iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is it possible to OD on tomatoes?

Started by Bibbyman, July 31, 2011, 03:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgy Loner

I use stakes because they're cheap (free) and weave twine between the stakes as the tomatoes grow to hold them upright. Usually 1 stake every 2 plants works fine. I prefer cages, but I haven't made that capital investment yet.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Raider Bill

My growing season is done. I have a couple peppers and watermelons still hanging on but everything else burnt to a crisp.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

blackfoot griz

I got tired of the flimsy cages and built some out of 3/8 rod. Basically, 3 hinged inverted "A" frames that fold flat for storing.  I can sit on one without fear. Overkill maybe, but they should last forever.

Dodgy Loner

Wife and I found another use for our tomatoes last night. I really love making homemade spaghetti sauce, and I often use it as a base for my chili. However, it takes a lot of work and you can get the same results using fresh tomatoes as the base for your chili. Here's what we did:

Cut the stems and blemishes off of your tomatoes and pulse them in the blender, adding more until you get 3-4 cups of liquid.

We put about 3 cups of tomato puree into the crockpot and added:

1 diced onion
2 diced banana peppers
2 diced jalapenos
1 cob of sweet corn (just the kernels, not the whole cob ;) )
1 can black beans (liquid and all)
1 can chili beans (liquid and all)
1 lb ground venison

Season with:
Chili powder
Minced garlic
Italian seasoning
Minced chives
Fresh black pepper

I didn't measure any of the seasoning. It's just to taste.

Simmer for at least four hour in the crockpot and enjoy! We had ours with jalapeno cheddar cornbread. Oh, and don't forget to turn the A/C on full blast before you eat! There's something just not right about eating chili while it's hot :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

ely

i use the stakes usually, 3 or 4 to a plant with hay twine wrapped aronud the plants to form a basket. this year i did the wire baskets made of concrete wire. i have roughly 25 plants, my mother is the tomatoe queen, ours are just now turning color and we have been eating hers for a month now. she has some that will cover a slice of store bought bread with one slice.

Bandmill Bandit

If it is possible to eat to many tomatoes then I should be in ground many years ago.

I eat tomatoes 3 times a day in the summer when the garden is producing, besides most of the food that the little lady cooks around here has tomatoes of some kind in it.

The kids wonder why I am not red.

I would guess that I average 2 to 3 sandwich sized fresh tomatoes a day. I just weighed one of the vine ripened dozen I picked up friday at the farmers market. It is just under a pound. There are 3 left as of right now. I think you could say I live on them.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Chris Burchfield

I just picked my first four yesterday.  Looking forward to BLT's for lunch today.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

bull

finishing up posts and wire today !!!

Bibbyman

Now that's what I call one big tomato!  It weighs over 3 pounds.

This is the first tomato out of the truck patch ran by our farmer neighbor.  He knew I was waiting for new tomatoes so he saved this one.

It's a monster!  Actually,  it's a clump of tomatoes grown together.  I broke it in two this morning and have broken two smaller sections off the small half.  I had one part with breakfast and another just now for lunch. The taste is a bit less acidy than the tomatoes we've been getting. Very good!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

SwampDonkey

Mine are just beginning to flower. They are tiny tims so I suspect in 3 weeks, more than I could ever eat. I have some lettuce up ready to east, onions, and some new jalapinos as big as your little finger. The leaves on the peppers have some black color to them. Don't know what that is, hope it ain't blight.  :-X :-\
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

We have had a bumper crop of tomatoes, and they are still going gangbusters.

We have been getting about this many every three or four days.  So far, my wife has put up 34 quarts, so there will be stewed tomatoes this winter  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bull

We pick our tomatoes all vine ripe *( Red )* !!! Those arent ready for my customers !!!

DouginUtah

From the savvygardener newsletter:

Red pigments in tomatoes don't form above 95°F so tomatoes ripened in extreme heat will have a orange-red color. Tomatoes held at cooler temperatures will ripen slower. You can speed up or slow down the ripening process by raising the temperature (to an optimum of 85°F) or lowering the temperature (to a minimum of 50°F). Tomatoes develop their optimum flavor, nutrition, and color when the tomato is in the full red ripe stage but this doesn't have to occur on the plant!
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

WDH

They turn red in the house very fast.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

WDH and family are probably the biggest customers. ;D

We always ripened the surplus in brown paper grocery bags and placed in a  closet. Always worked. ;) We usually picked them this way when they got over loaded on the vines and worried about blight. When you have acres of potatoes around on farms and blight hits the garden (potatoes and tomatoes) they have to be destroyed by law.

Lately, I have been seeing more and more corn, canola and beans around.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bibbyman

Just a few weeks ago we had to shop around to get tomatoes for $2.00/lb.  Now they're in season and tomatoes are coming in free faster than eat them.   Mary delivered a small order the other day and came home with 10 lbs of tomatoes as a tip.  She assured them that she already had plenty but they insisted she take them.

We're eating tomatoes with every meal.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!