iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 25, 2021, 06:41:01 PMBut they howl at night in a pack between 2:00 and 5:00 am when they are near. It's funny, the dogs in the neighborhood don't bark at them. But if one dog barks in the night, another dog always replies. Now that is odd or them dogs are scared of howling coyotes.

Our dog always wants to go outside and join in when he hears the coyotes singing. He hasn't seemed to get the message that this is a tenors-only choir. As a definite baritone, he just doesn't fit in.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

BargeMonkey

Black Friday @ Palmetto was expensive but I got the new coyote slayer I wanted, over run with them here. Once you go thermal you don't go back, makes the NV I've got look like a joke. 
Quote from: Southside on November 24, 2021, 08:09:55 PM
Must be a Kobelco option @BargeMonkey . Mine had the "Earth Contour Track" system on it too but I decided to change it out.  :D

Never the text message you want 🤦‍♂️ I figured it was going to happen, he's careful but doing that much stumping.

That bucket isn't handy for putting a track back on, did 80% of it with the skidder. That machines had rollers, idler / sprocket and chain in the last 1500hrs, over all its nice shape, 6300hrs now. 

Never enough hours in the day 🤦‍♂️ 

The yearly ritual of putting hay equipment away. 

I got a turkey sandwich, they got 2nd cut balage 🤷‍♂️😆 

mike_belben

Boy you really got the beans above the frank on that digger there bud
Praise The Lord

sumday

BargeMonkey

Quote from: sumday on November 25, 2021, 08:59:35 PM
I've tried not to look at Palmetto
🤦‍♂️😆.... one of the better toy stores for adults. 

sumday

barbender

I haven't spent any money there yet, but when I finally get out the wallet it's going to be expensive. I'd like to start with a PA10 and one of those braced AR pistols would make a dandy truck and forwarder gun. I haven't shot one, but a 10" .223 barrel seems like it would have a lot of muzzle blast. Anyone have any experience with them?
Too many irons in the fire

Bruno of NH

I have a 10" contender in .223 not bad at all.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

sumday

I haven't noticed any more muzzle blast etc than a 16"

Lebel Logging

Hello everybody ! Here a couple of pics of the last few week. I'm almost done with the thinning in the sugar bush. Today we have snow and Im in a hurry to remove tree that have fall over my tube. I do it before there too much snow. 

here is a nice eastern white cedar, they grow in deep swamp or on the hill around here. The hill one have more branch.

<br

This is a nice cedar I cut. We dont waste anything in those. The butt and the first log goes for shingles, the next 12 feet to make a post for the windbreaker for my dad cows. The last two 8 footer goes for post for the electric fence for my dad cows too.

Here a little ugly cedar and a tree that we call "cormier" or "sorbier" in french. It usually dont come that big, probably the biggest I've seen. I dont know how you call it ? ???  it make red berry that the ruffed grouse and other birds like to eat in the winter, some time the berry stay all the winter on them. 

Thats a nice sized yellow birch that got mushroom on it at 16 feet and strange pattern in wood of the butt. First time I see those pattern. What can have cause this ? :P ???

They says you cant smell a picture  :D I bet those of you that have cut yellow birch can smell that one  :)

<br

The big leaning tree in this pics was a big over age aspen that was roofing some nice little hard maple and yellow birch. I manage to cut it sideway and safe them. I only break a few limb on a 16 inch maple and a few on a white birch nothing major. He was mostly pulp wood because of the rot and some mushroom.

cutterboy

Lebel, thanks for all the pictures. I haven't cut any good sized yellow birch but I've cut black birch and it has a nice minty smell. Does yellow birch smell like mint too?
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Lebel Logging

@cutterboy  it smell a bit minty but with a kind of sweet twist of sugar. Im not really good to describe a scent  hahaha :D its completly different of the white birch scent. We dont have black birch around here so I guess its similar  :)

cutterboy

Hi all. I want some more white birch lumber so this week I went after two of them. My white birch are not large diameter trees like my oak and pine but I was able to get some 13" and 14" logs plus several smaller diameter short ones.

These logs won't be sawed till early spring so they are stacked up against the barn on the north side so they will be in shade most of the time. Also when the snow falls off the barn roof it will cover the logs.
After the first tree I cut a standing dead birch which was bigger  and got some nice logs from it.

I sell a fair amount of birch lumber to two guys who make toys and another guy who makes spoons. Now I've got a stash of logs to saw in the spring.

Happy cutting.....Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Plankton

Making hay when the sun don't shine. 

Something peaceful about forwarding in the dark I've been enjoying it lately which I guess is good since theres not much daylight anymore haha.

