iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

insurance

Started by garyfg, February 03, 2017, 04:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garyfg

Where do you guys get your sawmill casulity insurance? I don't need liability because I won't saw for anybody but me. Hate to pull that new saw in from Mo Tuesday and have a wreck.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Anything I pull behind my truck is covered under my truck insurance.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

terrifictimbersllc

My State Farm truck policy wouldn't cover damage to my sawmill on the road.  It would cover liability in a road accident, if my miil, being towed, caused damage.  Loss to my sawmill either on the road or at a job site or at home is covered by my "inland marine" policy which I bought through a local independent insurance agent.  I doubt I would bother with this expense if I were not frequently towing it on the road.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WV Sawmiller

Gary,

Have you talked to your insurance agent? If you are just sawing for yourself you may be covered just like as if you were towing a boat or RV. I'd check with them first.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

garyfg

I am two different ones  I have been waiting sense 10 this morning on one, 3 this afternoon on the other

rl

read the fine print.  most vehicle policies cover any thing you're towing with liability   ....that means any damage to others property.... not the piece of whatever you are towing itself....
rl

garyfg

I have decided no more answers than I got on my question not many people have insurance. I would have thought for fire, theft and casualty it wouldn't be any different than a tractor.

terrifictimbersllc

What's the scoop on your tractor insurance?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

garyfg

I don't have it anymore but it was so much per thousand. Can't remember how much

Bruno of NH

I put my mill on my home owners
I don't move it
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: garyfg on February 04, 2017, 11:05:09 AM
I don't have it anymore but it was so much per thousand. Can't remember how much
That's the way it is with "inland marine" policy. Mine is through Liberty Mutual think it started out as "Peerless". About $110/thousand coverage.

pine

Mine is on an inland marine policy.  Very happy with the cost and language in the policy.  I also have my forestry mulcher on the same policy.
$1 per 100 value.

There is another thread on the topic from a month ago.
Link
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,94045.msg1449296.html#msg1449296

Darrel

I have my mill insured under my son's and my contracting business. But man was it hard to find a company that would also insure the mill. And it is expensive too. The forum has a sponsor that insures mills and such but only in 2 of the 50 states.

I also would like to know what others are doing.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

WV Sawmiller

TT,

Wow! That sounds awful high for any insurance. I checked and I think they wanted about $650 per $35K for an Inland Marine policy on my mill and I thought that was excessive especially when I could get $2 million liability for the same amount. I declined the IM as I can afford to self insure my mill but keep the liability as the risk is too great and some places require it. If nothing else is a selling point.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

woodweasel

I get mine thru....... Stanley McDonald Agency
                                1101 Main St. 
                                Onalaska, Wisconsin 54650
                               Tel # 608/788/6160

porcupine

Farm Bureau Insurance. Very reasonable.
Kubota M5040  2007
Kubota U35 Mini-Ex  2016
Brute Force 18-24 Firewood Processor 2022
Brute Force Grapple
Super Split HD
Logrite Cant Hook, Pickaroon
Stihl MS250, MS461, MSE 220
Lamar 16' Dump Trailer
Load Trail 20' Tilt Trailer

Darrel

Hey I'm a member of the farm bureau hadn't thought of them.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

alabama

You can purchase a temporary insurance policy just for towing the mill back home. Call up your insurance co and they should direct you in the right direction. I've done it for pulling an RV that I sold years back.
John 15:13
Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends.

garyfg

I have my house and farm with farm bureau. Agent didn't call back yet. Lady at office said they didn't have sawmill insurance

garyfg

FB called today and said they do not insure sawmills

alabama

You can't insure transport insurance for a specific date ? Contact a under writer?

garyfg

would not insure period

alabama

garyfg

They will not insure a sawmill for fire and casulity or libility

porcupine

You guys had me second guessing myself about my insurance coverage...so I contacted my FB agent this morning. I received and email and had some follow up questions.

His answer to my LT50 being transported is this:
"The sawmill is listed as a piece of farm equipment so it is covered in transport."

All my equipment is covered under "Blanket Farm Personal Property"

It's possible that the queries mentioned above were non farm policies.

Kubota M5040  2007
Kubota U35 Mini-Ex  2016
Brute Force 18-24 Firewood Processor 2022
Brute Force Grapple
Super Split HD
Logrite Cant Hook, Pickaroon
Stihl MS250, MS461, MSE 220
Lamar 16' Dump Trailer
Load Trail 20' Tilt Trailer

Thank You Sponsors!