emissions compliant designs. Not a big deal for an individual buying a saw direct for themselves. "Hey, I went online and ordered a saw. What do I know?" But setting yourself up as a dealer; well now you are an "importer" in the eyes of the EPA. Sooner or later, one of these poor guys is going to be really poor; as in pennyless. The fines will be staggering.
that is not true,  dealers got the epa certificate to be able to sell the saws. not sure how they passed it with how different the exhausts are compared to any new saw but they where able to send all the info to the dealers to show that they have passed whatever tests the epa made them do... 

Spike60

You gotta be kidding. Where'd the certificate come from, farmertec?  :D  The EPA doesn't send such things to individual dealers. 

It is "not true" that these clone saws can possibly be made to pass current emissions requirements. The original saws are unable to do so, or the OEM's  would still be selling them here. And there are no changes to the fake saws to improve them in that area. The only differences in the exhausts are the mufflers are made of thinner/cheaper metal. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

countryboy78

yes it is true, i will get screen shot of the certificate, yes we need the epa certificate saying they passed to sell them in the states just like any chainsaw.. even though not really a stihl saw has 1000 hrs run to pass the epa test however the farmertec saws only had to pass a 50 hr test is it right no but are there ways to get around stuff apparently so.. when i go to the shop 2maro i will get a pic of the certificate saying they passed and now have an epa number if i dont get side tracked.. i suppose its just like anything else if there is away to get around it legally there is always someone thats able to figure it out.. im not sure how they did it but they did and it is new like late december new.. 

sawguy21

A lot of these products are slid in under the radar partially disassembled as parts then finished to get around emission laws. The importer (which you sound like) can supply any 'certificate' he wants
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

weimedog

I don't know much about the dealer thing with these, where there is a market, there will be someone to leverage it I guess. I'm still on the "Hobby" mindset where on a cold snap you can order a "saw puzzle" and have a little clean fun with out all the dirty parts and parts cleaning required to do this on a place IN the house... I had fun with my kits. Especially the 660's. Part of the fun WAS the debug. I would never do that for resale though, just to scratch an itch once in a while. There are a lot of dealers now it seems, and at least one possibly two locally. I do know of a fellow who buys and sells into the Amish community. One of the local OEM dealers thought it was me! And I had to correct that in a HURRY! He started getting in repaired with AM Stihl's and Husqvarna's. I never put AM on an OEM saw for the guys I do work for unless they HAND me the parts and tell me to do so. And I don't work on any AM saws unless it in my "testing" program or it's my personal use on the farm saw...of which I have a few. 3 660's, a pair of 372 based saws left, and a JohnCutter 2500 & 5800. All are doing fine BTW. But my "hobby" has taken me to old L77's and Jonsereds. With a few 48mm 365 builds. Funny thing is when the temps dove into the single digits and wind to double digits I went back to my trusty UOMS 555/562 Autotune

On the EPA or safety certification thing, again an individual is eye's open and can do what they please I guess. Again selling to the public has to be a different deal. Maybe one of these guys can answer the certification questions if they are here on this board:

These are listed as dealers on the Facebook page so I'm sure they won't mind a little more exposure, and If you are interested in them; I'm sure these guys can help, might take less time for shipments, stuff being here in the States:

A. Smith, OHIO, USA, 330-590-1067

B. Scott. , WA, USA, 425-508-0102

L. Bielfelt, Iowa USA, 515-230-9281

D. Rossa, CT USA, 860-986-2696

C. Wagner, PA USA, 765-318-1011

J. Ray, MT USA, 605-515-0614

B. Lyndaker, NY USA, 315-783-6251

B. Fox, NY USA, 315-942-5121

C. L. Schofield, MO USA, 417-824-3902  

D. Khorosh, NY USA, 845.745.2338

R. Finzel and J. Crawford, MD, USA, 301-697-7985

And if one of u fellows is here , please chime in and educate us old curious farts :)

Old Man Being Chased By A Tree :) ( From YouTube "Autotunes" Video )
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Spike60

Still hoping we'll be able to see that EPA certificate; and where it actually comes from.  :)

Also, the way that hours rating works is that the saw must remain in compliance for the duration of it's hours rating. 50, 300, whatever it may be. So, a non compliant saw will be be that way from the first time you start one up. It's never compliant, not one hour, not 50, and not 1000.

Some saws such as the 372XT copy might actually be compliant as it is based on a compliant design. But it still must be submitted for testing to get it's certification. Can't just piggy back it on the OEM saw's certification.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

StihlMagnum440

Quote from: air1514 on August 07, 2020, 02:58:05 PM
Tom
You take the same chances when buying new Stihl saws for commercial use. The warranty is only 30 or 60 days I think.   I bought a new 661 and after about 3 months , it ran so rich couldn't hardly even use it. I took it in and they worked on it but then tried charging me like 300 bucks for parts and labor. I threw a fit to Stihl and they covered the parts while I paid for the labor. Saw ran good for about 3 more months and the same again. It's been sitting in a corner ever since. I'm not putting 200 dollars into it every 3 months.  
I have three OEM Stihl chainsaws I bought new from Stihl dealers and not one of the saws after years of use have had problems.  My StihlMagnum440 has had a spark plug change an a new air cleaner after being run logging and cutting firewood for 14 years.  You should take your saw to another dealer.  I have bought a complete aftermarket 440 kit and the parts are no where near the quality of OEM.  A clone saw vs a OEM Stihl has no where near the quality, durability, performance or resale value of a Stihl saw. Take that saw to another dealer!

Thank You Sponsors!