Resonator

Quote it smell a bit minty but with a kind of sweet twist of sugar. Im not really good to describe a scent  hahaha  its completly different of the white birch scent. We dont have black birch around here so I guess its similar
Yellow Birch is similar to wintergreen in flavor. You can also make syrup from the sap, but it takes 100 to 1 ratio to boil it down. I've read that some drink the sap straight for it's health benefits. Black Birch is used to make Birch beer (similar to root beer) made by boiling the bark to get the extract, instead of the root like Sassafras.
Whenever I cut Yellow Birch on my property, deer love to browse on the tops and stampede the snow after I leave. I've also found to really get the minty fragrance, just run a few branches through a chipper. ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Lebel Logging

Quote from: Resonator on November 26, 2021, 08:04:01 PM
Quoteit smell a bit minty but with a kind of sweet twist of sugar. Im not really good to describe a scent  hahaha its completly different of the white birch scent. We dont have black birch around here so I guess its similar
Yellow Birch is similar to wintergreen in flavor. You can also make syrup from the sap, but it takes 100 to 1 ratio to boil it down. I've read that some drink the sap straight for it's health benefits. Black Birch is used to make Birch beer (similar to root beer) made by boiling the bark to get the extract, instead of the root like Sassafras.
Whenever I cut Yellow Birch on my property, deer love to browse on the tops and stampede the snow after I leave. I've also found to really get the minty fragrance, just run a few branches through a chipper. ;D
Yes you can tap white and yellow birch. They give more water than a maple but half or less the sugar. There a guy in Gaspésie that tap 10 K yellow birch and some white too. You have to be careful to make birch syrup, if you boil it like maple syrup you will end up with a black molasse that taste burned wood. Boil it slow. It give a pretty dark syrup and the taste and smell is really different than maple syrup. Its a niche market.
I have a nice few acre of nice white birch that I have thin last year, I want to tap them one day. Also they leak after the maple around here, like early may to late may.  Birch syrup value is nearly 4 times the maple syrup value but the market is narrow.

Bruno of NH

Quote from: Lebel Logging on November 27, 2021, 08:34:48 AM
Quoteit smell a bit minty but with a kind of sweet twist of sugar. Im not really good to describe a scent  hahaha its completly different of the white birch scent. We dont have black birch around here so I guess its similar
Yes you can tap white and yellow birch. They give more water than a maple but half or less the sugar. There a guy in Gaspésie that tap 10 K yellow birch and some white too. You have to be careful to make birch syrup, if you boil it like maple syrup you will end up with a black molasse that taste burned wood. Boil it slow. It give a pretty dark syrup and the taste and smell is really different than maple syrup. Its a niche market.
I have a nice few acre of nice white birch that I have thin last year, I want to tap them one day. Also they leak after the maple around here, like early may to late may.  Birch syrup value is nearly 4 times the maple syrup value but the market is narrow.
I think it's more used for flavor in cooking.
I hear it's very strong
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Lebel Logging

Quote from: Bruno of NH on November 27, 2021, 02:45:01 PM
Quote from: Lebel Logging on November 27, 2021, 08:34:48 AM
I have a nice few acre of nice white birch that I have thin last year, I want to tap them one day. Also they leak after the maple around here, like early may to late may.  Birch syrup value is nearly 4 times the maple syrup value but the market is narrow.
I think it's more used for flavor in cooking.
I hear it's very strong
Yes its pretty strong   :D  I have taste it and I made a face  :D 
For cooking its excellent, the taste is near balsamic vinegar, probably good in salad dressing  :)

BargeMonkey

I keep saying another week 🤦‍♂️😆 

back into better wood I get across the wall. 

barbender

Yeah you've been saying that for two years now, I started to tune it out😁😂
Too many irons in the fire

kanoak

Finally got one more than just interesting. Eucalyptus deglupta; 32" DBH. Planted in 1998. "A" quality site with a light gap to the south.

40' to the first branch.

Aloha,
Kanoa

BargeMonkey

☝ buddy that's pretty nice looking. And planted in 1998 ? That's a 90-120yr old tree here. 

BargeMonkey

Quote from: barbender on November 27, 2021, 11:20:56 PM
Yeah you've been saying that for two years now, I started to tune it out😁😂
I've been starting late and quitting early, production is down, I left the buncher at 7pm 🤦‍♂️😆 I keep saying just a couple more jobs, bought 2 more today I shouldn't have I'm going to cut on my way home. 

mike_belben

Ya cant run off and leave skiddergirl to some other cutter.  
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!