iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Marketing photo for artist post card

Started by low_48, March 14, 2011, 11:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

low_48

I went to a studio Saturday to have this pic taken for some postcards I am going to get printed up. I am scheduled to have a one man  gallery show this fall. I'll be showing boxes, turnings, and maybe a couple pieces of furniture, so thought a mix would be good for the postcard. From left to right; natural edge maple burl box, hackberry hf, dyed curly maple hf, hackberry small hf, stack of cherry shaker boxes, natural edge blister maple bowl, 2 color filled catalpa hf, dyed sandblasted soft maple bowl. Thanks for looking.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

RavioliKid

Gorgeous stuff and a great photo!

Where is your show going to be?
RavioliKid

Burlkraft

Nice job  8)  8)

I really like the looks of that maple burl box

Awesome  ;)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

Man those are ALL fantastic! 8) 8) 8) 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

low_48

Quote from: RavioliKid on March 15, 2011, 07:15:44 AM
Gorgeous stuff and a great photo!

Where is your show going to be?

It's going to be at a gallery called Picture This Gallery, Peoria Heights, IL. As a reference, it's a half block north of the old Pabst Blue Ribbon plant. Does that location help?  ;)

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone. I'm really jazzed about this show. I've been woodworking here in Peoria for 35 years. For 8 of those I operated a small custom woodworking business, 3 years for Woodworker's Journal Magazine when it was published here, and for the last 12 as a model maker for Caterpillar. I kinda joke about this being on my bucket list, but I'm only 58. Hopefully I've got a fair amount of time to fill that bucket!

Dodgy Loner

Great work! You're clearly a talented woodworker. And I couldn't help but notice that you mentioned the Pabst Blue Ribbon plant in Peoria Heights, IL. My mom's dad worked there until my mom was 16 years old. Small world :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

low_48, you have some real talent there. Nice works of wood art.  Hope you have a blast at the show this fall. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Lud

Nice looking work that has a "look" that makes your hands want to touch them.  Well done!

Do you have a favorite finish?

I'm a mere 58 also, and if you turned two pieces a day for the next 10 years, you'd have nearly 8000 turnings and still be younger than a lot of folks on the Forum!    They'd have more posts and know a lot of stuff, but you'd have become a great turner with an awesome touch and a huge pile of shavings!! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Patty

Very nice indeed!!!!

I wish you the best of luck at your show!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

low_48

Quote from: Lud on March 18, 2011, 07:30:52 AM
Nice looking work that has a "look" that makes your hands want to touch them.  Well done!

Do you have a favorite finish?

I'm a mere 58 also, and if you turned two pieces a day for the next 10 years, you'd have nearly 8000 turnings and still be younger than a lot of folks on the Forum!    They'd have more posts and know a lot of stuff, but you'd have become a great turner with an awesome touch and a huge pile of shavings!! 8)

My favorite finish for the turnings, is two coats of really thin shellac, sand with 400, then 3 coats of Minwax wipe on poly (either gloss or satin). 0000 steel wool between the coats of poly. For the high gloss turnings, I then sand with Abralon to 4000. Then power buff on wax.

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone. I don't get much gushin' around the house anymore. The wife is pretty used to woodworking coming up from the basement for the last 35+ years.

metalspinner

The post card looks terrific. :)  The work on the card looks great, too.

Those stacking Shaker boxes are fun to make.  I am always surprised at the efficiency of design and process of making them.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!