Sponsors:

Windows in shop- yes or no?

Started by alan gage, August 27, 2020, 12:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan gage

For me it's a no.

What about you?

Alan

Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Den-Den

none in my shop.  If I was building one, I might put in a skylight (angled to the north) but not a regular window.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Texas Ranger

none, but would not mind a couple
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

sawguy21

I worked in a windowless shop for a year, the lack of natural light bothered me.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ljohnsaw

None.  I'm in a "daylight" basement with two exterior walls.  One is under a deck (dark) and the other has a outdoor closet taking up a big portion of the wall.  Besides, wall space is a premium for storing stuff.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jeff

Quote from: ljohnsaw on August 27, 2020, 02:03:48 PMBesides, wall space is a premium for storing stuff.

I have 3 windows in my polebarn and I am always wishing I could hang stuff where they are. I want to build a woodshop next spring and if I do, no windows.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sprucebunny

Got to be !!!! I went with a higher ceiling=wall space and extra windows.

It's an all purpose space. I have plants and grow lights on the south side, storage on wheels and room for a car in the middle and woodworking tools on the inside side.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Wudman

Windows in one end in mine for the fans.  Open the 8 foot door and get a good cross breeze blowing.  Couldn't stand the heat without it.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

low_48

I've done subterranean woodworking most of my life in our basement, and then the day job at Caterpillar where windows are very rare. Now that I am retired, I can't be outside enough. So windows would be a must for me now. 

Hilltop366

Yes.

I enjoy being able to look outside, my windows are up high enough to be able to put a bench under them and have a small shelf or board.

As sprucebunny mentioned high walls ( minimum 10" if you plan to work with plywood) are handy as well as adding high windows for natural lighting without taking up too much wall space.

I have not done this but another idea would be to put windows in the doors so you get windows without losing wall space.

Note: I say doors because I prefer to have more than one exit to a work shop in case of fire.

caveman

When we built our 50x75 metal building in 1991, we had five windows that are roughly 36" x 72" installed.  In retrospect, I wish we did not have windows.  They are covered with expanded metal so they are difficult to keep clean.  They reduce the amount of available wall space for hanging stuff and placement of pallet racks and shelves.  Big, roll up doors are more practical than windows for my uses.
Caveman

Don P

No sun, no fun, I gotta have daylight.

alan gage

I've built two shops now and neither have had windows. I'm sure I'll build another someday and it's doubtful it will have windows either. My shop is single use and that's for working. I've never found any desire for looking out windows when working in the shop and am happy to be able to place tools and storage anywhere. Also, most of my real time spent in the shop is winter evenings when it's dark anyway.

I have given thought to windows high up and out of the way for some natural light but haven't been able to justify the expense. I put in plenty of lights so the shop is bright and evenly lit. Artificial light doesn't bother me.

I do put windows in my walk-in and overhead doors so I'm not completely boxed in. If the weather and bugs permit I do enjoy working with all the doors open. The dog and cat love being able to go in and out at will too. I think my biggest enjoyment from having the doors and windows open comes from being able to hear the birds more than the view, which is a nice one of the lake.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

SwampDonkey

Windows for me, in the entry door (south side), and on the western side of the shop. I like natural light on my wood lathe area. My wall facing the road is a wood area, to the north is behind the stove and wall storage. But yes, do not 'over do' the windows. ;)

Hopefully the shop will be going up this coming spring.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

RussMaGuss

When I built my garage I put in nine 32"x16" glass block panels starting at 6'8" high. Lets in a ton of natural light as long as the sun's out. 2 garage doors on the south side I leave open as long as it's not too hot or cold. This week has been brutal though, making me wish I put in a window unit AC in the spring..

Brad_bb

My old shop had 2 small windows that were kindof a pain to open and close and the shades were pulled down all the time so no one could look in.  That shop was winter heated, but not conditioned in summer. Never knew if it was dark out yet, had to open the man door to see.

