iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Outdoor Grilling - Over Stainless Steel Mesh

Started by joncro55, July 11, 2012, 02:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joncro55

All,

What is the best size of stainless steel mesh to use as a cooking surface or "grill" over the fire when cooking deer meat...

http://www.bwire.com/ - this is a good reference guide as far as sizing goes, but I am just curious as to what size you guys have been using.  I usually use something with really large openings, but I am not 100% sure this is the right direction to be going.  Does anyone use 2 layers of mesh/screens to cook?

beenthere

I cook venison on the ceramic bars of my grill. Do not use a mesh.

But much will depend on the cut of meat that you are asking about.

I usually grill the loins either butterfly or sliced 1 - 1 1/2" thick.

Venison best if done rare. IMO
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

joncro55

Agree 100% on it being best done rare, which is why I use the mesh.  I let it cook for a very small amount of time and then just let it sit on the hot metal.

beenthere

OK
I don't understand what the mesh has to do with anything, but as long as it works for you, great! :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

joncro55

Basically just wondering what size grid/mesh people use to cook, thats all...
anyone?

Raider Bill

Do you mean mesh to cook over a open fire or on a grill?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Mooseherder

I use the standard size that comes in replacement parts for grills for cooking all meats.  I'm in the market for smaller grates to hold charcoal though.  The one I have now is the same size as the cooking surface and the coals drop a lil' too soon.  The standard hardware stores don't have what I need.

joncro55

I would go with a finer wire mesh or perforated metal.  Maybe like .25 inch openings?

Try here:

www.mcmaster.com

or

http://www.bwire.com/

They have a better selection than the hardware stores.

joncro55

Thank You Sponsors!