New shop is fully conditioned, lots of windows.  More secure area, I'm not afraid of anyone looking in.  I'll be able to see someone approaching, I'll see the animals and good views.  Only problem is now the cat wants a catio.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

doc henderson

my shop grew and grew as I planned it.  34 x 84 with a 34 x 34 welding, greasy garage area.  window in a row in the 18 foot garage door and a window on the other 2 walls.  the other 50 x 34 is the wood shop,  the basement underneath has 4 windows in the half above ground area.  the up stairs woodshop has 4 window and a 6 foot French door facing the house.  and 2 windows on each of the other walls.  If Libby barks, I can peak out and see who is here.  It meets egress in the basement and other code for a habitable space.  could be converted when we sell it to have two homes.   also sky light in the wood shop area, and with scissor trussed ceilings, it add to the aesthetic.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

flatrock58

I wanted windows for the natural light but didn't want to take up wall space or worry about break ins.  I have 4 windows up high on each end and one on the side.  Lots of light!  
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

DWyatt

Before reading this, I had never thought about windows up high in the wall. I have to have windows in my shop for some natural light, my mood feeds off of sunlight it seems. The new shop will now have windows high in the walls.

Crusarius

I was going to suggest windows over the doorways. Flatrock beat me to it.

It is really nice to see outside and know what the weather is doing. Especially if my work is about to take me outside.

windows in the garage door and man door are nice to.

caveman

Flatrock,
I love the board and batten with the metal down low to keep the pine (?) out of the splash zone.  That is a good looking building.  Our shop has two 10' roll up doors and one 12' roll up door.  I have considered adding a 4' 220v exhaust fan to get rid of heat and dust but have yet to install it.
Caveman

chet

Windows in my shop. I like dat warm cozy feeling I get working in my nice warm shop in winter, and seeing dat cold north wind blowin' da snow around.  :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

RPF2509

Two windows 6' up on the south side.  The get buried in snow in the winter.  Gotta have some natural light and see some sky.  If I need more ventilation or more light, up goes the 12' roll door.

kantuckid

24x32 shop bldg has 7 double hung windows. 5 are really salvage aluminum storm windows, one thats mulled is a  wood window bought as new damaged. I originally had 6 skylights made of white fiberglass corrugated panels. The clear plastic skylight materials stuff hadn't been invented when I was building and the old ones went too dark and I shingled over them long ago.
Natural light is great for detail work.  
CL & Facebook marketplace are absolutely full of windows for sale. For my current cabin build I wanted wood windows not white vinyl as most are now days and bought 4 high end Pella wood windows from a window installer that he'd removed. 
In the past ten years wood windows have become a high end only type of window but lots of plastic ones sell as cheap surplus NOS. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

LaneC

I think it would depend on what your shop would be used for. From my research, if you are a serious Traditional Woodworker, there was much planning in the building to allow the proper sunlight for the hours spent in the building. If a regular all purpose shop and you do not have to worry about power outages then you probably do not have to worry about windows. In the end it will just be a personal preference.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Trackerbuddy

Yes
I have my shop in the garage. We replaced the garage door and i had a door installed with windows. Much better 

kantuckid

Honestly, candidly spoken, this thread is about a question I'd never even ask. Not for a home shop! Maybe if a commercial building for production purposes. Or for a purpose other than custom woodworking. 
Much related to shop windows: Having great electric lighting matters too. I made a serious mistake towards saving money on my original shop lights which were public school salvaged lights bought cheapo with the tubes in place. I failed to consider the dust that accumulates on the top of the tubes and the difficulty in cleaning them! I did paint my ceiling white for light reflection.
As they wore out over many years I finally pulled them all and replaced with T8's having solid reflectors which still catch static dust but stay much brighter overall. I rejected the idea of going LED after talking to my electrical supplier who'd done that same thing of T8's vs. LED when they re-lighted their own large building. I saved two boxes of my old, big tubes for use in a bunch of shop lights having solid reflectors.  

alan gage

Quote from: kantuckid on September 19, 2020, 09:04:20 AMrejected the idea of going LED after talking to my electrical supplier who'd done that same thing of T8's vs. LED when they re-lighted their own large building. I saved two boxes of my old, big tubes for use in a bunch of shop lights having solid reflectors.  
I'm surprised to hear this. We've retrofitted all our t8 bulbs to led in our repair shop and are very happy. Local hardware store just did the same. When I built my shop last year I salvaged old t8 fixtures and converted them to led.
Alan

kantuckid

My three adult sons and everyone of the thousands of people who adore LED's will agree with you... :D
LED shop lights on my MC forum may just be one of the most common garage threads. 
I like my T8's just fine. I could care less if it takes a minute or two in cold weather to ramp up. 
I told the truth about the electric supply house choosing T8's and they were not selling me fixtures or bulbs. 

flatrock58

Caveman.  I put the metal on the bottom to prevent rot like i have on my old barn.  I wish I had been able to get poplar to side it instead of pine.  My doors are 13x16 and 12x12.

Here are some pictures inside with and without light.

2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

RPF2509

here's a LED question swerving off topic.  I've got FEIT led tubes in my shop and after the lights are turned off they continue to emit a faint glow, sometimes for days after being turned off - enough to see by once you eyes adapt.  Not sure what's going on here.  The ones in the garage do the same thing.  Circuits were installed by a professional electrician so I'm assuming it was done right.  Could it be a small voltage leakage?

SwampDonkey

Yesterday, it was wet, so I motored on down to Homedepot and picked up a couple single hung 36 x 30" windows and a 80" x 32" door with a small window. The widows was $266 each and the steel door with pre-drilled handle and dead bolt holes was $258, the odd thing was that a 36" is twice as much. You kidding me for 4"? ::) The windows go on the west side over my lathe - vise bench. :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

alan gage

Quote from: RPF2509 on September 24, 2020, 11:04:57 AM
here's a LED question swerving off topic.  I've got FEIT led tubes in my shop and after the lights are turned off they continue to emit a faint glow, sometimes for days after being turned off - enough to see by once you eyes adapt.  Not sure what's going on here.  The ones in the garage do the same thing.  Circuits were installed by a professional electrician so I'm assuming it was done right.  Could it be a small voltage leakage?
I've noticed LEDs continuing to glow for maybe 5-10 seconds but nothing more than that. That's both the shop tubes and the household screw ins.
Alan

Ianab

LED lamps contain phosphor. It's used to absorb some of the light spectrum the LED chip produces, and re-radiate it at a more desirable  spectrum. Hence "warm white" or "daylight" colour lamps, they have different phosphor layers. This is similar to "glow in the dark" stickers that kids use, or the phosphors on an old school watch, and can radiate light for some time after the source is off. 

The LEDs also contain electronics that store some energy in capacitors, sometimes enough to keep the lamp glowing slightly for several seconds. So a combinations of the 2 effects can make some lamps glow for some time. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

logbyr

I built my 40 x 60 pole barn without windows.    After filling it with dry lumber and a kiln I decided I wanted a small window on the wall opposite (60') from my doors in case of a fire.    Felt a little claustrophobic in the back.   

kantuckid

Windows- my cabin build windows are high end, wood inside-alu clad outside, Pella pocket double hung windows bought newish but used from a door & window installer off web.
My entry door is new prehung, solid pine interior door that came from HD, was 1/2 price and all I gotta do is make my own threshold to use it as an entryway. 
I've about quit on box stores...
I'm not a social media guy but FB Marketplace is THE! place to find stuff nowdays-such as anything in building materials, you name it. No fees, same real world we all live in so same freakishness as CL, etc...
BTW, lots of sawmillers muse it to advertise. 

RPF2509

Thanks Ianab;  I knew there was an explanation for the glow

aigheadish

Digging up the past...

My shop is still in progress, but built enough to use. I didn't even consider no windows and once I got to measuring I decided I wanted bigger windows (and the price difference was negligible), so in my (too small) 22x14 shop I have 3 36"x48" windows, 2 on the north side, one on the south side where there will also be a man door, and a theoretical for now 7'x16' garage door opening on the east side. I like to hang out in the shop as much as work in there and I couldn't handle not being able to see outside or get the air flow going. They are somewhat high off the floor so that helps put benches or tools in front of them without worry.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Jeff

So I did an experiment this winter, but not because of this topic, but relatedto and changed my mind.  I made internal foam shutters for my polebarn windows as I am geating it this winter, and I thought it would help with nighttime heat retention. 

While it helped with my goal, I took them all down this week. I hated it. I had plenty of led light, but even in a 30x40 open polebarn, it was clostraphobic.  I also lost the abilty to look out from the house the 100 paces to the barn and see if I forgot to turn the lights off.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

kantuckid

My perfect shop would have the same lighting as an art studio and someone else would pay the heat bill. :D
 Walls of glass suit me fine until late afternoon when trying to look into the sun over my pond it gets tough to see at my bench. 

alan gage

Quote from: Jeff on February 26, 2021, 07:57:06 AM
So I did an experiment this winter, but not because of this topic, but relatedto and changed my mind.  I made internal foam shutters for my polebarn windows as I am geating it this winter, and I thought it would help with nighttime heat retention.

While it helped with my goal, I took them all down this week. I hated it. I had plenty of led light, but even in a 30x40 open polebarn, it was clostraphobic.  I also lost the abilty to look out from the house the 100 paces to the barn and see if I forgot to turn the lights off.  :)
That's a good test.
I've been thinking about it this winter too. Most of my shop time comes during the winter in the evenings after work, which means I'm mostly working in the shop when it's dark. So why do I need windows? :)
One thing I really do enjoy during nice spring/summer/fall weather is working with all the doors open during the day. The dog and cat love being able to wander in and out on their own and I like hearing the birds.
Alan

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: alan gage on February 26, 2021, 09:51:35 AMThe dog and cat love being able to wander in and out on their own

I have just a man door.  I leave it open most of the time while working in the cave.  One dog will bring in a ball to set behind me to get me to trip and hopefully toss it outside.  The other will come in all sheepishly looking around and sniffing.  I'll ask her "what are you doing" and she wags her tail.  Then she will spot a scrap of wood, grabs it and runs out to chew it up.  Returns in a few minutes for more...  If nothing is around that she can find, I'll take a piece out of the scrap bucket to give her.  Makes her really happy.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

SwampDonkey

So I did an experiment this winter, but not because of this topic, but relatedto and changed my mind.  
Yep, the idea of a man cave is one thing, but to spend quality time in a man made cave any length of time is another. Plus the other reason you suggest. :D :D I'd like to be able to see through windows from the house into the shop to know if someone with a flash light in their hand is fishing around my stuff. :D

doc henderson

My German Shepard Libby has a bark that tells me "someone is here". and I go to a window to look out and see if it is a friend she is acquainted with and they will not be worried, or someone visiting my wife, sitting in their car cause the dog is barking, or UPS where some get out and are fine and others are worried.  windows in the  man door, and French doors.  windows in the garage door.  1 in the north, 2 in the south, 4 in the front, and 2 in the back.  and 4 in the basement of the shop.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

kantuckid

Quote from: alan gage on February 26, 2021, 09:51:35 AM
So I did an experiment this winter, but not because of this topic, but relatedto and changed my mind.  I made internal foam shutters for my polebarn windows as I am geating it this winter, and I thought it would help with nighttime heat retention.

While it helped with my goal, I took them all down this week. I hated it. I had plenty of led light, but even in a 30x40 open polebarn, it was clostraphobic.  I also lost the abilty to look out from the house the 100 paces to the barn and see if I forgot to turn the lights off.  :)
That's a good test.
I've been thinking about it this winter too. Most of my shop time comes during the winter in the evenings after work, which means I'm mostly working in the shop when it's dark. So why do I need windows? :)
One thing I really do enjoy during nice spring/summer/fall weather is working with all the doors open during the day. The dog and cat love being able to wander in and out on their own and I like hearing the birds.
Alan
Why, cause odds are you'll not always be in yer 40's! :) :) :), :D I head for the shop on mostly bad weather days and really like the connection with the real world outside, natural light too, of course. 

Old Greenhorn

Add me in the 'windows=YES' column. I worked my whole career in shops with few windows, too many windows (colder than a well digger in winter, hotter than heck in the summer), no windows, and one shop that only had 1 4x4' window (40,000 sq. ft.).
 I need the connection to outside and like to be able to look down the driveway and see either who is coming in, or who is driving by so I can keep up with any new equipment on the road. ;D Wish I could see down the drive from upstairs, but the angle is all wrong. Might add a camera and monitor for that someday. Most (OK, all) folks miss my driveway when they come the first few times, signs rarely help for some reason, so if I see them drive on by I walk down the drive to wave the next time they go by.
 I get sun coming in through the windows in the two bay doors during the day and that heats the slab up quite a bit. I like to keep an eye on the weather, keep an eye out for oddballs cruising the road for no apparent reason, Watch for delivery trucks, and I like to be able to keep an eye on the shop from the house in case something goes really wrong or I left the lights on (again).
 I don't like being in a cave, did that for too many years. Can't wait until the weather is better and I can open some doors!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Ed_K

When I rebuilt my sugar house I hadn't found any windows on the side of the road so it's still dark with 6 medium size led lights around the arch and over the wood lathe and one end of the building where I set up a small wood working area. The wood shed is on the house side so I can't see if the lights are on either :(.
Ed K

DR_Buck

I like windows.    But like Old Greenhorn posted above, I've worked the last 40 years in buildings and offices with almost no windows for security reasons and now I like to be able to see outside.    However, I also like wall space in the shop.  

My current shop/garage are the same building separated by an internal wall.  The garage side does not have windows and the woodshop side does not have windows on the walls.    However, both in this new shop and my previous on when we had the farm I put in double doors with windows that look out the front where I can see the house and driveway.  

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Andries

Windows = Yes.
How else is the shop dog going to keep track of rodents in trees?

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

farmfromkansas

I like windows for light and ventilation, but having windows and 3 garage doors, and 2 walk in doors, limits wall space.  Have built shelves where I can, maybe have to add shelves above the miter saw.  Running out of places to store stuff.  My shop is an old pole building that was here when I bought the place, 66x26. Being a tight wad, couldn't just tear it down and build a nice building, had to fix it up.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

aigheadish

Shelving, with windows in the way, will definitely be an issue as my shop starts to fill up. With very limited floor space I'm going to have to be very creative with storing all kinds of stuff on the walls, as well as decorations/signs/knickknacky junk, etc. I just took down my wall of storage in my old shop area so I can reorganize it a bit but now find that I have a bunch of junk with no where to go.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

doc henderson

I am still unpacking from our move.  I have boxes still not unpacked, in part as there is not place to put it.  finishing cabinets.  I have a big shelf over many window.  with 12 foot sidewalls.  I also have 4 skylights in the roof/ceiling.  I set small things on the window ledge.  did I mention we moved here 20 years ago, and built the shop in 2005.  I have done most of the interior on my own, between kids and work.  I heat and cool in the appropriate seasons.  for ventilation I open doors.  I might open a window 4 times a year.

aigheadish

Haha! Nice to hear I'm not the only one who takes a long time to get things done, though I have a feeling you @doc henderson live a much busier life than me...

doc henderson

most of us are busy, so many hours in a day.  I will take some pics to add later.  should make you feel better if you have a messy shop as well.   :D

alan gage

Quote from: doc henderson on March 02, 2021, 02:00:29 PM
I will take some pics to add later.  should make you feel better if you have a messy shop as well.   :D
Yes, please do. I always love seeing pictures of your shop. Not that I'm any better but it makes me feel good to know I'm not alone.

Actually my shop is better right now because it's only been built for a year so while it's already quite full the clutter is still building.

I did build this shop smaller than my last one. One reason was because of available building space and also because I realized I only used a relatively small percentage of my old one and that all that extra space let me pile and store things willy nilly. Hoping less space will force to me to keep things organized a bit more. I'll know how it worked out in 5 years or so.

I've already put shelving units and freestanding shelves for lumber on almost all the clear spaces of wall not taken up by doors or machines and I need to add more. Still glad I didn't put any windows in (the man door and overhead door both have windows).

Alan

doc henderson

neat as a pin!   :)  I have been organizing, but always look in the old place for stuff first. 

alan gage

Wow, impressive! Nice work.

I didn't see any shots of the floor though. :)

Alan

Thank You Sponsors!